E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Blown Head on 335i

06-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Tito335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Alpine, Coral Red

Blown Head on 335i

Hey everyone i think i blew the head on my car spoken to a couple techs and all say the same thing need to change the head. It all started with a little bit of a misfire when i got back home a Saturday night after going out so i decided to change the oil and oil filter and spark plugs while i was at it. So i went ahead took it to a Tech got it changed and little while later on in the day the car got worse constant white smoke coming out the exhaust car sounds horrible, i will try to upload a video of the car. Thanks

Mileage- 33,679
Mods- Custom IC, BMS Filter(Single Cone), JB3 V1.2, Custom Exhaust, Stock DP Gutted, and RR Oil Catch Can
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Sounds like your antifreeze going into the oil there. I'd be very surprised your head is intact. unless you have a cracked block which is way worse. Sorry man, and definitely don't run the engine any more or you'll just do irreparable damage to it. J/L.
      06-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
Tito335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

How would the antifreeze be getting into the oil ?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

If possible, take pics of the repair process like the tech did in the new turbos thread. Thanks

Any idea what caused it? Oh and make sure you remove your mods to stay in warranty GL!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Take a look at your oil- open up the filler and peek and see if the oil is a milkshake (emulsified). You might not be able to see- you could try pulling the engine oil drain plug briefly and see if any crap comes out (water is heavier than oil).

If you blew a head gasket or worse it should have thrown a code. It would also pressure the heck out of the cooling system and tends to cause the radiator to blow into the expansion tank (check for bubbles but be careful I forgot if the expansion tank is pressurized or not)

White smoke (esp if it smells sweet like antifreeze) sounds like a blown HG but it could be a lot of things.

Hopefully it's not serious.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
jonerik26
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: black 335i e90 PRE-LCI

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
1998 Acura Integra  [8.50]
2006 325i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito335i View Post
usually if you blow your head the gasket is what causes it.. faulty gasket equals coolant circulating around it to leak with wherever oil is, if you drain the oil and it comes out muddy, you'll know for sure the coolant has mixed with the oil

same thing happen to me with my integra, was able to clean out the head and replace the gasket
      06-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep

white smoke usually means antifreeze getting into oil via head. I had this happen on a VW Jetta. The head warped and I knowing little about it continued using the car for a while until it got too bad. So when I got it checked, the head was warped had to replace the head and gasket. I think they said the car got too hot thats why the head warped. BTW it drunk water oil looked milky whitish like a choclate mix swirl. Anti freeze just went in to oil, mostly. Some shiny oil residue in the radiator, but mostly the antifreeze in the oil.
      06-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
Tito335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also forget to put knocking noise comming from the top of the motor, sounds like a valve idk.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #9
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
Hey everyone i think i blew the head on my car spoken to a couple techs and all say the same thing need to change the head. It all started with a little bit of a misfire when i got back home a Saturday night after going out so i decided to change the oil and oil filter and spark plugs while i was at it. So i went ahead took it to a Tech got it changed and little while later on in the day the car got worse constant white smoke coming out the exhaust car sounds horrible, i will try to upload a video of the car. Thanks

Mileage- 33,679
Mods- Custom IC, BMS Filter(Single Cone), JB3 V1.2, Custom Exhaust, Stock DP Gutted, and RR Oil Catch Can

Do yourself a favor after you check that the oil and coolant are not mixing, make sure your Catch can lines are not clogged. pull the catch can fitting on the valve cover off and let it vent to atmosphere and retest the car. a clogged crankcase line has exactly the same symptoms!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
white smoke usually means antifreeze getting into oil via head. I had this happen on a VW Jetta. The head warped and I knowing little about it continued using the car for a while until it got too bad. So when I got it checked, the head was warped had to replace the head and gasket. I think they said the car got too hot thats why the head warped. BTW it drunk water oil looked milky whitish like a choclate mix swirl. Anti freeze just went in to oil, mostly. Some shiny oil residue in the radiator, but mostly the antifreeze in the oil.
OP did you get a limp mode or have your temps been higher than normal?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
Dan335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6MT,w/sp. pack.

How much boost are you running?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
Tito335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

was running map 6which is 16 i think
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #13
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

What year? A lot of the older 335i's don't have oil coolers, so they run incredibly hot... tell them to put one in if your car does not have one.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #14
Tito335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have an Oil Cooler
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 11:08 PM   #15
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
Hope everything works out I'll be eyeing this thread
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 03:46 AM   #16
ArktisE92
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 (Sold) / GT3RS / SLK55

Quote:
white smoke usually means antifreeze getting into oil via head...
Could somebody please explain to a newbie how the antifreeze+oil milkshake could eventually result in white smoke? Presumably from the mixture getting burned up in the cylinder? I thought the oil and coolant paths don't come into physical contact with fuel/exhaust in a normal engine... or are we saying that a faulty head would by definition leak oil into the cylinder?

