E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > Skateboarding

07-29-2021, 08:56 PM   #1
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Skateboarding

Does anyone here skateboard?

I haven't touched a board for 20 years but recently got back into it and been having a lot of fun... granted I am kind of old for this activity but i have been getting super bored of my other activity which is running.

Any fun tricks anyone can do?
      07-29-2021, 09:30 PM   #2
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

Just make sure you have those wrists and elbows protected. ... Maybe some cycling pants as well.
Appreciate 2
ASAP9969.50
      07-29-2021, 09:39 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I'm also (getting old) getting bored with running and thought about a skateboard.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 10:10 PM   #4
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I'm also (getting old) getting bored with running and thought about a skateboard.
I've learned its all about balance and coordination...decent workout too.

Trying to get basic riding down first.
      07-30-2021, 07:40 AM   #5
Skoidat69
Secret Squirrel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328ix E91

Garage List
2007 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
after stumbling across what "vintage" skateboards go for, I wish I had gotten my skateboards from my parent's garage before they moved to their condo... Vision Gator and a Powell Peralta Steve Caballero
      07-30-2021, 07:52 AM   #6
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

I just bought a board and protection for my 10 years old. Personally I don't want to put a foot on a board and break some bones.

This is a very cheap "sport" to get into, cheap gear, have fun and post some pictures.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 08:14 AM   #7
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

I was watching skateboarding on the olympics the other day.....kind of weird watching the competitor picking his playlist, bobbing his head and then executing his trick dude.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 08:28 AM   #8
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I was watching skateboarding on the olympics the other day.....kind of weird watching the competitor picking his playlist, bobbing his head and then executing his trick dude.
Yea it was a little funny... even wilder was that no one was wearing any protection

With that being said, I did think it was far more fun to watch than Gymnastics or Swimming (which I can only handle 1 round of).
      07-30-2021, 08:33 AM   #9
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I just gave my old skateboard to a friend for her son since he is getting into skateboarding and she didnt want to spend the big bucks on a nice setup.

When i pulled it out, i jumped on it and immediately ate shit lol

I was able to still do a kickflip and a heelflip though so that was pretty cool. Been probably 10-15 years since ive been on a skateboard.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      07-30-2021, 08:34 AM   #10
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Yea it was a little funny... even wilder was that no one was wearing any protection

With that being said, I did think it was far more fun to watch than Gymnastics or Swimming (which I can only handle 1 round of).
This dude definitely should have been wearing a cup.

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 08:49 AM   #11
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
This dude definitely should have been wearing a cup.

Oh yea... i saw that... Somehow he got up and was still able to run all of his runs.
      07-30-2021, 09:01 AM   #12
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Does anyone here skateboard?

I haven't touched a board for 20 years but recently got back into it and been having a lot of fun... granted I am kind of old for this activity but i have been getting super bored of my other activity which is running.

Any fun tricks anyone can do?
Not anymore. My eldest son decided he wanted to learn how to skate around 10-12 years ago. For his birthday I got him an element board, indy trucks and I forget what urethane's I put on it. Taught him the basics, and of course in between me showing him foot placement/balance, I bust out a few ollies, kick-flips, pop shove-it's etc. He was amazed that his dad could do this stuff. Fast forward a few weeks, we were having a small skate session, which resulted in me landing on the back of my head. I was concuss and was out most of the remainder of the weekend. And that was the last time I stepped foot on a skateboard.

When I was younger, I remember going to several skateparks to watch some pro's. I remember seeing Bod Boyle and Christian Hosoi, who skated for Santa Cruz at the time. Powell-Peralta did a tour when I was younger and got to see Steve Caballero, Bucky Lasek (I think he was 13 at the time), Frankie Hill and Mike McGill. Tony Hawk was supposed to have been there, but missed due to an injury. Seems like I remember seeing an H-Street crew demo around the time that Shackle Me Not was released.

I truly enjoyed skating and the life-style back then, but now....that concrete feels much different after a face plant. My right knee is still trashed to this day, from the damage taken over the years of driving it into concrete and wooden ramps.
Appreciate 1
ASAP9969.50
      07-30-2021, 09:20 AM   #13
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Not anymore. My eldest son decided he wanted to learn how to skate around 10-12 years ago. For his birthday I got him an element board, indy trucks and I forget what urethane's I put on it. Taught him the basics, and of course in between me showing him foot placement/balance, I bust out a few ollies, kick-flips, pop shove-it's etc. He was amazed that his dad could do this stuff. Fast forward a few weeks, we were having a small skate session, which resulted in me landing on the back of my head. I was concuss and was out most of the remainder of the weekend. And that was the last time I stepped foot on a skateboard.

