E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 335i Automatic Transmission Diagnosis

04-01-2015, 10:31 PM   #1
Psychedelic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Alpine White

2007 335i Automatic Transmission Diagnosis

Hi All, I am new to this subreddit but was curious to see if anyone could help me with my predicament. I inherited a 2007 E92 335i Coupe with a little over 100k miles on it as my first car awhile back (automatic transmission). I've tried to learn doing basic maintenance on it but being a student made anything more extremely hard.
Recently it has been lurching forward, sometimes off of lights if I accelerated, it would sound like it would rev up extremely hard and lurch forward multiple times, than continue to drive fine. It has been leaking what I want to say is oil on my garage for the last week but the oil levels indicated by the electronic dipstick seem great. Today on my drive home I had a "transmission failure" error (tiny sprocket message on the dashboard) and had to pull over, turn off the car, and restart it in order to make it home.
This is my first major problem with the car for almost 20,000 miles. I've replaced air filters and have done oil changes myself. I am willing to spend money to fix the car but would it be a good idea to sell the car? I am a full time college student working two jobs right now and I understand that the 2007 335i isn't exactly a reliable car, but I love it to death and I don't quite want to part ways with it but realistically want to see if I can afford to keep it for the future. I can answer any other questions but do you guys have any possible diagnosis for what is occurring?

Pictures of the leaking fluid
View post on imgur.com

Last edited by Psychedelic; 04-01-2015 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
ryanm8
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Dude. You're probably leaking transmission fluid and very low on it, even. Common issue on these cars is for the mechatronic sleeve to leak, especially with your mileage. I wouldn't drive the car until you get some transmission fluid in there and then get the leak taken care of. Hopefully there hasn't been damage to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:58 PM   #3
Foxes
Private
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i

That looks to me more like transmission fluid, get your car jacked up and take a look at the ATF pan (Part no. 24152333907) might have to get a new gasket to stop the leak. Also it sounds like its due for a transmission fluid flush and clean, that could explain a little of the lurching.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 11:13 PM   #4
Psychedelic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm8 View Post
Dude. You're probably leaking transmission fluid and very low on it, even. Common issue on these cars is for the mechatronic sleeve to leak, especially with your mileage. I wouldn't drive the car until you get some transmission fluid in there and then get the leak taken care of. Hopefully there hasn't been damage to it.
Is there any place to get ATF in a brick and mortar store? I'm having it towed to a mechanic shop tomorrow. :/ I hope there isn't any damage to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxes View Post
That looks to me more like transmission fluid, get your car jacked up and take a look at the ATF pan (Part no. 24152333907) might have to get a new gasket to stop the leak. Also it sounds like its due for a transmission fluid flush and clean, that could explain a little of the lurching.
I will check when I get home in a bit, how much do new gaskets usually run? and transmission fluid clush/cleaning? :/ I just paid to have it walnut blasted as well but want to get her back in shape.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 01:55 AM   #5
Foxes
Private
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychedelic View Post
Is there any place to get ATF in a brick and mortar store? I'm having it towed to a mechanic shop tomorrow. :/ I hope there isn't any damage to it.

I will check when I get home in a bit, how much do new gaskets usually run? and transmission fluid clush/cleaning? :/ I just paid to have it walnut blasted as well but want to get her back in shape.
If its just the gasket you're looking at this part 24117571235. If your ATF pan is pretty beat it would be wise to change the assembly as a whole since it is relatively inexpensive.

As for the transmission fluid, It would be wise to get it done in one go rather than top up today and work on your gasket tomorrow. After all you're going to need to be under the car to be able to top up the fluids, they feed in from the bottom of the car through a port. Here is a guide http://www.rmeuropean.com/bmw-e90-32...id-change.aspx

I'd be honest it shouldn't cost too much, if you feel the price is unjust just go pick yourself up BMW ATF and the parts and DIY. It looks like a fairly straightforward task, a little messy but easy nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
Swish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sport

Have the 100K transmission service done and replace the pan and seal, which could be the source of your leak. BMW want $350 for the oil pan but you can find them for @ $125.00 like I did.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #7
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

Where did you get a pan and seal that are ZF for 125 bucks share.

OP check your transmission fluid the correct way meaning engine running in park. Highly likely your transmission fluid (Lifeguard 6) is low. Your symptoms mimic low AFT.

I use CTSC as the best supplier I know of for a replacement pan. Mine cracked and was not able to be detected and the pan was 160 bucks or so. Gasket is reusable but around 20 bucks. You can use Mercon SP as it is compatible with LG6 and is an accepted ZF fluid. Do not use anything else but LG6 or Mercon SP. Mercon SP is about 4 times cheaper by the way. Do not flush just drain and refill.

Be aware of the pan torque values for the torx bolts on the pan I think their are 20 of them. 10 NMs or around 7 lbs ft so don't over torque or you will crack the new ABS pan.

Follow the correct refill procedures for a ZF transmission. Meaning fill the pan until it weeps out of the fill port. Then start the engine warm to between 80-120F then keep the engine running and fill until it weeps out the fill port again.
Done.

Report back what you find out so we can all learn...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 05:26 AM   #8
Lumi00
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d e92

Garage List
2006 bmw 335D e92  [0.00]
2006 e92  [0.00]
Hello Friends, i have an e92 335d 2006 with 212.000 kms, i have an trasmission problem where i drive high speeds and the rpm needle goes from 3k rpms suddenly to like 5k rpms it’s like the car goes in Neutral for a split second i let the gas padel off then give again gas it doesn’t happen it’s only when i drive high speed on low speeds I didn’t notice anything unusual is there somebody who had this before and knows what it is please thanks in regards
Appreciate 0