E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2008 E90 LCI 320i cranking but not starting , no power at fuel pump

01-27-2019, 02:14 AM   #1
Tunga
Registered
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 LCI

2008 E90 LCI 320i cranking but not starting , no power at fuel pump

The chassis number for my car is NL20854. So I ran out of fuel and the car stopped. Topped up the fuel but the car would start, it would crank but not start. Towed the car home and had a mechanic look at it. He thought it was the pump so I bought a new one and we switched but the scar still wouldn't star. He checked the fuses and the fuses were all good.

He then connected the pump directly to the battery and worked, so using this connection we managed to drive the car to his garage where he ran some diagnostics and found that the control unit had gone into safe mode . He cleared the errors and the car was driving fine again.Later that evening I started having the same problem again.The mechanic came and connected the pump to the battery again and it worked. He then decided to change the control unit for the pump but when he checked behind the rear passenger seat there was nothing and it turns out the power for the pump runs straight from the junction box.
He then came up with the idea of doing a relay from the pump to the battery, this seemed to work for a day or two then the pump started to take longer to wake up . I would turn on the key and wait to hear the sound of the pump and then start the car , sometimes I would have the engine on for 10 minutes before the pump would start .......now the problem has started again and the car won't even start.
I don't know what to do.Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunga View Post
...[VIN Last 7] NL20854. So I ran out of fuel and the car stopped. [OR did the car stop because the Fuel Pump stopped?] Topped up the fuel but the car would [NOT] start, it would crank but not start. Towed the car home and had a mechanic look at it. He thought it was the pump so I bought a new one and we switched but the scar still wouldn't star. He checked the fuses and the fuses were all good. [Need to use a Multimeter to check for voltage at the fuse socket, F67].
He then connected the pump directly to the battery and worked, so using this connection we managed to drive the car to his garage where he ran some diagnostics and found that the control unit [DOES your car in fact have EKP (Fuel Pump Module) or are you referring to another "control unit"?] had gone into safe mode. [WHAT diagnostics with WHAT software -- INPA/ ISTA/ Other, & WHAT specific Codes/ Test Results?] He cleared the errors and the car was driving fine again. Later that evening I started having the same problem again.The mechanic came and connected the pump to the battery again and it worked. He then decided to change the control unit for the pump but when he checked behind the rear passenger seat there was nothing and it turns out the power for the pump runs straight from the junction box. [Then what "Diagnostics" suggested there was a "Fuel Pump Module?"]
He then came up with the idea of doing a relay from the pump to the battery [WHAT was the power source for the "added relay" and how was its electromagnet coil wired? -- we can't trouble-shoot unknown custom electrical circuits over the Web without knowing those things]. This seemed to work for a day or two then the pump started to take longer to wake up . I would turn on the key and wait to hear the sound of the pump and then start the car , sometimes I would have the engine [Ignition?] on for 10 minutes before the pump would start ...now the problem has started again and the car won't even start...
I don't mean to insult you -- you are asking for information, and apparently are relying on your local mechanic to provide technical advice to you. My "snarky" remarks are simply intended to emphasize how (a) your mechanic, (b) you, or (c) I need to have specific facts related to your vehicle's ORIGINAL Fuel Pump Circuit, and to build from that. To solve the issue, we must have a realistic understanding of what knowledge YOU have, YOUR Mechanic has, and diagnostic testing ability at your end (INPA/ ISTA, Multimeter, etc.

If you are relying on your mechanic to read a circuit diagram or devise electrical tests once he has the correct circuit diagram, please just provide what I link below to him, along with my suggested test steps. I'm NOT a "Pro" so hopefully he will be "ahead of me" at least once he has the correct circuit information.

First, my general impressions of the problem:
1) the engine stopped running on the first occasion due to lack of fuel delivery by the Fuel Pump to the Fuel Rail/ Injectors;
2) It is more likely than not that original "shutdown" was caused by lack of power to the pump rather than low fuel level in the tank, given that the vehicle never would "fire" or run afterward, until the new fuel pump was powered directly from the battery;
3) It IS POSSIBLE that the original fuel pump failed in such a way that a code was saved in the DME (Engine Control Module) which prevented power being sent to the pump until the code was cleared (that is one of the reasons I ask for any codes that your mechanic read ;-)
4) It is ALSO possible that there is a wiring fault somewhere in the Fuel Pump Power Supply circuit which either prevents the Fuel Pump Relay from operating WHEN/ AS it should. That seems to be MORE LIKELY based upon the sporadic pump operation prior to the most recent failure to operate at all.
5) The FIRST STEP is to identify the proper Fuel Pump Circuit for your vehicle. Here are the steps I have taken to try to do that.
6) Using the Last 7 of your VIN which you supplied, it appears your 10/1/2008 build 320i E90 has the N46T engine, and based upon your photo provided, there is NO EKP Fuel Pump Module on the forward edge of the Right Rear Wheel Well, under the RR seat. Here is the TIS "Installation Location" showing where that module (A13663) should be if it WERE installed:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...200810/Rh3NfRD

