E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

03-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #3961
DELTA BMW
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

is 32.1.0 the newest software version (sorry if this is a repost)?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #3962
paltomare
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBMWE46M3 View Post
This might take me a while so bear with me...As all of you know I got the new v32.x lag fixing software put on my car about a month ago. After I got my car back all I could say was it was different. Maybe a little faster but I still was not thrilled. Well about a week and a half later, the car basically took a dump on me. I step on the gas and it felt like someone pulled a couple of spark plugs out of the car. Anyway at this point I am really pissed. So I take it back to the dealer and woe and behold HPFP number 2 has gone bad. That is 2 HPFP's in less than 8 months. Anyway I finally get my car back and I noticed it right away. ITS BACK!!!!! I could tell as soon as I left the parking lot in a blizzard. My ass dyno can feel the power come in at 1800 rpm or so and the pull is awsome. Stomp on it and the pull is NOW!! So now all I have to say is I finally got the car I test drove back in March of 08 in the car I have now!! It only took BMW 9 months to get it right. To think all along that they told me that nothing was wrong with my car!!!!!! Remember to all of the new people in here. I have a 4/08 build with msd80. Kind of rare but I have the paperwork to prove it after I insisted that my dealer identify my cpu....Don't worry, I'm gunna hang around here till the end!!!! RB
I think I may be in the same boat (Jan'08/MSD80). Been dealing with the lag issue since an update to 29.2 last Aug. Had a HPFP fail on me in Sept. Finally got 32.1 in Jan and wasn't all that impressed, sometimes it feels great sometimes it feels slugglish. A few weeks ago I started getting long cranks again so I think my HPFP is failing again. I haven't brought it in yet but I suspect my failing pump could be the reason I don't have the same feeling as others here with 32.1
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #3963
shaddai
former N54 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Audi S4 DTM

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
This might take me a while so bear with me...As all of you know I got the new v32.x lag fixing software put on my car about a month ago. After I got my car back all I could say was it was different. Maybe a little faster but I still was not thrilled. Well about a week and a half later, the car basically took a dump on me. I step on the gas and it felt like someone pulled a couple of spark plugs out of the car. Anyway at this point I am really pissed. So I take it back to the dealer and woe and behold HPFP number 2 has gone bad. That is 2 HPFP's in less than 8 months. Anyway I finally get my car back and I noticed it right away. ITS BACK!!!!! I could tell as soon as I left the parking lot in a blizzard. My ass dyno can feel the power come in at 1800 rpm or so and the pull is awsome. Stomp on it and the pull is NOW!! So now all I have to say is I finally got the car I test drove back in March of 08 in the car I have now!! It only took BMW 9 months to get it right. To think all along that they told me that nothing was wrong with my car!!!!!! Remember to all of the new people in here. I have a 4/08 build with msd80. Kind of rare but I have the paperwork to prove it after I insisted that my dealer identify my cpu....Don't worry, I'm gunna hang around here till the end!!!! RB
You're giving me hope for MSD80...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paltomare View Post
I think I may be in the same boat (Jan'08/MSD80). Been dealing with the lag issue since an update to 29.2 last Aug. Had a HPFP fail on me in Sept. Finally got 32.1 in Jan and wasn't all that impressed, sometimes it feels great sometimes it feels slugglish. A few weeks ago I started getting long cranks again so I think my HPFP is failing again. I haven't brought it in yet but I suspect my failing pump could be the reason I don't have the same feeling as others here with 32.1
I've been in that situation since I received 32.1 (long cranks). I've had two long cranks in the last week on a warm engine - they were typically only on a cold engine that hadn't been started in hours.
      03-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #3964
BMWagain
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 535i 2011

Garage List
2011 535iA  [0.00]
2009 BMW K1300S  [0.00]
2009 335iA Touring  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
2007 325i  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
Quote:
Congrats! After all agony comes release.Enjoy.
Is it 32.1 or 32.2?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #3965
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
So if I'm reading this correctly, as per SIB 111307, only cars produced from May 2006 up to Sept. 2007 have the option to replace the turbo wastegate actuators?
bump for info.

i had the 31.1 update 2 months ago ... only a bit better.
i am going in for 32.1 or 32.2 with lagfix this week.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #3966
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWagain View Post
Congrats! After all agony comes release.Enjoy.
Is it 32.1 or 32.2?
Thanks!!

32.1:32.2Not sure??? Ill have to look at my service receipt and post it. Those HPFP going bad with long cranks could be just the prelude to a new performing car. I did not have the long cranks on the second pump like I did on the first pump failure, just shitty performance. Really, it felt like someone had pulled a few spark plug wires. Get the new pumps and report back. Just tonight on the way home from the gun range I really worked her hard and man.., it really rips. Completely stock too!!
      03-11-2009, 04:52 AM   #3967
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb
So if I'm reading this correctly, as per SIB 111307, only cars produced from May 2006 up to Sept. 2007 have the option to replace the turbo wastegate actuators?
bump for info.
Terms like "wastegate conversion", "turbo retrofit" a.s.o. are not referring to hardware replacement but to a software option within ISTA/P.

