E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Let's start the Rocky Mountian members thread

11-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #23
lnferno
Private
Rep
Drives: AWD

I really like the 335, but I would only get the 335xi up here for obvious reasons. I know that there will be more drivetrain loss than the 335i, but want to know how much before I pull the trigger on getting a 335xi.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 05:57 PM   #24
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

It's imperceptable. Are you planing to competitively race the car?

I haven't had my 335xi up in the rockies yet, but the AWD would be a nice benefit summer and winter.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 06:58 PM   #25
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Cool then, I'm hoping to get it to the shop in the next two weeks. Anxious to get a baseline at least because I am seriously contemplating that split second turbo tuner. Just seems that product is right down my alley as it doesn't throw the larger amounts of boost out there. Just don't want to cause myself any grief with engine troubles. I'm just waiting on someone to post with a blown engine because of the crazy boost spikes I have been reading about with the other computer mods. But will have to see.

fz
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 07:01 PM   #26
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Cool then, I'm hoping to get it to the shop in the next two weeks. Anxious to get a baseline at least because I am seriously contemplating that split second turbo tuner. Just seems that product is right down my alley as it doesn't throw the larger amounts of boost out there. Just don't want to cause myself any grief with engine troubles. I'm just waiting on someone to post with a blown engine because of the crazy boost spikes I have been reading about with the other computer mods. But will have to see.

fz
I love the SSTT in my 335xi. The added traction from AWD is nice too with the added power. I would love to have it out on the twisties beyond the front range - rte 6 out of Golden, again over Loveland pass. I'm sure you've got even better places, being local. Once you get the hang of how the AWD reacts, it's a blast.

When you do the install, hold a quarter in one hand, reach down with that hand, insert the quarter under the clip, and then pull the plug apart. Quarter should fall in your hand if you do it right, or under the car if you don't. Then plug in the SSTT. Took me less than a minute with this. Spent 10 minutes trying to get my big mitts in there to lift the clip and slide apart.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #27
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
I love the SSTT in my 335xi. The added traction from AWD is nice too with the added power. I would love to have it out on the twisties beyond the front range - rte 6 out of Golden, again over Loveland pass. I'm sure you've got even better places, being local. Once you get the hang of how the AWD reacts, it's a blast.

When you do the install, hold a quarter in one hand, reach down with that hand, insert the quarter under the clip, and then pull the plug apart. Quarter should fall in your hand if you do it right, or under the car if you don't. Then plug in the SSTT. Took me less than a minute with this. Spent 10 minutes trying to get my big mitts in there to lift the clip and slide apart.
Oh sweet, you have one installed... So how do you like it? The moderate boost increase seems to be just what the doctor ordered. How long have you had it installed? Have you had any worries about reliability or trouble codes, etc.?

You know it about highway 6, that is a heck of a lot of fun when there isn't much traffic going to blackhawk and central city. You remember those tunnels up that road? A couple of years back my uncle and I took his 355 ferrari through there and I think it was tunnel 3 that we went through it like 4 times up to about 120 mph to hear the scream of that engine. It was funny there were fisherman and mountain bikers that had to stop and just listen to the roar of that car through the tunnel.

Thanks for the heads up on the SSTT.
fz
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 09:17 PM   #28
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

You had a ferrari....in the tunnels....and didn't record that???? What is wrong with you????

I REALLY like the SSTT on the xi. The power is perfect, makes the car a beast from the stop light to the on-ramp all the way up the highway. I find myself crusing in 4th gear all the time, just for the opportunity to punch it and be shoved back in my seat. Not like a ferrari, but like nothing else I've owned. The xi is great for putting all that power to the ground, especially in the twisties out there in the mountains. I've only been lucky enough to get an upgrade on an SUV when I'm there, never had a great sports sedan. I'm looking forward to moving to the rockies, hope to pull it off in the next 9 mos.

I've had the SSTT for about 6 weeks now. Install was easy once I found my trick (above), and no codes, at all, whatsoever. And I drive it like I stole it.

I'm considering the V2 or Dinan in the spring, but I don't know. The car has plenty of power with the SSTT, it would be hard to justify the cost and complexity.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 10:04 PM   #29
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
You had a ferrari....in the tunnels....and didn't record that???? What is wrong with you????

