E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 07-E90 328i help!

03-09-2024, 06:00 PM   #1
JayyM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07/E90/328i

07-E90 328i help!

Just got a bmw to fix up in memory of my pops who passed he loved the 328i so much in his life that I'm on a mission to make one in his remembrance I bought a a E90 2007 328i and the day of purchase I got the guy to take me to auto zone for the codes if any. got a transmission fluid deteriorated code told the guy I'd take it thinking that was the easiest move for me .. today I got the fluid and filter changed and the mechanic said I had 14 codes!!! I've looked up some but can anyone simplify this for me I'm attaching a image of the codes given to me thank you for any help it's appreciated!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 06:07 PM   #2
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Clear them all and see which persist. They could be historic faults that are stored in memory. Good possibility of a BSD bus issue (A bunch of components on same circuit, when one goes, it messes it up for everyone, why we can't have nice things). See how many times BSD pops up among codes above? That's why I'm saying that. If it is a BSD problem, then you just have to search out the cause. Very likely to be alternator, which is the heart of the system.
Time and money, money and time...

Last edited by StradaRedlands; 03-09-2024 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
JayyM0.00
      03-09-2024, 06:10 PM   #3
JayyM
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the guidance!!! I will start there !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 06:12 PM   #4
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayyM View Post
Thank you for the guidance!!! I will start there !!!
Were you/the seller able to pass CA smog check?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 06:16 PM   #5
JayyM
United_States
Rep

So that was my issue the guy I bought it from said he had smog and he would send it guy never responded back I have all my papers to register it and can't smog it because of the codes and dmv won't continue the transfer because of it now I'm stuck and the guy won't help with repairs so I'm going down the line trying to figure that out as well kinda messed up situation really .
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 06:22 PM   #6
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
So that was my issue the guy I bought it from said he had smog and he would send it guy never responded back I have all my papers to register it and can't smog it because of the codes and dmv won't continue the transfer because of it now I'm stuck and the guy won't help with repairs so I'm going down the line trying to figure that out as well kinda messed up situation really .
In CA it is seller's responsibility to provide smog cert, but after $$$ changes hands, all bets are off :-/

I don't think there is anything catastrophic with the car, but like I said, time and money... you need to find a good shop and bite the bullet. Don't take it to the dealer, find an independent German specialty shop. It could be as simple as a new alternator, you just need to find someone that can properly diagnose it and not just throw parts at it (there are a lot of parts). The DME codes are concerning, but the the BSD plugs into the DME, so hopefully those are BSD-related problems as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 06:28 PM   #7
JayyM
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the help I really appreciate it seriously I've been scrambling on this for a few weeks now going to try and clear codes and see what's left guess imma try and bug this guy would you suggest auto dismantles ? For parts like the alternator ? If it comes down to it ?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 06:45 PM   #8
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Thank you for the help I really appreciate it seriously I've been scrambling on this for a few weeks now going to try and clear codes and see what's left guess imma try and bug this guy would you suggest auto dismantles ? For parts like the alternator ? If it comes down to it ?
Hit or miss with used... for electrical you never know what you're getting, so I'd avoid used unless heavily guaranteed. Get the specific Bosch alternator, unfortunately prices have almost doubled from what they were :-(

But don't just throwing parts at it till you figure out which one is the problem. Search up E90 BSD problem or something similar and find out the info out there. Like I said, find a good garage that can diagnose properly before you start throwing parts at it. There are a LOT of parts in the system and they can be expensive. Don't replace what you don't need to when it could just be a connector that's not plugged in properly.
Appreciate 1
JayyM0.00
      03-09-2024, 06:51 PM   #9
JayyM
United_States
Rep

Man thank you for the help and saving me the time and money looking into the bsd thanks again !! This is so helpful
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 07:06 PM   #10
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
... E90 2007 328i ... 14 codes... can anyone simplify this for me.
can't smog it because of the codes and dmv won't continue the transfer because of it now I'm stuck and the guy won't help with repairs so I'm going down the line trying to figure that out as well kinda messed up situation really
How much Routine Maintenance and Repair are YOU able to do YOURSELF?
Do YOU have the Time, Interest & PLACE to work on it yourself?
If SO, this Forum can help you learn what RESOURCES are available to DIY.
If NOT, you will spend $$$$ paying $hop$ to do the work.
$hop$ typically are good at Turning Wrenches; DIAGNOSTICS: NOT so much

I began my reply BEFORE I read Post #5. TRIAGE: Prioritizing Actions: You probably need to consult dmv/ Lawyer/ CA Code BEFORE spending another NICKEL on repairs. Check back HERE AFTER:
1) obtaining reimbursement;
2) rescinding transaction;
3) getting realistic PLAN for passing Emissions

If you are in CA, is vehicle a SULEV with N51 Engine?
George
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2024, 08:28 PM   #11
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Attached are ISTA ScreenPrints of your 14 Fault Codes and their definitions. The First 5 are "BSD"-related. Those can be caused
by a wiring disconnection, faulty/Incorrect component, wiring fault, etc. To enable us to suggest PRIORITIES of issues,
we need for YOU to indicate:
1) What performance issues the vehicle has;
2) What Warning Lights, or Malfunction Indicator Lights (MIL) appear on Instrument Cluster;
3) The Last-7 Characters of your VIN;

