E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 328i

03-09-2024, 07:36 AM   #1
2011bmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: blue E90

2011 328i

I bought end of Oct '23 just took for oil change they did 50 point inspection and found several issues 🤦😢😥🥺🤦I realize bmw is high maintenance but how high first of all replace valve cover gasket 1700.,drive belt& tensioner 770,air bag diagnostics 200.,engine oil filter adapter 900. Change brake fluid 200,engine air filter 150. remove spark plugs and coil 520.,wiper blades 120. and lastly rear diffential fluid 200.🤦🤦if I knew how to do these repairs I would the warranty will expire in 100 miles so far there are giving the shop the run around I'll probably have to let her sit until I can gather up 5000.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2024, 08:00 AM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

It is time to DIY, the VCG, tensioner and pulley, oil change brake fluid, air filter, and wiper blades are driveway or garage projects. The plugs are replaced only at about 75K intervals and coils only when failed. I doubt the differential needs to be changed, it's likely a 125K mile service. Yes, they require more maintenance but not all at once, do it over time. My '09 335 averages $100 a month to maintain and that includes the minor mods that I've done over the nearly eight years of ownership.
      03-09-2024, 12:08 PM   #3
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011bmw View Post
I bought end of Oct '23 just took for oil change they did 50 point inspection and found several issues ����������I realize bmw is high maintenance but how high first of all replace valve cover gasket 1700.,drive belt& tensioner 770,air bag diagnostics 200.,engine oil filter adapter 900. Change brake fluid 200,engine air filter 150. remove spark plugs and coil 520.,wiper blades 120. and lastly rear diffential fluid 200.����if I knew how to do these repairs I would the warranty will expire in 100 miles so far there are giving the shop the run around I'll probably have to let her sit until I can gather up 5000.
Do you want to learn to DIY? If so, everything you listed is VERY easy, minus the valve cover gasket (and it's not thaaaaat bad). But everything you listed is regular E90 maintenance that everyone has to do at some time. Add in failing radiator and cooling hoses, because that'll be next if not now. Also change the transmission fluid and filter (presuming AT). Oh yeah, suspension refresh will be coming up as well!

Everything you mention is a true E90 issue and you're not being taken advantage of. Also, is this a dealer, or an independent garage? Prices seem high for an indy. If a dealer, I would look for a BMW/German independent to give you a better quote. Maybe I'm out of touch with going rates, but $120 to change wiper blades... I should go into the wiper blade changing business as a full time job!

Most of those items are maintenance items, so warranty will not cover them. If you can get the valve cover gasket and oil housing gasket covered, you're doing great. No warranty is going to cover replacing wipers, brake fluid, oil filters and diff fluid. Those are just regular maintenance (and easy to DIY!) on any car.

Airbag code is another issue... what is wrong? Passenger seat saying it's occupied or something else? That should be a warranty covered issue.

Push to get the gaskets and airbag covered and be happy about that!

Do this for sure, whether warranty our of out of pocket: Oil filter gasket and tensioner/belt (do Mickey Mouse while there). The other stuff sounds like it is all just recommended maintenance, so you can put off and do a bit at a time. And use that reprieve to do some research into DIY work on the car. Other than the above-mentioned VCG, the rest is very doable in a driveway (Speaking from experience).

Use the money you save and buy a Foxwell scanner. It's bulletproof and you won't screw anything up with it. Then invest in tools and start figuring out parts from FCP. They aren't the cheapest, but their UI is great.

The E90 BMW is a revered platform, the last of the good ones sort of a car. They all have issues. Some general automotive, and some specific to the make & model. And your car is 13 years old, it's going to need a lot of refurbishment to get to where it needs to be. Don't regret your purchase, but admit you jumped into the deep end without testing the water. Time to start swimming!

Report back with your decisions!

Last edited by StradaRedlands; 03-09-2024 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0