Cars from 06/06 to 09/07 have flawed wastegates, thus, cars after 09/07 with new wastegates will get no wastegate replacement anyhow:

Quote:
Vehicles produced from September 2007 up to March 2008

Do not replace the turbocharger or adjust the existing wastegate actuator control rod.
Formally, even affected cars have no option to get their wastegates replaced when they develop noise. This is what BMW means when they say:

Quote:
After the "Waste gate valve conversion" has been completed, some waste gate-related noise may be detected.
However, BMW has actually replaced some wastegates despite of what they say.

Last edited by meyergru; 03-11-2009 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #3968
Cobu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by island111 View Post
and so does gas mileage! down from 25 city 30 highway to 20 average. Not sold on 32.1 I really believe it ran better before.
I also noticed a drop in avrg miles/galon. Even w/29.2 I used to run 19+m/g and now, three months after getting updated to 32.1 I can't get above 17.9m/g ? thought I should be able to do better than this considering that pre 29.2 i used to get 21+m/g.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #3969
golf4501
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobu View Post
I also noticed a drop in avrg miles/galon. Even w/29.2 I used to run 19+m/g and now, three months after getting updated to 32.1 I can't get above 17.9m/g ? thought I should be able to do better than this considering that pre 29.2 i used to get 21+m/g.
I've noticed a small drop in MPG since upgrading to 32.1. I was not sure if it was the software, or the normal Winter driving drop though. I guess I'll know for sure in about 1 month. For comparision, I filled up this morning and got 26.5 mpg on my last tank (95% highway driving). Average speed around 70 MPH
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #3970
MHirt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I cabrio, Saab 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4501 View Post
I've noticed a small drop in MPG since upgrading to 32.1. I was not sure if it was the software, or the normal Winter driving drop though. I guess I'll know for sure in about 1 month. For comparision, I filled up this morning and got 26.5 mpg on my last tank (95% highway driving). Average speed around 70 MPH
PM sent.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #3971
MHirt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, I just heard back from the service advisor. We went round and round about whether the SIB even applies to me. First she says the SIB is for "N54 Distinct Clanking Noise from Turbocharger Area", as indicated on the front page, a symptom about which I have not complained. I then politely directed her to the second page and the pertinent sections about "turbo lag".

At this point, she says "yes, but you have only been in twice, and both times only for an oil change, not for a software update". To this I responded, "This is what I told you the other day, and your response was "that is what the tech says"". I then told her that it appears that someone has tried to mislead.

Finally, I told her that my car would have been updated at the VPC in April 2008 and, therefore, I must have at least 29.2. She says she will speak with the shop foreman and call me back.

Meyergru, I think you have indicated before that cars coming through VPC get updated with the latest software. Do you know where I can verify this info, since this appears my best leg to stand on at the moment?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #3972
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep

About BMW dealers denying / discussing what they are obliged to do (I have told this numerous times):

Have BMWNA customer relations give them a reading comprehension of this official BMWNA press statement (or take your business elsewhere):

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/18/b...date-software/

Just call BMWNA and tell them the situation. I know of cases when people got a very polite callback from their dealers... just look around in this thread! It's not even your job to help them find this SIB.

Just imagine: Some dealers first denied the SIB being official in the first place! Well, up to a certain point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHirt View Post
Meyergru, I think you have indicated before that cars coming through VPC get updated with the latest software. Do you know where I can verify this info, since this appears my best leg to stand on at the moment?

Thanks.
That is what I have been told when I asked at European delivery center here in Munich when a friend of mine received his car. I wondered how some US-specific settings are even allowed here in Germany, such as honking on lock/unlock. That setting is explicitely forbidden here in the EU. Also, I recommended my friend to get some specific settings done in car & key memory which can only be applied with a diagnostic unit.

BMW told me that the cars get a special EU-compatible setting first which may not be altered and that they get re-programmed to US standards only upon re-delivery (oh, and it's VDC, really). My friend had to get his specific settings after he got the car in the U.S.

There was nothing in writing, but I guess that is common experience:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc...p/t-17286.html

http://www.autospies.com/news/Did-yo...-factory-1348/
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #3973
MHirt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Myergru. Actually, I edited my post to VDC, and then back again to VPC - found references to both (vehicle delivery center vs. vehicle processing center). I appreciate your input and will wait again to hear back from my SA.