Thanks for putting up with my newbie question...
SOLD — '07 E92 335i 6AT ZSP | Drivetrain: Procede CANBUS | Supersprint Catback Quads | Suspension & Handling: Sachs Performance Coilovers | Brembo GT 380/345mm BBK | Breyton Race GTS + Michelin PS2 19's | Vanity: M-Tech Bodykit | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | MFD Air Scoops | ///M Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 04:19 AM   #17
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArktisE92 View Post
Could somebody please explain to a newbie how the antifreeze+oil milkshake could eventually result in white smoke? Presumably from the mixture getting burned up in the cylinder? I thought the oil and coolant paths don't come into physical contact with fuel/exhaust in a normal engine... or are we saying that a faulty head would by definition leak oil into the cylinder?

Thanks for putting up with my newbie question...
being a newb myself, i have no issues with questions but lets read the whole thread prior to asking for answers already in an one page thread. a better question: besides a warped/faulty head gasket, what other events cause antifreeze to get into the oil?

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like your antifreeze going into the oil there. I'd be very surprised your head is intact. unless you have a cracked block which is way worse. Sorry man, and definitely don't run the engine any more or you'll just do irreparable damage to it. J/L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1526 View Post
usually if you blow your head the gasket is what causes it.. faulty gasket equals coolant circulating around it to leak with wherever oil is, if you drain the oil and it comes out muddy, you'll know for sure the coolant has mixed with the oil

same thing happen to me with my integra, was able to clean out the head and replace the gasket
- just being a nazi
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 06:21 AM   #18
ArktisE92
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 (Sold) / GT3RS / SLK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyFiasco View Post
being a newb myself, i have no issues with questions but lets read the whole thread prior to asking for answers already in an one page thread. a better question: besides a warped/faulty head gasket, what other events cause antifreeze to get into the oil?
I get the part that a warped head can result in antifeeze mixing with oil...

But my original question really was about the source of that white smoke--is it the "mixture" getting burned up in the combustion chamber? Or because of overheating as a result of the mixture fouling up the cooling system?
SOLD — '07 E92 335i 6AT ZSP | Drivetrain: Procede CANBUS | Supersprint Catback Quads | Suspension & Handling: Sachs Performance Coilovers | Brembo GT 380/345mm BBK | Breyton Race GTS + Michelin PS2 19's | Vanity: M-Tech Bodykit | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | MFD Air Scoops | ///M Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 06:57 AM   #19
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep

Quote:

But my original question really was about the source of that white smoke--is it the "mixture" getting burned up in the combustion chamber? Or because of overheating as a result of the mixture fouling up the cooling system?
it's the mixture burning the antifreeze/oil mixture in the combustion chamber, that's why people are asking to check the engine oil.
the smoke would be coming out of the exhaust, not the hood.

although i'm coming off as an ass, don't think i'm trying to pick on you specifically. there's just been a wave of members asking questions that can be easily answered with an easy search. more on white smoke and head gaskets1, 2

Last edited by JoeyFiasco; 06-16-2009 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #20
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Quote:

When the throttle is shut and the cylinders and intake runners are pulling a vacuum, coolant will be drawn into the intake runners (if designed with water crossovers etc) and/or combustion chamber from the head/block coolant passages etc.

The oil issue is separate as depending on how the engine is designed and what fails (head gasket vs some other simple coolant gasket) you could get a lot or a little coolant in the oil.

Tito: are you still driving this car or did you bring it in for service?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #21
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Every engine burns a little oil by design (lubricating the cylinders means a little gets by the rings by intention or cylinder would scrape and wear faster) even a brand new engine. The engine is water cooled, meaning there are water jackets around cylinders full of what? Antifreeze ofcourse. Antifreeze carries the heat away from the cylinders to the heater exchanger (AKA radiator) that uses air to cool and then it is re-circulated back to the engine block water jackets.

Now the head convers the cylinders and natuirally provides a seal between the water in the jacket and the cylinder. If your head warps due to over heating, or your head gasket blows, you have lost the water-tight seal between cylinder and water in the water jacket. This is the main way (not ONLY way) antifreeze finds its way into the oil. The white smoke is usually the atifreeze evarporate from boiling and mystifying in the cylinder. What doesn't get past the rings into the oil, escapes as the white smoke in the tailpipe. Another but rare way (usually fatal - new motor required?) this happens is if for some reason the block cracks and water seeps into the oil through the cylinder wall (This seems to be more common in cast-iron diesel applications usually in trucks, than it is on gasoline car applications). If your block is cracked, you need a new engine, if its just a cylinder head gasket, then you replace it, before it warps your head and costs you a lot more $$$. I hope that helps. If I find a schematic I will attach it, the picture makes it crystal clear.
      06-16-2009, 11:35 PM   #22
Tito335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i currently have it parked in my garage first need to get everything off before it goes to the dealer trying to keep my warranty but yeah i will soon but just wanted some opinions before anything i'll maybe get a mechanic to come check out the car will be informing you when he does. Thank You Everyone for the Help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianBullet View Post
When the throttle is shut and the cylinders and intake runners are pulling a vacuum, coolant will be drawn into the intake runners (if designed with water crossovers etc) and/or combustion chamber from the head/block coolant passages etc.

The oil issue is separate as depending on how the engine is designed and what fails (head gasket vs some other simple coolant gasket) you could get a lot or a little coolant in the oil.

Tito: are you still driving this car or did you bring it in for service?
Appreciate 0