I REALLY like the SSTT on the xi. The power is perfect, makes the car a beast from the stop light to the on-ramp all the way up the highway. I find myself crusing in 4th gear all the time, just for the opportunity to punch it and be shoved back in my seat. Not like a ferrari, but like nothing else I've owned. The xi is great for putting all that power to the ground, especially in the twisties out there in the mountains. I've only been lucky enough to get an upgrade on an SUV when I'm there, never had a great sports sedan. I'm looking forward to moving to the rockies, hope to pull it off in the next 9 mos.

I've had the SSTT for about 6 weeks now. Install was easy once I found my trick (above), and no codes, at all, whatsoever. And I drive it like I stole it.

I'm considering the V2 or Dinan in the spring, but I don't know. The car has plenty of power with the SSTT, it would be hard to justify the cost and complexity.
Well maybe if you were go to proceed I can buy your sstt. Lemme know if you go down that route. Probably not worthwhile for me to buy the sstt now that the weather is changing for the worse.

Thanks for the info...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #30
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnferno View Post
I really like the 335, but I would only get the 335xi up here for obvious reasons. I know that there will be more drivetrain loss than the 335i, but want to know how much before I pull the trigger on getting a 335xi.

Hey Inferno, gonna head to MAC 1pm this coming Saturday. jtmccabe is gonna come too and watch but maybe dyno his too but not sure at this point.

Definitely would be cool to see the two run on the same dyno and same day as he has the RWD and I'm AWD.

I will video for sure and post results for the board to see.

Just an FYI.

fz
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #31
lnferno
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Hey Inferno, gonna head to MAC 1pm this coming Saturday. jtmccabe is gonna come too and watch but maybe dyno his too but not sure at this point.

Definitely would be cool to see the two run on the same dyno and same day as he has the RWD and I'm AWD.

I will video for sure and post results for the board to see.

Just an FYI.

fz
Sweet! It would be SO worth it for him to run, too. Two different 335s on the same dyno, same day, same conditions. It would be a crime not to take advantage of that opportunity, especially if he plans to go anyways!

jtmccabe -- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dyno your car as well! That type of information would be great to share on the forum!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #32
jtmccabe
Commoner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Sweet! It would be SO worth it for him to run, too. Two different 335s on the same dyno, same day, same conditions. It would be a crime not to take advantage of that opportunity, especially if he plans to go anyways!

jtmccabe -- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dyno your car as well! That type of information would be great to share on the forum!
Ahh, the pressure's on now! I've been trying not to spend money on stupid things but what the hell, I guess I won't get another chance like this soon.

I have snow tires on right now. That won't be an issue, will it?
2008 335i sedan | 6MT | Dinan S2 flash | Titanium Silver/Black leather/Burl walnut | Sport | Premium | CW| CA | Nav | HD Radio | iPod/USB | Sirius | PDC | Style 162/230 (winter/summer) | M3 steering wheel | ZHP shift knob | Blacklines | Lux 4.0 | etc.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #33
lnferno
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmccabe View Post
Ahh, the pressure's on now! I've been trying not to spend money on stupid things but what the hell, I guess I won't get another chance like this soon.

I have snow tires on right now. That won't be an issue, will it?
Snow tires are fine -- as long as they aren't studded.

You guys are awesome! It is so rare to have this type of opportunity to see two different types of the same car on the same dyno, same day! Major props to you both for doing this! Be sure you call them and let them know you want to dyno as well!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 06:59 PM   #34
jtmccabe
Commoner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

You guys are awesome! It is so rare to have this type of opportunity to see two different types of the same car on the same dyno, same day! Major props to you both for doing this! Be sure you call them and let them know you want to dyno as well!
Nope, no studs. They slip a lot on the street under full power but I'm guessing they'll cinch it down so that doesn't happen.

Forza made appointments for both of us so we're all set.
2008 335i sedan | 6MT | Dinan S2 flash | Titanium Silver/Black leather/Burl walnut | Sport | Premium | CW| CA | Nav | HD Radio | iPod/USB | Sirius | PDC | Style 162/230 (winter/summer) | M3 steering wheel | ZHP shift knob | Blacklines | Lux 4.0 | etc.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #35
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:

+1 Looking forward to the results.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #36
jtmccabe
Commoner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Okay, results are posted here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...37#post1762937

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #37
lnferno
Private
Rep

Nice work, gentlemen! You guys have some very impressive dyno results, especially given our altitude. Because of the atmospheric pressure up here, we lose ~3-4 psi compared to at sea-level. They say that 1 psi is *roughly* 10 HP, so that explains the difference and puts you guys pretty much what people at sea-level are running if you were at sea-level, too.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #38
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Im in Highlands Ranch / Lone Tree. Hit me up!
Appreciate 0