To be honest, I generally drive very conservatively and am not that hung up on the turbo lag issue. My biggest beef right now is that my SA told me with a straight face that I have the "second most recent software" and now, when faced with the prospect of updating my software, they are trying to tell me that I was never updated. They can't have it both ways. They seem very adept at speaking out of both sides of their mouths as the situation requires.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #3974
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep

Quote:
My biggest beef right now is that my SA told me with a straight face that I have the "second most recent software" and now, when faced with the prospect of updating my software, they are trying to tell me that I was never updated. They can't have it both ways. They seem very adept at speaking out of both sides of their mouths as the situation requires.
If they were to try playing me that way, that alone would be enough grounds for me to make them regret it.

A loyal customer is worth the turnover of several cars, because he will most probably buy some of the same brand over the years. When you're in the luxury segment, that means MUCH money. At least here in Germany, most BMW dealers seem to know that. Interesting that in the homeland of capitalism, many don't. BMWNA sure knows it - have them explain it to your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #3975
MHirt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Meyergru. I entirely agree. I am patiently waiting to see how this all plays out. If this is not resolved to my satisfaction - and at this point I simply want them to acknowledge that I am eligible for the software update - then I will take this up the ladder, including BMWNA.

And yes, you would think that they would value their customers a little more, especially in the luxury segment, given the current state of the economy and the likelihood that a good experience will result in repeat business for them. They simply cannot see past the end of their short little noses.

Now, in their defense, 1) it could just be that I am dealing with a lousy SA, or 2) they could be less interested in me because they are not the dealer from which I purchased the vehicle. By no means are either of these good excuses, though.

I can't wait for the next phone call.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #3976
Daya
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 space gray/coral red

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [9.66]
mHirt - are you working with Fields BMW?

I got the exact same runaround from them, sounds like they are all reading from a script.

I brought the car in, showed them the March 2009 SIB - "blah blah blah, there is no such thing as a lag fix, I can't update you to the latest version unless there is an error" (even though I am mar07 production)

I called Patrick BMW and they acknowledged the Lag Fix right away and told me to bring the car in. I go in Friday morning and will let you know what happens.

GIAC S2 | Brembo GT BBK 355/345 | BBS CH-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | AR Design: DP, S1 Oil Cooler, OCC | AMS FMIC | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Borla MP | KW V1 | Stett: CAI, CP | Forge DV | P3 Boost Gauge | Arkym: Front Lip, Rear Quad Diffuser | Vorsteiner CSL Trunk | LUX H8 | ModMyNav | MFD M3 Sideskirts | BMW M-Tech Front/Rear Bumpers, Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #3977
eelton
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daya View Post
mHirt - are you working with Fields BMW?

I got the exact same runaround from them, sounds like they are all reading from a script.
I've been hitting a brick wall with Fields as well, with this and other issues. If you try to show them a service bulletin, they're apparently trained to say "We can't go by things you printed off the internet." Maybe I'll take my car to Patrick, or somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #3978
MHirt
Enlisted Member
Rep

No, I'm currently dealing with another dealer in the west burbs - PM me for details, if you like. I didn't actually show them my copy of the SIB. Instead, I spoke with the SA over the phone. She asked me which SIB and then called me when she had it in hand. Clearly, the SA was working with the same copy as me, because we debated specific parts of the document.

I'll be curious to know how your experience with Patrick goes. If they don't work out, then I'll go to Motorwerks in Barrington, from whom I originally purchased the car.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #3979
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I've had really good luck with Patrick's service department, and specifically stopped going to Fields because I got frustrated with their service. Not too fond of Patrick's sales, but service is great. For those in the area, their construction is finally done, and they have a brand spankin new service area.
      03-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #3980
golf4501
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
No, I'm currently dealing with another dealer in the west burbs - PM me for details, if you like. I didn't actually show them my copy of the SIB. Instead, I spoke with the SA over the phone. She asked me which SIB and then called me when she had it in hand. Clearly, the SA was working with the same copy as me, because we debated specific parts of the document.

I'll be curious to know how your experience with Patrick goes. If they don't work out, then I'll go to Motorwerks in Barrington, from whom I originally purchased the car.

Good luck!
Sounds like Laurel?

I had mine done at Bill Jacobs in Naperville. Got a little initial questioning, but the service manager called BMW to confirm, and they performed it. I would think there would be no issues for anyone at Jacobs now that I paved the way there (I was the 1st one they did)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #3981
BMWagain
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 535i 2011

Garage List
2011 535iA  [0.00]
2009 BMW K1300S  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
2007 325i  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
On thursday I get the newest update to mine MSD81.
It will be very interesting to try it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #3982
Kruz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4501 View Post
Sounds like Laurel?

I had mine done at Bill Jacobs in Naperville. Got a little initial questioning, but the service manager called BMW to confirm, and they performed it. I would think there would be no issues for anyone at Jacobs now that I paved the way there (I was the 1st one they did)
Good to know as this is my dealership
Summers: 235/40/18 265/35/18 Hankook Ventus V12 on VMR 701s
A/S: 225/40/18 255/35/18 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on OEM 162s
Appreciate 0