The Fault Codes related to issues causing Emissions Faults are likely:
1) 2A82: which also can mean Intake Cam Timing over-retarded;
2) 29F4 & 29F5 which CAN mean the Catalytic Converters have been removed, OR are NOT functioning (EXPENSIVE);

I would address those THREE Codes FIRST. The codes suggest to me that the prior owner either was negligent in
routine maintenance, OR intentionally modified the vehicle, resulting in Emissions Faults. Simply changing GM6
AT Fluid & Filter will NOT cause 578E "Oil Wear" Fault to go away. There is a "Mileage Counter" which must be reset for
that code to be cleared. ISTA can do that. INPA Cannot. Simply attempting to CLEAR the Code will NOT. However, that
code will NOT prevent passing Emissions test, and does NOT cause a Warning Light.

The MOST Significant issue is being able to get vehicle registered/ Title Transfer/ Emissions. Consult an Attorney
in CA if you cannot understand the provisions of the CA Vehicle Code. The problem for ANYONE trying to understand
the Code is that there are MANY different Sections & provisions, an even an experienced attorney needs to check for CHANGES:
https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/vehicle...A59CC905537BB7

Things are "COMPLICATED" (LOTS of DETAILS ;-), whether Law or BMW Systems, so make SURE you get
(& give ;-) competent advice.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-09-2024, 08:59 PM   #12
JayyM
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Attached are ISTA ScreenPrints of your 14 Fault Codes and their definitions. The First 5 are "BSD"-related. Those can be caused
by a wiring disconnection, faulty/Incorrect component, wiring fault, etc. To enable us to suggest PRIORITIES of issues,
we need for YOU to indicate:
1) What performance issues the vehicle has;
2) What Warning Lights, or Malfunction Indicator Lights (MIL) appear on Instrument Cluster;
3) The Last-7 Characters of your VIN;

The Fault Codes related to issues causing Emissions Faults are likely:
1) 2A82: which also can mean Intake Cam Timing over-retarded;
2) 29F4 & 29F5 which CAN mean the Catalytic Converters have been removed, OR are NOT functioning (EXPENSIVE);

I would address those THREE Codes FIRST. The codes suggest to me that the prior owner either was negligent in
routine maintenance, OR intentionally modified the vehicle, resulting in Emissions Faults. Simply changing GM6
AT Fluid & Filter will NOT cause 578E "Oil Wear" Fault to go away. There is a "Mileage Counter" which must be reset for
that code to be cleared. ISTA can do that. INPA Cannot. Simply attempting to CLEAR the Code will NOT. However, that
code will NOT prevent passing Emissions test, and does NOT cause a Warning Light.

The MOST Significant issue is being able to get vehicle registered/ Title Transfer/ Emissions. Consult an Attorney
in CA if you cannot understand the provisions of the CA Vehicle Code. The problem for ANYONE trying to understand
the Code is that there are MANY different Sections & provisions, an even an experienced attorney [...]
Thank you will do only issue was the shaking at 40mph the car has a tough idle sometimes I cleaned the vanos and got a new cam shaft positioning sensor I'm not equipped fully for full maintenance I'm a kidney cancer fighter so I can do most but not extensive like that i does have a whine in first gear after the f transmission change and my knowledge is base line mostly what my dad taught me before he passed and YouTube videos I have hand tools and some hex keys as far as a attorney I'll have to look into that having cancer has me on a budget so I'm mainly on trying to get it registered can I report him to dmv for the sale since I have all his info and pink slip ? will start on what I can and start with the catalytic system previous owner was a older Korean fella I tried to explain to him about the smog but guy sent me 60 bucks said to get it myself so now I'm back at square one trying to fix a problem he lied about he said he had all that stuff and a I got stiffed .
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 01:37 PM   #13
JayyM
United_States
Rep

Update on car a day after the transmission fluid and filter is replaced I'm hearing a grinding type noise at start and in first gear she jumped on me a few times and it went away could this be due to low transmission fluid ? I also had the gearbox light show up and I Parker her for about ten mins started her up and the noise was still there but the light went off the grinding noise I was getting my mech said was possibly from gearbox since I had a code but it never made that noise until they changed the fluid and filter so I'm lost really going to go code her at auto zone until I can find a reputable German shop for her any tips ? Could it be a torque converter ? I do have a cam shaft sensor on bank 1 in the front out and I got the replacement today going to change that and see if any improvements show will update in a bit thanks for all the help !!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 01:41 PM   #14
JayyM
United_States
Rep

So I messaged the mechanic as well and this is the response I'm getting also and thanks again for all the help !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 03:40 PM   #15
jbash87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5, 2012 X5d, 2008 E91

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2006 BMW M5  [10.00]
JayyM If you are on a budget stop throwing money at this car!
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2024, 03:43 PM   #16
JayyM
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbash87 View Post
JayyM If you are on a budget stop throwing money at this car!
Thank you ! I was thinking the same it's becoming more of a bite that I can't chew
Appreciate 0