E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Exhaust options

05-11-2023, 02:59 PM   #1
EmanAkbarpour
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Coupe

Exhaust options

I have been trying to decide on an exhaust setup for a while now for my 09' 328i n51. I have seen a few muffler options like AA, manga flow, BMW PE, and the 135i muffler. But I don't know which one sounds best.

I am looking for a decently loud deep tone.

I'm considering adding a different muffler, vibrant resonator, 2nd cat delete, and catless headers.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 05:50 PM   #2
SonicBlueStage2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive

In my experience it's always cleaner, cheaper, and higher quality to do a full bolt on system rather than a fruit salad of different components. I just did the 335i exhaust conversion on my 328 but it took a million parts and a lot of time on my back in the driveway. I also had to weld on the first section with flanges from my stock 328 exhaust because the diameter on the 335 exhaust is slightly larger. In the end I have the dual exit exhaust I wanted, but mufflers that were tuned for a different engine. I have mufflers from an N52 630i that I will eventually weld on instead. If I had it to do over again, I would have just bought the whole system.

Here are some of the systems I looked at before I committed to the conversion:

In my opinion Laptorr makes the best sounding exhaust for the N52, but it ships from Japan so it make take awhile to get here.

Supersprint is generally regarded as the highest quality. Those systems are made in Italy.

For a wild card, DrLavr from Russia makes some affordable systems and he's documented all of his power gains and research on youtube.

The cheapest, easiest option is to get the AA gen 2 muffler. It sounds amazing, it's cheap, and you can clamp it on yourself if you have a saw.
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251678.50
      05-12-2023, 11:22 AM   #3
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlueStage2 View Post
In my experience it's always cleaner, cheaper, and higher quality to do a full bolt on system rather than a fruit salad of different components. I just did the 335i exhaust conversion on my 328 but it took a million parts and a lot of time on my back in the driveway. I also had to weld on the first section with flanges from my stock 328 exhaust because the diameter on the 335 exhaust is slightly larger. In the end I have the dual exit exhaust I wanted, but mufflers that were tuned for a different engine. I have mufflers from an N52 630i that I will eventually weld on instead. If I had it to do over again, I would have just bought the whole system.

Here are some of the systems I looked at before I committed to the conversion:

In my opinion Laptorr makes the best sounding exhaust for the N52, but it ships from Japan so it make take awhile to get here.

Supersprint is generally regarded as the highest quality. Those systems are made in Italy.

For a wild card, DrLavr from Russia makes some affordable systems and he's documented all of his power gains and research on youtube.

The cheapest, easiest option is to get the AA gen 2 muffler. It sounds amazing, it's cheap, and you can clamp it on yourself if you have a saw.
Amazing reply, I don't even own an n51/2 and I watched every video lol.

The Supersprint surprised me. I never knew how similar n52 and m54 sound. Sounds exactly like my old ZHP back from my e46 days. The AA sounds the best to my ears Classic straight 6 sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 04:18 PM   #4
BReif61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91, 2008 E83

Garage List
FWIW, I’m very happy with my AA muffler. It’s the “gen 2,” which is what you would get if you buy new (gen 1 systems allegedly drone).
      05-12-2023, 10:23 PM   #5
roblese90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2010 bmw 328i  [0.00]
Another pricey option would be Eisenmann. They’re handmade to order from Germany. Many have said that it is the closest sound to the discontinued bmw performance exhaust

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Exhaust/...-325i328i.html
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 09:43 AM   #6
MADDX6TT09
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X6 4.4 TT XDrive I50

Straight Pipe Cat Back.. Wont Be Disapointed.. and Brightside If You Dont Like You Adding Is Easier Than Taking Away.. LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 09:13 AM   #7
BReif61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91, 2008 E83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDX6TT09 View Post
Straight Pipe Cat Back.. Wont Be Disapointed.. and Brightside If You Dont Like You Adding Is Easier Than Taking Away.. LOL
Might be a bit more than "decently loud" when you're on throttle though
      05-22-2023, 01:11 PM   #8
madderhorn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328xi Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanAkbarpour View Post
I have been trying to decide on an exhaust setup for a while now for my 09' 328i n51. I have seen a few muffler options like AA, manga flow, BMW PE, and the 135i muffler. But I don't know which one sounds best.

I am looking for a decently loud deep tone.

I'm considering adding a different muffler, vibrant resonator, 2nd cat delete, and catless headers.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
I have the exact car as you and I just did a muffler delete- it sounds pretty deep and more mellow compared to my friends muffler+resonator delete car. Muffler+resonator makes it sound more high pitched in my opinion. I like the sound of the muffler delete and its pretty inexpensive just to get it professionally done.
Appreciate 0