E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

11-19-2008, 03:03 PM   #2839
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

^ yup im having the exact same setup. March 07 production MSD80 no updaters ever.

Hopefully someone with a 3/08+ or someone who knows they have 29.2+/v81 can chime in.
      11-19-2008, 03:20 PM   #2840
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkoh View Post
Why do they make the distinction for cars produced before Sept 2007? A car from pre-Sept 07 with 29.2 isn't the same as a car Oct 2007 with 29.2?
Not quite. The older one has problematic wastegate actuators which can cause rattle.

So, with v29.2 all cars up to 03/08 have lag.

The distinction is made so that build dates 09/07 to 03/08 can have the no-lag software per default from January 2009 on, whereas pre-09/07 cars will only get that software on request for less lag (but you "have to understand" that this can cause rattle).
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #2841
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
Not quite. The older one has problematic wastegate actuators which can cause rattle.

The distinction is made so that build dates 09/07 to 03/08 can have the no-lag software per default from January 2009 on, whereas pre-09/07 cars will only get that software on request for less lag (but you "have to understand" that this can cause rattle).

And basically the MSD81 cars that came with 29.2+ are just plain F'd....or the new v32 when they get updated will fix them? Im really confused? I dont really want to make my purchase based on build date but so far it sounds like the 09/07-03/08 production dates are the cars I want to search for, LOL.

That or a pre 09-07 with fixed actuators?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #2842
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackz View Post
And basically the MSD81 cars that came with 29.2+ are just plain F'd....or the new v32 when they get updated will fix them? Im really confused? I dont really want to make my purchase based on build date but so far it sounds like the 09/07-03/08 production dates are the cars I want to search for, LOL.

That or a pre 09-07 with fixed actuators?
Since BMW says that MSD81 are not affected, I doubt that there will be a fix for those ones. So, basically, you're right.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 03:55 PM   #2843
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Since BMW says that MSD81 are not affected, I doubt that there will be a fix for those ones. So, basically, you're right.
Well then, looks like Im looking for an 07 or early model 08 then! Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #2844
Canadian-eh
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:

So if the main issue is the wastegate actuators, what's the cost of simply replacing them? More than the 4 or more hours needed to reprogram the ECU? From what I've seen, a number of people have already had this done by BMW. Hell, it may even be worth paying for them to be replaced - if and when they go noisy.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #2845
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Ok, so we've basically locked down that you guys who have pre 29.2 and have never gotten an update are consistently showing 1" of wear on the rear rod, then upon starting, the wear dissapears. Now we need some post 29.2 updated victims.

I'll volunteer, when I get home in a bit. Could one of you guys be trouble to post a picture of your rod (HA, sorry) with the car started, so we can get a visual? Hell, I don't even know where exactly to look. If I remember correctly, it's about middle of the engine length-wise, down the bottom, on the passenger side?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #2846
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
Ok, so we've basically locked down that you guys who have pre 29.2 and have never gotten an update are consistently showing 1" of wear on the rear rod, then upon starting, the wear dissapears. Now we need some post 29.2 updated victims.

I'll volunteer, when I get home in a bit. Could one of you guys be trouble to post a picture of your rod (HA, sorry) with the car started, so we can get a visual? Hell, I don't even know where exactly to look. If I remember correctly, it's about middle of the engine length-wise, down the bottom, on the passenger side?
The wear mark is on the Actuator rod itself, the wear is from the rod getting pulled into the actuator, which closes the wastgate when this happens.

So when the car is off, you can see the wear mark on the ROD, the reason it goes away is because the Actuator has pulled it into itself when the car is started in order to close the wastegate, which creates the wear mark in the first place.

Here is something that may help, use Mr.5 first set of pictures to see where you are looking, you will see the rear turbo wastegate(only one there) and the ROD, cant miss it, just get a flash light.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132037
      11-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #2847
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix

Let's not forget that even 29.2 performs better right after a cold start. So to have a meaningful poll, we might have to report rod results for BOTH actuators:

1. Before start
2. After start
3. 10 minutes later

If I start my car and just let it idle, then after about 10 minutes, it lets out this big loud fart and drops the exhaust note about five whole steps. I wonder if that is related...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #2848
Canadian-eh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
Here's a pic of mine. Looking from fender on passenger side. You can see the 1" wear mark.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #2849
shaddai
former N54 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Audi S4 DTM

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
Let's not forget that even 29.2 performs better right after a cold start.
Mine seems to perform worse when it's cold... or at least performs rather well after a 45 minute drive.

Anyways... I just did this (w/o taking pics) and I do see the wastegate rod move about 3/4", although it's kind of hard to discern as my engine bay is really clean still.

