E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Modded E90/E92 Cluster to look like M3

Closed Thread

09-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #89
JCLBoston
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

looks pretty good.. regarding the ability to dim the brightness.. can this be done on a car w/o iDrive? Can you dim just the gauge cluster?
      09-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #90
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLBoston View Post
looks pretty good.. regarding the ability to dim the brightness.. can this be done on a car w/o iDrive? Can you dim just the gauge cluster?
LOL...if you get this done..you will have to change your signature!!! Yes you can dim the interior lights via the stick near the driver's side..Check out your manual kid!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 05:32 AM   #91
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
here are some pics...Remember the brightness of the lights can be dimmed and mine are turned on to the max, and the last wide angle picture makes it brighter than it really is, its the light that reflected off the camera that made it blurry and bright as hell, but use the first two pics to see the brightness in true form...
I love your car cn555ic, but you really lost the flow of the interior of the car. If you do one white, then you really need to change every orange light in the car to white.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 07:00 AM   #92
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
I love your car cn555ic, but you really lost the flow of the interior of the car. If you do one white, then you really need to change every orange light in the car to white.
I understand your position on this, although its not a M signature vehicle, why do the M3, M5 and M6 all have the entire interior in amber while the guage cluster is white led?? If thats the case then you probably wouldn't like the interior of the M series cars
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 07:38 AM   #93
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I understand your position on this, although its not a M signature vehicle, why do the M3, M5 and M6 all have the entire interior in amber while the guage cluster is white led?? If thats the case then you probably wouldn't like the interior of the M series cars
Props to the work, I just think it looks out of place personally. It's not like I am saying this was poorly done.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #94
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Props to the work, I just think it looks out of place personally. It's not like I am saying this was poorly done.
You have to actually see it in person to get a grasp of it, but just sit in a M series car and you will understand...I guess the M interior cluster is not up your alley either! But again I know its your own opinion....just like how I feel with the Stett charge piping
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #95
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You have to actually see it in person to get a grasp of it, but just sit in a M series car and you will understand...I guess the M interior cluster is not up your alley either! But again I know its your own opinion....just like how I feel with the Stett charge piping
Lol. Just love to throw darts huh? I tried to help you and your friend. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #96
HighVoltage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Quote:
Alot of detail goes behind this mod and DIY is almost impossible if you don't have the skillz, taking out the cluster is not the problem!!! Its the eternals and circuit board thats the issue...I mean you can fry your whole circuit board for the cluster and there goes 1000 bucks down the drain, if more because it would require you to bring it to the dealer and reprogram it, if you don't know what your doing.....
Its not that bad really. The package footprints for leds are not that big of an issue to remove and install. You arent likely going to fry anything but if you arent comfortable using a soldering iron than you should not touch it. If you are then you just need to be careful with removing and installing the needles. The cost for this is all in the labor. The parts are dirt cheap.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/
http://www.garagejournal.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #97
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol. Just love to throw darts huh? I tried to help you and your friend. Oh well.
Im only messing with you dude....but I will tell my friend about what your stated....but I wish they could have used the OEM coupling to the manifold and I would have been 100% sold....I am in the market for a FMIC and I love alot of them but will not pull the trigger because I want them to use the OEM couplings and fittings instead of those dreaded clamps...But seriously I was joking with you!! Your taking it the wrong way!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #98
LuvMyRide
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
2006 E90 Xi  [0.00]
Help me out how?? What do I need help with?? lol
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #99
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyRide View Post
Help me out how?? What do I need help with?? lol
Not you, I am speaking of someone else with a Stett charge pipe!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 06:49 AM   #100
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

cn, understanding internet tone is difficult. lol.

If anyone wants to do this themselves, just look up surface mount or chip LEDs. They traditionally cost about 50 cents to a dollar a piece. Anyone with a set of tweezers and soldering iron can do this for probably about $10. cn555ic, you can do the rest of the car for probably $30 in parts if you wanted to venture into it.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #101
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

High Voltage is exactly right too. If anyone wants to do this themselves, just look up surface mount or chip LEDs. They traditionally cost about 50 cents to a dollar a piece. Anyone with a set of tweezers and soldering iron can do this for probably about $10. cn555ic, you can do the rest of the car for probably $30 in parts if you wanted to venture into it.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #102
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:

High Voltage is exactly right too. If anyone wants to do this themselves, just look up surface mount or chip LEDs. They traditionally cost about 50 cents to a dollar a piece. Anyone with a set of tweezers and soldering iron can do this for probably about $10. cn555ic, you can do the rest of the car for probably $30 in parts if you wanted to venture into it.
I would believe that almost anything can be changed on the car, but somethings are left to people that have some knowledge in soldering and the precise soldering of small items that are size of a grape pit...I have done every mod thus far on my car myself, but looking at the cluster from the circuit board as I did when it was opened up, I would never even attempt to try this mod myself under any circumstances whether it saves me money or not! One wrong move or mistake and there goes about 1000 bucks down the drain. The cluster although it looks pretty in the dash, its a pretty delicate piece and cannot be roughed around..You seem to be very hands on with everything that you do with your car, out of all the people on this forum, I bet you would be capable of doing this mod by yourself, while I would say 95% or even more would not even want to take on the challenge...Remember its not the cost of the material when it comes to this mod, its the time and labor thats the cost...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #103
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Boosted..I am stopping at this point and feel in no way that I need to add any more and at this point thats all I will be doing in the interior...I kind of love the rest of the interior being amber orange...Its actually soothing and with the cluster being white Led, it provides a wonderful contrast between cockpit and the rest of the surrounding interior!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #104
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i

Steven, u don't have to sit here and defend urself bro. If you like it that's all that matters. I agree that it looks a bit out of place with the complete white gauge and amber everywhere else.... but if u like it then ur golden
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #105
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I would believe that almost anything can be changed on the car, but somethings are left to people that have some knowledge in soldering and the precise soldering of small items that are size of a grape pit...I have done every mod thus far on my car myself, but looking at the cluster from the circuit board as I did when it was opened up, I would never even attempt to try this mod myself under any circumstances whether it saves me money or not! One wrong move or mistake and there goes about 1000 bucks down the drain. The cluster although it looks pretty in the dash, its a pretty delicate piece and cannot be roughed around..You seem to be very hands on with everything that you do with your car, out of all the people on this forum, I bet you would be capable of doing this mod by yourself, while I would say 95% or even more would not even want to take on the challenge...Remember its not the cost of the material when it comes to this mod, its the time and labor thats the cost...
You probably are right, but the DIY crowd is bigger than it has ever been.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #106
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj323ci View Post
Steven, u don't have to sit here and defend urself bro. If you like it that's all that matters. I agree that it looks a bit out of place with the complete white gauge and amber everywhere else.... but if u like it then ur golden
How does this look out of place especially since the Navi screen has similar colors as well? I think this pic looks hot and if anything it compliments the interior...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #107
LuvMyRide
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
2006 E90 Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
How does this look out of place especially since the Navi screen has similar colors as well? I think this pic looks hot and if anything it compliments the interior...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #108
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyRide View Post
idk... just seems out of place every time i look at it. As long as u think it looks good, then more power to ya
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #109
dirtyylicous
Swagger on a trillion
Rep
Drives: IS300

Sorry for asking this again but is it possible to change all the other amber to white?
Like hvac, radio, and window buttons? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #110
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

I have some OEM M3 needles available if you want to complete this mod properly...PM me or click below my sig for more information.