E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Anyone running latest (2019) VRSF FMICs?

11-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #23
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Is there any way to read the Delta temps (temp of air going in vs temp of air coming out) on the FMIC's with the stock sensors on the car? That would be the best way to test the performance of the FMIC'S.

Just going off how fast the intake air temps rise can depend on all kinds of things....hard to really judge a FMIC just off of those numbers. You need Delta numbers to really compare them.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:13 PM   #24
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Is there any way to read the Delta temps (temp of air going in vs temp of air coming out) on the FMIC's with the stock sensors on the car? That would be the best way to test the performance of the FMIC'S.

Just going off how fast the intake air temps rise can depend on all kinds of things....hard to really judge a FMIC just off of those numbers. You need Delta numbers to really compare them.
That's a great question if someone knows?

My issue with my car is let's say it's 75* degrees out in moderate Southern California. My IAT's are idling around 110 once my car gets warm, oil temps at 240-245. If I do a couple pulls and do I 3rd gear log my IAT's rise from 110-120 to 130+ drastically giving me horrible timing corrections.

I'm baffled at why my IAT's are so high/car so hot to begin with taking note of the ambient temps?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #25
4 Doors
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi (E90)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
Quote:

My issue with my car is let's say it's 75* degrees out in moderate Southern California. My IAT's are idling around 110 once my car gets warm, oil temps at 240-245. If I do a couple pulls and do I 3rd gear log my IAT's rise from 110-120 to 130+ drastically giving me horrible timing corrections.

I'm baffled at why my IAT's are so high/car so hot to begin with taking note of the ambient temps?
If you are on the stock intercooler, that would be the reason. The stock intercooler seems to do nothing in terms of keeping IATs down...especially if you have any other mods done. As for oil temp, that goes up based on the type of oil and whether you have an oil cooler or not as well.

Current: 2011 E91 328i M-Sport Touring
Past: 2008 E90 335xi
1996 E36 328i Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #26
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Doors View Post
Quote:
Quote:

If you are on the stock intercooler, that would be the reason. The stock intercooler seems to do nothing in terms of keeping IATs down...especially if you have any other mods done. As for oil temp, that goes up based on the type of oil and whether you have an oil cooler or not as well.
I'm on the Mishimoto performance cooler. It just seems my IAT's start high to being with where the intercooler doesn't have a chance to cool down my car on movement, and even so the Mishimoto doesn't seem to cool my car enough on movement. I referenced my oil temp because that is the norm oil temps of these N54's in relation to my how high my IAT's are to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #27
langsbr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Another recommendation for the VRSF Race. Buy it once, buy it right. There is no adverse effect if you stay on stock turbos, and if you upgrade, you're set.

Idling in 90+ degree weather IATs can be over 100 here in SC - but AT IDLE. Once you go WOT, they come down to ambient and barely increase in a multigear pull.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #28
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Quote:
I'm on the Mishimoto performance cooler. It just seems my IAT's start high to being with where the intercooler doesn't have a chance to cool down my car on movement, and even so the Mishimoto doesn't seem to cool my car enough on movement. I referenced my oil temp because that is the norm oil temps of these N54's in relation to my how high my IAT's are to begin with.
I hear you, I run the Mishimoto as well and see minimum 16 deg Celsius increase in IAT's after the 1st WOT pull (26deg C start to 42deg C end)
That's on a "cool" morning here in Australia
I think its time for a 5" Stepped VRSF at least
      11-10-2019, 09:35 PM   #29
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3Rrrr View Post
I hear you, I run the Mishimoto as well and see minimum 16 deg Celsius increase in IAT's after the 1st WOT pull (26deg C start to 42deg C end)

That sucks man. Hardly sounds like it's any better than stock IC.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 09:50 PM   #30
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for confirming it's not me lol. Time to upgrade as well!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 10:04 PM   #31
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernUrMental View Post
That sucks man. Hardly sounds like it's any better than stock IC.
Just barely I bet with FBO.
If it was on a full stock car I think there would be a noticeable improvement
      11-12-2019, 02:38 PM   #32
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
With all due respect, the Mishimoto is an entry-level FMIC upgrade. It may be time to upgrade for better performance.

Quote:
You'll definitely find improvements in an upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #33
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
With all due respect, the Mishimoto is an entry-level FMIC upgrade. It may be time to upgrade for better performance.

You'll definitely find improvements in an upgrade.
When I purchased the Mishimoto it was the first mod I did on a fully stock 335i. A few years later and being FBO now I can tell its just not enough.
Sounds like the VRSF 5" stepped would be a superior upgrade.
I know people will say get the 7.5" and be done with it but I'm not keen on cutting or modifying to make it fit. I don't plan to upgrade turbos at any stage either as I'm happy with stock FBO and would just replace with factory turbos if they ever went on me.
      11-12-2019, 05:26 PM   #34
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
When I purchased the Mishimoto it was the first mod I did on a fully stock 335i. A few years later and being FBO now I can tell its just not enough.
Sounds like the VRSF 5" stepped would be a superior upgrade.
I know people will say get the 7.5" and be done with it but I'm not keen on cutting or modifying to make it fit. I don't plan to upgrade turbos at any stage either as I'm happy with stock FBO and would just replace with factory turbos if they ever went on me.
The VRSF 5" Stepped will still be a good upgrade. The core is bigger and is more efficient than the Mishimoto.

The 5" is still a popular selling FMIC even though forums may show differently.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 10:14 PM   #35
Rule1977
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335I E90

Vrsf 7.5" race

Just received my 7.5" Race and I have to say the quality is top notch. Can't wait to install this monster along with VRSF oem location inlets.
Attached Images

NRW CARBON COWL FILTERS - TIAL BOV
VRSF 7.5 RACE FMIC - VRSF INLETS - VRSF OUTLETS - VRSF DOWNPIPES
BMS PEDAL TUNER - VTT DUAL CATCH CANS
3.5 BAR TMAP - NGK 97506 PLUGS
H@R SPRINGS - NRW V1 PADDLES
PFS STAGE 3 LPFP - PFS V2 PORT INJECTION
MOSSELMAN OIL THERMOSTAT
MISHIMOTO 25 ROW OIL COOLER
SPOOL PERFORMANCE ETHANOL ANALYZER
MISHIMOTO 15 ROW TRANSMISSION COOLER
ZIMMERMAN DRILLED ROTORS - EBC REDSTUFF PADS