Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 20mm offset, told it wont clear brakes?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-03-2018, 09:07 PM   #1
SATX
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 328i Barbera Red

20mm offset, told it wont clear brakes?

This is my first post here and I hate to start a new thread for a simple question that I think I know the answer to... but I've read all the relevant threads and I figured I should just ask so I can get a direct answer.

I have a stock 2008 e90 with factory sport suspension. I'm trying to put 17" Beyern Spartans on it. 8" 35mm offset (F) and 9" 20mm offset (R). I ordered the wheels from Discount, but then got a voicemail the next day saying that the 20mm rears won't fit because they won't clear the calipers and rotors. Huh? The diameter is the same as came on the car and the lower offset should just push the wheel out towards the fender 23mm or so. Or am I missing something? From what I've gathered this should be close, but still work on this car. Tires are Pilot Sport AS3+ 255/40-17

The reason I'm sticking with 17's is that I just bought new tires a couple months ago and within about two weeks started losing air in both rears. after three trips back...cracked rims. So I don't want to have to buy a new set of tires to move up in rim size.

Hopefully one of you guys can get back to me on this and ease my mind so I can push them to just order them or change it if need be.

Thanks!

Evan
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
inspired626
Private
Rep
Drives: A slow one

I think the shop should be more concerned about possible rubbing issues with your rear wheels. It's definitely not a brake clearance issue. Is there another shop in the area that you can go to for the wheels that specializes in Euro's or BMW's?

Beyern wheels has had rear brake clearance issues with one of their wheels back in the day, but those were on E46's because the rears required such a high offset.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 09:34 AM   #3
SATX
Rep

Thanks for getting back to me. That's what I figured. I just wanted to be sure because a little rubbing I can deal with, but not a brake clearance issue. From what I gathered here I 'think' that they should fit without rubbing though.

I'll see if there's another place around. I only went with them because it's where I got the tires and they're the ones that found the cracked rear wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 10:26 AM   #4
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

Could they possibly be talking about barrel clearance, not face clearance? I have 18x9 et20s on my 330i and clears happily in both cases. But E39 540i spec style 32s, 17x8 et20, 17x9 et26, did not fit up front over the calipers, and may not have fit in the back. The e90 has similarly sized rear diameter calipers to the front if I recall.
      01-04-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
SATX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post
Could they possibly be talking about barrel clearance, not face clearance? I have 18x9 et20s on my 330i and clears happily in both cases. But E39 540i spec style 32s, 17x8 et20, 17x9 et26, did not fit up front over the calipers, and may not have fit in the back. The e90 has similarly sized rear diameter calipers to the front if I recall.
But why would the 20 offset cause the barrel to be smaller? The stock wheels are 17" too and apparently the 35 offset of the same wheel is a guaranteed fitment.

Did your 330i originally have 17" rims on it?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX View Post
But why would the 20 offset cause the barrel to be smaller? The stock wheels are 17" too and apparently the 35 offset of the same wheel is a guaranteed fitment.

Did your 330i originally have 17" rims on it?
It wouldn't be the offset, that is absolutely fine, but the barrel might be too tight given that it's a 17" wheel. The barrel clearance and offset are independent of each other in this situation. But, not all wheels of the same diameter have the same barrel clearance, period.

17" style 32s don't have barrel clearance but my 17" arc8s clear. The style 32s have the lower offset but offset is mostly irrelevant here. That's the only possibility it seems, otherwise that shop is just incompetent or dumb.

My 330i had 18" style 162s but will supposedly fit 17"s from other e90s (as some non sport and/or xi's came with). It looks very tight with the stock 18"s already, though.
      01-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
SATX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post
It wouldn't be the offset, that is absolutely fine, but the barrel might be too tight given that it's a 17" wheel. The barrel clearance and offset are independent of each other in this situation. But, not all wheels of the same diameter have the same barrel clearance, period.

17" style 32s don't have barrel clearance but my 17" arc8s clear. The style 32s have the lower offset but offset is mostly irrelevant here. That's the only possibility it seems, otherwise that shop is just incompetent or dumb.

My 330i had 18" style 162s but will supposedly fit 17"s from other e90s (as some non sport and/or xi's came with). It looks very tight with the stock 18"s already, though.
Ok I get ya. If the 17" spartan in 35mm offset will clear then the same wheel in 20mm should too. May be that they are just incompetent or something was lost in translation. The guy I was dealing with placed the order no problem, but then was told by someone else later that they wouldn't clear.

I just took a look and the stock wheel (type 161) have at least 1.25" clearance from the inner barrel to the top edge of the caliper. More around the rotor. That seems like a lot of room to play.

Maybe I can contact Beyern and check, but I read somewhere that they couldn't find contact info for them. I'll check.

Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 09:51 PM   #8
SATX
Rep

So I got them to call the supplier back and check if it really was a brake clearance issue. Now they say that it isn't brakes but fender clearance which I would expect. C

Has anyone here used a 20 offset, 9" wide wheel with a 255 Michelin tire that can confirm that they should fit? I read through a lot of these fitment treads before I ordered them and it seems to me that it should be close but still fit, hopefully without needing a fender roll.
Appreciate 0