I did check the clips around the vacuum tubes (heh...) and one was tighter than I think it should be. I loosened it up, as well as slightly rearranged the tubes coming out of the things right behind the headlight (they were slightly kinked, but not very much). We'll see how she drives tonight.
      11-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #2850
Canadian-eh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddai View Post
Anyways... I just did this (w/o taking pics) and I do see the wastegate rod move about 3/4", although it's kind of hard to discern as my engine bay is really clean still.
If you're referring to my picture, I posted it because ezatnova didn't know where to find his rod! So I showed him mine.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #2851
shaddai
former N54 owner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian-eh View Post
If you're referring to my picture, I posted it because ezatnova didn't know where to find his rod! So I showed him mine.
If ezatnova hadn't made that rod reference... I'll have to go back and take a pic of mine for completeness sake... and think of some way to measure it somehow. See how long my rod is...
      11-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #2852
Canadian-eh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddai View Post
If ezatnova hadn't made that rod reference... I'll have to go back and take a pic of mine for completeness sake... and think of some way to measure it somehow. See how long my rod is...
Remember that it's only the worn bit at the end that we're interested in.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #2853
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
Let's not forget that even 29.2 performs better right after a cold start. So to have a meaningful poll, we might have to report rod results for BOTH actuators:

1. Before start
2. After start
3. 10 minutes later

If I start my car and just let it idle, then after about 10 minutes, it lets out this big loud fart and drops the exhaust note about five whole steps. I wonder if that is related...
You sure you are not talking about the drivers side exhaust flap? but it would take about 60 seconds not 10 min to open.

My car seems to be the same in cold or warm when talking of wastegate being closed during idle.

P.s.
where are all the 29.2 guys, give us some feedback. Only way this might not work is if bmw isnt opening or closing both turbos wastegates together, or leaving one open and one close/ vice versa.

More 29.2 input please
      11-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #2854
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I fully agree with meyer. They are making an announcement but not andmitting a defect. That would open a wastegate...I mean floodgate of problems for them.
I am curious how they will be addressing the mechanical problems that are sure to come up after the cars are flashed back. Or maybe they have figured out that by waiting until January most of the cars mechaincal issues will happen after the warranty runs out on the build dates that will be reflashed.
One can never be sure with BVMW, they are a tricky beast, wily and cunning, much like Wile E. Coyote....Suuuuper Genius
      11-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #2855
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Ezatnova.....look down, unless you are standing on your head....it should be there.
Professor, well said!
      11-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #2856
shaddai
former N54 owner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
I fully agree with meyer. They are making an announcement but not andmitting a defect. That would open a wastegate...I mean floodgate of problems for them.
I am curious how they will be addressing the mechanical problems that are sure to come up after the cars are flashed back. Or maybe they have figured out that by waiting until January most of the cars mechaincal issues will happen after the warranty runs out on the build dates that will be reflashed.
One can never be sure with BVMW, they are a tricky beast, wily and cunning, much like Wile E. Coyote....Suuuuper Genius
It's supremely obvious that they don't want to admit fault or defects or what not. I'm honestly surprised they actually officially acknowledged the issue, even if they're not forthcoming about details and the list of those who are truly affected...
      11-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #2857
Quisp
United_States
Rep

I dont think they are going to be as accomodating as we would like. They have already made it clear that you have to have another problem to get the reflash. Then I wonder what other hoops we will have t o jump through to get this. Do you think Dinan people will be able to get it as a warranty issue or will they probably have to pay?
I get the feeling we shouldnt put the KY away just yet.(pardon my crudeness)
      11-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #2858
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
I dont think they are going to be as accomodating as we would like. They have already made it clear that you have to have another problem to get the reflash. Then I wonder what other hoops we will have t o jump through to get this. Do you think Dinan people will be able to get it as a warranty issue or will they probably have to pay?
I get the feeling we shouldnt put the KY away just yet.(pardon my crudeness)
Yeah Quisp I have a feeling it is going to be difficult for the guys who have not been in touch with a BMWNA rep and their local SM. Also, if you have a March 08 build date or greater it will probably be twice as hard. As long as you have been in touch with your BMWNA rep and SM at your dealership there should be no issue. When this news was announced I called both my rep and SM and they promised me that the minute it was state side I will be updated. I passed on the v31.1.1 upgrade as there was no evidence that it resolved our issue. I will certainly not pass on this update and if I need to be a guinea pig for the rest of you I will gladly do so.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #2859
cda888
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

My car is a 10/07 build, no software update since purchase. Like the rest of you, the rod on the wastegate shows the 1" wear when the car is stopped, and then it disappears (assume it is being pulled in) after I start the car.

Is this actually any different than a 29.2 car?
      11-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #2860
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda888 View Post
My car is a 10/07 build, no software update since purchase. Like the rest of you, the rod on the wastegate shows the 1" wear when the car is stopped, and then it disappears (assume it is being pulled in) after I start the car.

Is this actually any different than a 29.2 car?
From what people have been notified, the wastegate are staying open during idle on 29.2+ cars.
Now the big benefit will be if bmw is keeping both open with this new software, in which we will be able to tell right away if u have a 29.2+ software, or if they are just changing one turbo wastegate position with the new program.