You or Your Mechanic can access TIS Online Service Manual which contains all the circuit information I am linking here, by simply going to the home page and entering "NL20854" (the Last 7 of your VIN):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

The Fuel Pump has the Component Code "M2", and if there is NO Fuel Pump Module (EKP) it is EITHER powered via fuse F67, or fuse F5. Here are the two possible Relay & Fuse Power Supply to Fuel Pump configurations TIS shows for the N46T engine E90:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...l-pump/vdZNLrC
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...supply/hxGPHA5

Since you have the fuse chart shown in your attached photo, you can check to see if you have BOTH fuses, F5 AND F67 installed (also note if you have F70). ALL of those fuses were originally 20A rating. If you have NO fuse in one of those spots, then you can eliminate the possible circuit that shows that fuse, and concentrate on the others. For instance, if you had NO fuse in either the F70 or F5 sockets on the JB (Junction Box) Fuse Panel, but DO have a 20A fuse in the F67 socket, then you know the F67 diagram is the one for your vehicle.

I would suggest that you identify any empty fuse sockets at F5, F67 or F70 yourself and let us know what you find. The trifold you show one side of has fuse locations on the other side, but I will attach two jpg photos to next post, showing fuse locations for E9x models built AFTER 9/1/2008.

If your mechanic has INPA, he can determine "electronically," in two minutes or less, what Control Modules are present in your vehicle (specifically if you have an EKP Fuel Pump Control Module installed). Select "Functional Jobs" and then select F2, Identification, and you will see a list of all modules in the vehicle. If there were an EKP, it should be numerically listed as "ADR 17", between "12 DME" (Engine) and "18 EGS" (Automatic Transmission).

So, once we get the proper circuit identified, we can devise specific tests that can be done using a Multimeter to see where the failure point in the power supply circuit is. Since my 328xi does NOT have a fuel pump relay (it uses the EKP module), I am NOT aware of where that relay (K96) is located on your vehicle, other than it should either be soldered to the JB circuit board, or attached to the circuit board. Here is a JB wiring diagram showing the Fuel Pump Relay (K96) wiring:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ule/1VnXpW4emV

Hope this helps, & please let us know prior codes & diagnostics per questions above.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Fuse Chart, Two jpg files
E9x Vehicles built AFTER 9/1/2007
Bentley Service Manual ECL-23 & 24
US Models; ROW may vary:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
Tunga
Registered
Zimbabwe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Fuse Chart, Two jpg files
E9x Vehicles built AFTER 9/1/2007
Bentley Service Manual ECL-23 & 24
US Models; ROW may vary:
No offense taken , am actually glad you are taking your time to assist, I am not much of a hands on guy beyond changing oil and filters 😂.

I stopped the car because it was running out of fuel , it wasn't showing the range just dashes . When I tried starting it after topping up that's when it wouldn't.

I guess at first he thought the car had the EKP then realized after taking the seat off that it wasn't there.

Will check with him the software he uses and the codes he read off it .
I have INPA though so I guess I could actually check if the EKP Fuel Pump Control Module is installed. Will do that first thing in the morning (my side) as well as the steps you outlined in doing the diagnostics.

Will let you know what I find out
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 07:23 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
...I have INPA though so I guess I could actually check if the EKP Fuel Pump Control Module is installed. Will do that first thing in the morning (my side) as well as the steps you outlined in doing the diagnostics.
INPA is a game-changer! Since you have that, while you have it connected, I would suggest:

1) Select Functional Jobs, F2, Identification. A screen should appear that shows a line for each of ~ 15 to 20 Modules in the car (EKP is "ADR 17" & JBE is "ADR 00 JBBF". Do a screenprint of that screen and then paste the screenprint to Paint or your photo editor of choice, saving that screen (in a folder of your choosing) as a jpg file. You can later view that file or attach it to a forum post to show others what you saw.

2) Still in Functional Jobs, Select F4, Fehlerspeicher or Error Memory. A screen should appear that lists ALL the modules you just saw identified, in the same numerical order, with an indication of WHICH of those modules have any Fault Code saved in their memory, along with the fault code. Same drill: do a screenprint of the Fault screen(s), paste to "Paint"/photo editor & save jpg.

