E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Survey: Are you still running RFTs?

View Poll Results: What kind of tires are you running on your E90?
RFTs 9 15.25%
Non-RFTs 50 84.75%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

03-06-2024, 11:38 AM   #45
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
Why the outlier on the cost of 3/8/13 Contis?

Yok Adv Sport look to be the value leader. Any downsides with noise or traction?
I'll have to review my master repair tracker tab in my workbook. It's probably I kept in the alignment cost at Curry's Automotive in the number. I bought the tires and alignment from them. What happened was, I refreshed the suspension at 183,000 miles with BMW OE parts. Took it to a Eurocar shop down the street from my office (at the time). They totally effed up the alignment. I then got new tires at Curry's, which was supposedly a good family-owned Virginia franchise, they got it better. I then just took it to BMW of Sterling Virginia. They got the alignment perfect.

I learned my lesson. I only get alignments at a BMW dealership. Everyone else screws the alignment up.

I usually buy tires from Tire Rack and take my tires and wheels to get mounted and balanced. Its easy since I have a lift and a pickup truck (actually doing this tomorrow with the AS4's for the Z3). It keeps the monkeys from Hacking at the car. My 30+ years of experience is BMWs rarely go out of alignment.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-06-2024 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-06-2024, 01:25 PM   #46
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'll have to review my master repair tracker tab in my workbook. It's probably I kept in the alignment cost at Curry's Automotive in the number. I bought the tires and alignment from them. What happened was, I refreshed the suspension at 183,000 miles with BMW OE parts. Took it to a Eurocar shop down the street from my office (at the time). They totally effed up the alignment. I then got new tires at Curry's, which was supposedly a good family-owned Virginia franchise, they got it better. I then just took it to BMW of Sterling Virginia. They got the alignment perfect.

I learned my lesson. I only get alignments at a BMW dealership. Everyone else screws the alignment up.

I usually buy tires from Tire Rack and take my tires and wheels to get mounted and balanced. Its easy since I have a lift and a pickup truck (actually doing this tomorrow with the AS4's for the Z3). It keeps the monkeys from Hacking at the car. My 30+ years of experience is BMWs rarely go out of alignment.
Between the Contis, Michelin AS4, and the Yoko Advan AS, which was your favorite?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 03:08 PM   #47
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Between the Contis, Michelin AS4, and the Yoko Advan AS, which was your favorite?
Michelins > Yoks > Conti.

I have the AS4 on my E86 Z4 too. They roll like prefectly round drums with zero friction, but just completely stick in the corners, wet or dry. Steering feel is wonderful. And I drive on country back roads daily.

Advans are great too, but they make some noise. Great wet braking.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-06-2024 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2024, 06:01 PM   #48
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Interesting that’s your ranking. I’ve found it to be Michelin > Continental (but just barely, the marginally softer ride quality is worth it in GA with all of its potholes) >>>> Yokohama (I also had Advans, they could never balance right and only lasted maybe 25K front and rear in staggered form).

I wonder when the AS 5 will come out…
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2024, 06:12 PM   #49
Saywhatagain
Rep
Drives: 328i e93, 03 Z4, i3

Garage List
teryx  [0.00]
2009 Escalade   [0.00]
2017 Escalade ESV  [0.00]
2018 Camaro 1SS  [0.00]
2015 BMW i3  [0.00]
2003 BMW Z4  [7.00]
2007 BMW 328i e93  [10.00]
On our 335i we are on runflats because it’s my wife’s daily. On my sons 328i fronts are run flats rears are not. On our Z4 no run flats but we have a second set of runs with tires. On our 18 SS Camaro fronts are run flats rears are not. I like having the run flats on the front because that’s where I usually get flats and the front tires on a rwd car are not doing much for performance. I like running Pilot Sports or super sports on the rear for max launch
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 06:15 PM   #50
Bmw1939
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 328i, 2008 BMW X3

I wouldn't use run flat tires if I was driving through the desert over a pile of nails.
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2024, 09:09 AM   #51
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody007 View Post
Interesting that’s your ranking. I’ve found it to be Michelin > Continental (but just barely, the marginally softer ride quality is worth it in GA with all of its potholes) >>>> Yokohama (I also had Advans, they could never balance right and only lasted maybe 25K front and rear in staggered form).

I wonder when the AS 5 will come out…
I got the AS4 mounted up yesterday. Man, they are sticky, even with the mold release still on/in them. They stuck to the plastic bedliner in the Hummer like glue. PITA to side them around when loading. LOL.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2024, 09:19 AM   #52
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

I haven't had runflats in over 10 years.

Bought an X5 scissor jack, 2' breaker bar, 17mm deep well socket and a spare that matches 225/45/17 a long long time ago.

Also carry a plug kit and a 12v air pump.
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2024, 09:21 AM   #53
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
Why the outlier on the cost of 3/8/13 Contis?

Yok Adv Sport look to be the value leader. Any downsides with noise or traction?
Quote:

Edit 3/9/24:

Confirmed. The 3/18/13 price included the alignment cost. I went with Curry's Automotive sourced tires and alignment, so I'd have a reasonable expectation of treadwear warranty. I've found that when you buy tires from The Rack and get an alignment from a separate independent shop, each can point the finger at each other as to why the tires didn't attain their warranted tread life. The shop... bad tires from Tire Rack; Tire Rack... bad alignment from the shop used for the alignment.

Again, I've never had a bad alignment when accomplished by a BMW dealer.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-09-2024 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2024, 10:51 AM   #54
jbash87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5, 2012 X5d, 2008 E91

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2006 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Edit 3/9/24:

Confirmed. The 3/18/13 price included the alignment cost. I went with Curry's Automotive sourced tires and alignment, so I'd have a reasonable expectation of treadwear warranty. I've found that when you buy tires from The Rack and get an alignment from a separate independent shop, each can point the finger at each other as to why the tires didn't attain their warranted tread life. The shop... bad tires from Tire Rack; Tire Rack... bad alignment from the shop used for the alignment.

Again, I've never had a bad alignment when accomplished by a BMW dealer.
Will Tire Rack honor the tread life when aligned at the dealer?

My only issue with BMW alignments is that they love toe, so the tires will wear out quicker. Finding a good alignment shop is not easy though. I've been spoiled finding a great shop here in Seattle

I agree with you for most people's alignment needs the dealer is the answer.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2024, 10:55 AM   #55
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbash87 View Post
Will Tire Rack honor the tread life when aligned at the dealer?

My only issue with BMW alignments is that they love toe, so the tires will wear out quicker. Finding a good alignment shop is not easy though. I've been spoiled finding a great shop here in Seattle

I agree with you for most people's alignment needs the dealer is the answer.
I doubt tire rack will honor treadwear regardless of where you get the car aligned.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2024, 11:05 AM   #56
jbash87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5, 2012 X5d, 2008 E91

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2006 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
I doubt tire rack will honor treadwear regardless of where you get the car aligned.
Appreciate 0