E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > First time Paint Correction: Toyota Prius

03-31-2016, 10:14 PM   #1
yipronny
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92

First time Paint Correction: Toyota Prius

Hello everyone, I finally took the time to correct the paint on a vehicle. I figured I would share my results with everyone I am a noobie so any advice and tips would be great!

I purchased a variety of tools from autogeek including a Griot Garage 6' DA Polisher. I was adamant to correct the paint on my BMW. As a result, I tried it on my girlfriend's Toyota Prius as a demo since it is my first time.

This is the 50/50 Shot I got on my test spot.

Having good lighting is very crucial! Alot of swirls as you guys can see, it is the first time this car has been detailed in 7 years.

The car is starting to look a lot better!

Afterwards, I applied the car with Opti Gloss Coat

Overall, this whole job was definitely tiring. I started from 730am and didn't finish cleaning up until 6pm. Perhaps it had to do with the fact is my first time so I had alot of trial and error. I was very pleased with the results as I was able to remove 80-90% of the scratches. Thanks for viewing
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 12:50 AM   #2
Black widow
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 | F30

What pads did you use?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 08:04 AM   #3
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

Good job! Can you comment more on the Opti gloss coat please?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Looks great, OP! Most people don't realize how much time is involved in these jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie168 View Post
Optimum Gloss Coat is a semi-permanent nano coating which bonds to the paint in order to provide a layer of durable protection that lasts years instead of just weeks or months... you can read more about it in my produve review.
Product Review: Optimum Gloss-Coat by Zach McGovern

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 12:04 PM   #5
yipronny
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Looks great, OP! Most people don't realize how much time is involved in these jobs

Optimum Gloss Coat is a semi-permanent nano coating which bonds to the paint in order to provide a layer of durable protection that lasts years instead of just weeks or months... you can read more about it in my produve review.
Product Review: Optimum Gloss-Coat by Zach McGovern

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Thanks alot! I definitely agree most people overlook the time to put into any work in general. When it comes the time where you have to perform the work, it is a whole different story

I used Meguiar105/205 combo, the product itself was very easy to use. However, I produced alot of dust particles. Is there any particular reason why or am I doing something wrong?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
yipronny
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
When I was ordering the sealant on autogeek, I read alot of reviews before I made my decision. This included Zach's review on Opti coat also which was super useful

I was deciding between Cquartz and Opti coat. I ended up buying both of them since I was going to do more vehicles later anyway. In terms of Opti Coat, the instructions weren't as clear as I would have liked so I watched Youtube videos on how to apply it since I never applied any sort of sealant in my life! I would say make sure to have good lighting so you can see the product being applied or if any HIGH spots developed. Otherwise, it was very easy to apply throughout the vehicle. I ended up having some leftover which I can probably use for another small vehicle.

After application, I noticed the paint had alot more depth and shine to it. It is literally wet! Of course, It isn't as shiny as your traditional carnauba wax, but for a daily driver and the 2 year protection, I think it is worth it. It hasn't been 7 days yet so the sealant has no cured. Perhaps, I can update back on how well it beads water afterwards
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #7
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks Zach! Any update on the durability of the product since the time of your review?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #8
slimxb8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
To help with dusting I ...
Change pads after 2 panels.
Must once with detail spray after initial spreading.
Dont work it to long.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:19 AM   #9
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Zach! Any update on the durability of the product since the time of your review?
I don't have this particular coating on any of my personal cars, but I did recently have a client email me because she got a new car and she absolutely had to have Gloss Coat reapplied to it because of how well it worked for her for over a year before she sold her old car.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #10
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Why can't I get my prius to be swirl free, i bought the chemical guys torqx polisher and used the orange and white pads, compounds v34 and v36. Sure it gave back it's black depth but not nearly as much as the swirls as I think the product should have made. When I apply the "right amount" of pressure my polisher isn't turning and watching the videos, their setting is at 2. Should I go higher? Are you in the bay area OP?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #11
yipronny
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Why can't I get my prius to be swirl free, i bought the chemical guys torqx polisher and used the orange and white pads, compounds v34 and v36. Sure it gave back it's black depth but not nearly as much as the swirls as I think the product should have made. When I apply the "right amount" of pressure my polisher isn't turning and watching the videos, their setting is at 2. Should I go higher? Are you in the bay area OP?
Hi, yeah I am in the bay area. I am by no means an expert as I learned from watching youtube videos as well . But based on what you are saying. I think you aren't going high enough speed when you are compounding. Usually for compounding (v32 or v34), they recommend speed of 5-6 and perhaps 4-5 for polishing (v36). I think your pad and product combo is good as the paint on our Prius are pretty soft, but of course it can differ car to car. Your polisher should definitely be spinning so perhaps you are using a bit too much pressure. One rule I think I found to work for me is apply pressure but enough so I can guide the polisher smoothly across the panels as I do my passes. Hopefully that was helpful!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #12
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep

Put a black mark on the backing plate so you can see it spinning as you move the polisher around. That's the best thing I've learned.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #13
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
You should be between speed 4-6 for most cutting and usually between 3-5 for polishing... there is no guaranteed recipe for success. Every vehicle is different, so you need to understand how to alter your technique to produce the best results possible.

In general, more speed leads to more cut, more pressure leads to more cut, more passes leads to more cut. If you aren't seeing the defect removal you are expecting, try altering these variables. If your technique is not the issue, then your products are and you would need either a more aggressive pad and/or more aggressive polishing liquid.

Hope that helps!

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 08:41 PM   #14
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yipronny View Post
Hi, yeah I am in the bay area. I am by no means an expert as I learned from watching youtube videos as well . But based on what you are saying. I think you aren't going high enough speed when you are compounding. Usually for compounding (v32 or v34), they recommend speed of 5-6 and perhaps 4-5 for polishing (v36). I think your pad and product combo is good as the paint on our Prius are pretty soft, but of course it can differ car to car. Your polisher should definitely be spinning so perhaps you are using a bit too much pressure. One rule I think I found to work for me is apply pressure but enough so I can guide the polisher smoothly across the panels as I do my passes. Hopefully that was helpful!!!
All good tips, I live in San Leandro, the housing and background looks like you're close too?
This weekend I'll give it another shot and see how it goes.
Quote:
Put a black mark on the backing plate so you can see it spinning as you move the polisher around. That's the best thing I've learned.
Yup, I did exactly like and saw the lack of rotation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
You should be between speed 4-6 for most cutting and usually between 3-5 for polishing... there is no guaranteed recipe for success. Every vehicle is different, so you need to understand how to alter your technique to produce the best results possible.

In general, more speed leads to more cut, more pressure leads to more cut, more passes leads to more cut. If you aren't seeing the defect removal you are expecting, try altering these variables. If your technique is not the issue, then your products are and you would need either a more aggressive pad and/or more aggressive polishing liquid.

Hope that helps!

-Zach
I'll get the technique down in due time.
Appreciate 0