3) Of course if it turns out you DO have an EKP module, let us know AND if it has any fault do what is suggested for JBE/JBBF. For ANY fault shown in "Fehler"/Error Memory, in either "JBBF", "DME", or "EKP", do the following:
a) Connect to that module (see instructions for each below);
b) When connected to JBBF, select F4 | F3, Read Info Memory/ "Infospeicher Lesen." That screen gives you as much detail as possible related to JBBF Faults. Same drill, save Screenprint as jpg file (we can translate German for you later if needed).
c) When connected to DME, Select F4, F1, F3, Read Error Memory with Freeze Frame/ "Fehlerspeicher Lesen Freeze Frame" (That provides as much detail as possible about any Fault). Save Screenprint as jpg.
d) Obviously don't bother trying to connect to a module that has NO Fault Code reported in Functional Jobs.

4) To connect to JBBF: At entry "Script Selection" box, in Left Listbox, scroll down to Body/Karosserie; press Tab to move to Right Listbox; scroll down to "Junction Box Passenger" and select/click that highlighted item.

5) To connect to DME: At entry "Script Selection" box, in Left Listbox, scroll down to Engine; press Tab to move to Right Listbox; scroll down to the correct Module for your engine (ME9.2 / MEV9 for N45 / N46 (?) just guessing, but you can refer to the "SGBD" column in Functional Jobs Identification that you save in Step (1) above to see exact SGBD or code for the Engine Control Module). Click/Select to connect to Engine Module.

6) Don't worry if you make an incorrect selection. An error message will appear saying (probably in German) that whatever module you selected was NOT found ("nicht gefunden"). HOWEVER that error message WILL NEXT tell you what equivalent Module IS found (Gefundenes Steuergerat in your vehicle, so you simply note the SGBD of that "Found" module, go back to the Listbox, and make the correct selection.

Hope you are able to spend up to an hour seeing how much information you can get from INPA. Those steps outlined above could be done in ~ 5 - 10 minutes by someone familiar with the program, but if you don't use it often, or you have NOT used those functions before, it's best to take your time and get comfortable with the program.

Just Remember: F10 Ende to quit or go to entry screen; F10 Zuruck to go back to prior menu.

If German is NOT your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. language, Google translate helps. After you have done a few screens the similarities begin to emerge and many of the screens have similar terminology, such as Fault IS/IS NOT (nicht) currently present; or Fault would (NOT/kein) set a warning light.
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...te&sl=de&tl=en

Even if you don't want to take the time to learn German or understand all the features of INPA, just to be able to pull Fault Codes, Definitions and Details/ Freeze Frame Data as described above helps you understand what can be diagnosed, and if you can send a printout of that info to ANYONE via the Web, its like having unlimited tech support. Sometimes quality is better than quantity, but at least with a Forum like this, you get what you pay for.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 01:51 AM   #6
Tunga
Registered
Zimbabwe
Rep

So I checked about the fuses and the only fuse that is there is F67 and rated as 20A as per diagram. I have not yet gotten around to checking if there is any voltage passing through but the fuse is good.

using INPA , it seems the car has no EKP. I have attached the screenshots in the order you listed
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So I checked about the fuses and the only fuse that is there is F67 and rated as 20A as per diagram. I have not yet gotten around to checking if there is any voltage passing through but the fuse is good. Using INPA , it seems the car has no EKP. I have attached the screenshots in the order you listed
You use, print & attach INPA screens like a Pro -- I think you're "holding out" on me.

I'm sorry I missed your post yesterday, so let's try to make sure we're in synch on the issue. Car still won't start? I would suggest hot-wiring the fuel pump to see if it still starts that way, rather then assuming the problem is same as before, BUT I will make that assumption for purposes of my following suggestions.

1) 320i N46T E90 European model, 10/1/2008 build date
2) NO EKP as confirmed visually, & with INPA Functional Jobs, F2 & F4, Identification & Fault Memory
3) Assumed by history & testing that NO voltage supplied to fuel pump, hence crank but no start
4) NO fuse at F5 or F70 sockets on JB; there is however a 20A fuse in F67 socket, so it is assumed that the correct Fuel Pump circuit diagram is:

Next Steps (If you haven't already done these & more ;-)
1) Test for Voltage at one of the F67 spade sockets with ignition on
2) Test for Voltage upstream or downstream of fuse depending upon whether fuse socket has 12V+
3) If NO voltage @ F67 socket, LOCATE K96 & test; Since my 328xi and most US vehicles use the EKP module instead of K96 relay, I'm NOT familiar with its location when used
4) TIS does NOT provide an "Installation Location" for K96 AFAIK; Bentley suggests it is soldered to the PC Board of the JB (Junction Box or Fuse Panel). The only information I have on K96 is the circuit for it shown in this schematic:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...box/1VnXpW4emV

On more than one occasion weird happenings related to switching functions through the JBE or JB have been remedied by disconnecting, cleaning, & reconnecting various connectors on either side of the JB. In your case, there are TWO such connectors which could be related to lack of K96 operation, or power to the Fuel Pump:
1) The DME provides a switched Ground to the K96 coil/electromagnet to operate the K96 relay; this is done via pin #5 of Connector X11010; here are the "Installation Location" and "Connector View" for X11010:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...200810/RKy9OeU
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...00810/CTJCkOXS

2) IF you have 12V+ at F67 fuse socket, but NO power at the Fuel Pump Connector (X638), there MAY be a bad connection at Pin #5 of Connector X11008; here are Installation Location and Connector view for X11008; TIS circuit diagrams are interactive, and you can get this information simply by clicking on the BLUE component ID#, "X11008":
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...810/1VndFl9K6w
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...00810/CTGFt7lh

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:54 PM   #8
JairoP
Registered
Colombia
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i E90 FCI 2009

Cool

I had the same problem a few days ago and finally found the problem, I removed and disassembled the fuse box, internally it has a Tyco brand double relay Ref. V23084-c2001-a303, -403, the K96 fuel pump relay coil It does not activate, so the pump does not receive 12V, this coil must have a resistance of 260 ohms and it had a measurement above 1900 ohms. The fuse box number is 9119444, -445, -446. For cars that do not have a fuel control module EKP and non visible pump relay. Change the fuse box is above USD$150, change the relay USD$10. Here another forum where I posted the picture of the relay: https://www.opinautos.com/bmw/318/de...ba-de-gasolina

Last edited by JairoP; 03-18-2020 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:52 PM   #9
knous81
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
...[VIN Last 7] NL20854. So I ran out of fuel and the car stopped. [COLOR="Red"][OR did the car stop because the Fuel Pump stopped?][/COLOR] Topped up the fuel but the car would [NOT] start, it would crank but not start. Towed the car home and had a mechanic look at it. He thought it was the pump so I bought a new one and we switched but the scar still wouldn't star. He checked the fuses and the fuses were all good. [COLOR="red"][Need to use a Multimeter to check for voltage at the fuse socket, F67][/COLOR].
He then connected the pump directly to the battery and worked, so using this connection we managed to drive the car to his garage where he ran some diagnostics and found that the control unit [COLOR="red"][DOES your car in fact have EKP (Fuel Pump Module) or are you referring to another "control unit"?][/COLOR] had gone into safe mode. [COLOR="red"][WHAT diagnostics with WHAT software -- INPA/ ISTA/ Other, & WHAT specific Codes/ Test Results?][/COLOR] He cleared the errors and the car was driving fine again. Later that evening I started having the same problem again.The mechanic came and connected the pump to the battery again and it worked. He then decided to change the control unit for the pump but when he checked behind the rear passenger seat there was nothing and it turns out the power for the pump runs straight from the junction box. [COLOR="red"][Then what "Diagnostics" suggested there was a "Fuel Pump Module?"][/COLOR]
He then came up with the idea of doing a relay from the pump to the battery [COLOR="red"][WHAT was the power source for the "added relay" and how was its electromagnet coil wired? -- we can't trouble-shoot unknown custom electrical circuits over the Web without knowing those things][/COLOR]. This seemed to work for a day or two then the pump started to take longer to wake up . I would turn on the key and wait to hear the sound of the pump and then start the car , sometimes I would have the engine [COLOR="red"][Ignition?][/COLOR] on for 10 minutes before the pump would start ...now the problem has started again and the car won't even start...
I don't mean to insult you -- you are asking for information, and apparently are relying on your local mechanic to provide technical advice to you. My "snarky" remarks are simply intended to emphasize how (a) your mechanic, (b) you, or (c) I need to have specific facts related to your vehicle's ORIGINAL Fuel Pump Circuit, and to build from that. To solve the issue, we must have a realistic understanding of what knowledge YOU have, YOUR Mechanic has, and diagnostic testing ability at your end (INPA/ ISTA, Multimeter, etc.

If you are relying on your mechanic to read a circuit diagram or devise electrical tests once he has the correct circuit diagram, please just provide what I link below to him, along with my suggested test steps. I'm NOT a "Pro" so hopefully he will be "ahead of me" at least once he has the correct circuit information.

First, my general impressions of the problem:
1) the engine stopped running on the first occasion due to lack of fuel delivery by the Fuel Pump to the Fuel Rail/ Injectors;
2) It is more likely than not that original "shutdown" was caused by lack of power to the pump rather than low fuel level in the tank, given that the vehicle never would "fire" or run afterward, until the new fuel pump was powered directly from the battery;
3) It IS POSSIBLE that the original fuel pump failed in such a way that a code was saved in the DME (Engine Control Module) which prevented power being sent to the pump until the code was cleared (that is one of the reasons I ask for any codes that your mechanic read ;-)
4) It is ALSO possible that there is a wiring fault somewhere in the Fuel Pump Power Supply circuit which either prevents the Fuel Pump Relay from operating WHEN/ AS it should. That seems to be MORE LIKELY based upon the sporadic pump operation prior to the most recent failure to operate at all.
5) The FIRST STEP is to identify the proper Fuel Pump Circuit for your vehicle. Here are the steps I have taken to try to do that.
6) Using the Last 7 of your VIN which you supplied, it appears your 10/1/2008 build 320i E90 has the N46T engine, and based upon your photo provided, there is NO EKP Fuel Pump Module on the forward edge of the Right Rear Wheel Well, under the RR seat. Here is the TIS "Installation Location" showing where that module (A13663) should be if it WERE installed:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...200810/Rh3NfRD

You or Your Mechanic can access TIS Online Service Manual which contains all the circuit information I am linking here, by simply going to the home page and entering "NL20854" (the Last 7 of your VIN):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

The Fuel Pump has the Component Code "[COLOR="Blue"]M2[/COLOR]", and if there is NO Fuel Pump Module (EKP) it is EITHER powered via fuse F67, or fuse F5. Here are the two possible Relay & Fuse Power Supply to Fuel Pump configurations TIS shows for the N46T engine E90:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...supply/hxGPHA5

Since you have the fuse chart shown in your attached photo, you can check to see if you have BOTH fuses, F5 AND F67 installed (also note if you have F70). ALL of those fuses were originally 20A rating. If you have NO fuse in one of those spots, then you can eliminate the possible circuit that shows that fuse, and concentrate on the others. For instance, if you had NO fuse in either the F70 or F5 sockets on the JB (Junction Box) Fuse Panel, but DO have a 20A fuse in the F67 socket, then you know the F67 diagram is the one for your vehicle.

I would suggest that you identify any empty fuse sockets at F5, F67 or F70 yourself and let us know what you find. The trifold you show one side of has fuse locations on the other side, but I will attach two jpg photos to next post, showing fuse locations for E9x models built AFTER 9/1/2008.

If your mechanic has INPA, he can determine "electronically," in two minutes or less, what Control Modules are present in your vehicle (specifically if you have an EKP Fuel Pump Control Module installed). Select "Functional Jobs" and then select F2, Identification, and you will see a list of all modules in the vehicle. If there were an EKP, it should be numerically listed as "ADR 17", between "12 DME" (Engine) and "18 EGS" (Automatic Transmission).

So, once we get the proper circuit identified, we can devise specific tests that can be done using a Multimeter to see where the failure point in the power supply circuit is. Since my 328xi does NOT have a fuel pump relay (it uses the EKP module), I am NOT aware of where that relay ([COLOR="blue"]K96[/COLOR]) is located on your vehicle, other than it should either be soldered to the JB circuit board, or attached to the circuit board. Here is a JB wiring diagram showing the Fuel Pump Relay ([COLOR="Blue"]K96[/COLOR]) wiring:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ule/1VnXpW4emV

Hope this helps, & please let us know prior codes & diagnostics per questions above.

George
Would a bad EKP cause the LPFP to stop working while cranking and DME plugged in, but LPFP works when DME is unplugged? Or would that point to a DME issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 12:59 AM   #10
c3vette
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 335

fuel pump isuuse

hi was this problem resolved i have the exact same issue
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 04:12 AM   #11
CLAUDE PREMJEETH
Rep
Drives: all

Garage List
E90  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Hello everyone if you trace that wire you will see it's a blue and white wire on the fuel pump and it goes to the back of the junction box / fuse box and the wire changes to red and white if you trace it it goes to the footwell module so test on that wire if you are getting a 12v supply
Appreciate 0