When I was younger, I remember going to several skateparks to watch some pro's. I remember seeing Bod Boyle and Christian Hosoi, who skated for Santa Cruz at the time. Powell-Peralta did a tour when I was younger and got to see Steve Caballero, Bucky Lasek (I think he was 13 at the time), Frankie Hill and Mike McGill. Tony Hawk was supposed to have been there, but missed due to an injury. Seems like I remember seeing an H-Street crew demo around the time that Shackle Me Not was released.

I truly enjoyed skating and the life-style back then, but now....that concrete feels much different after a face plant. My right knee is still trashed to this day, from the damage taken over the years of driving it into concrete and wooden ramps.
yeah, as i got older, i realized that all these injuries i was piling up from skating/snowboarding were starting to feel worse and worse. havent done either after my last big crash snowboarding 12 years ago. Something about waking up at the bottom of the landing ramp, blood everywhere and not knowing where you are that changes you

Appreciate 2
ASAP9969.50
King Rudi13147.00
      07-30-2021, 09:31 AM   #14
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
yeah, as i got older, i realized that all these injuries i was piling up from skating/snowboarding were starting to feel worse and worse. havent done either after my last big crash snowboarding 12 years ago. Something about waking up at the bottom of the landing ramp, blood everywhere and not knowing where you are that changes you
This. Exactly this.

The sound of constant roar of urethane against concrete and wood is soothing to me. The flow and the constant manipulation of your body, balance, timing, etc. just seemed so effortless that many years ago. At 44, I struggle to take a drink and not spill it down my chest. Making hard contact with the ground at speed seemed much softer 30 years ago.
Appreciate 2
ASAP9969.50
      08-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #15
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I quit running 10 years ago so I didn't wear out my knees. Distance cycling is a great way to kill a few hours. If I'm in the city I ride 40-60 miles a week and if I'm in the mountains it's the mountain bike. Although, less single-tracking and mountain downhilling and more trail/bike path riding. Less danger to the collar bones and arms. It's hell getting old... and wise (er).
Appreciate 1
overcoil3066.50
      08-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #16
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

The last time I was on a skateboard was around 8 years ago with my ex-girlfriend's son who was about 14 at the time. He bought a board so I got one with him. I was big into skating all through high school and my first couple of years in college. I used to skate with a guy who claimed to be Rodney Mullen's cousin. He was really, really good and had some Mullen-esque qualities about him, so I'll go with it. When my college roommate flunked out I built a small quarter pipe in my dorm room.

I was able to land my usual bag of tricks with my ex's kid; kickflips, heelflips, fakie 180 kickflips. I couldn't quite get my 360 kickflips to go so I settled for some varial kickflips. I went back a few times with him but my knees are pretty shot so I had to give it up for good.

Cool thread!
Appreciate 2
ASAP9969.50
King Rudi13147.00
      08-01-2021, 06:49 PM   #17
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
The last time I was on a skateboard was around 8 years ago with my ex-girlfriend's son who was about 14 at the time. He bought a board so I got one with him. I was big into skating all through high school and my first couple of years in college. I used to skate with a guy who claimed to be Rodney Mullen's cousin. He was really, really good and had some Mullen-esque qualities about him, so I'll go with it. When my college roommate flunked out I built a small quarter pipe in my dorm room.

I was able to land my usual bag of tricks with my ex's kid; kickflips, heelflips, fakie 180 kickflips. I couldn't quite get my 360 kickflips to go so I settled for some varial kickflips. I went back a few times with him but my knees are pretty shot so I had to give it up for good.

Cool thread!
Sounds like you were way more advanced than me... I am still perfecting my ollies. Having a hard time gettingn it up high
      09-23-2021, 12:00 PM   #18
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
A skateboarding thread, nice. I'm in my 40's but i skate around. I don't do handrails or stairs anymore as i've got mouths to feed but i can do your kickflips and other tricks ok.
Appreciate 1
ASAP9969.50
      11-30-2021, 05:28 PM   #19
JonnyB1973
Registered
Rep
Drives: E39, F10

I was a skateboarder 20+ yrs ago, my lady's son wanted to take his bike to the skatepark, so naturally I took my board. The following 2 times the full suspension mountain bike breaking derailer hangers both times lol, then I bought a used BMX (never rode like that before) and was able to keep pace with the 13yro! I pushed him quite a bit, then his buddies bike was a POS so I let him use mine and I was back on the board! it was fun just rolling around and pumping the mini-ramps with the occasional lip action, but I will admit, I was a tad worried about falling on that concrete, gonna be slow to get back up! haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 05:36 PM   #20
JonnyB1973
Registered
Rep
Drives: E39, F10

Oh and here is a good laugh.

Him and his buddies were making ramps and jumping in the street before I got that BMX. So months later when I brought my own home, naturally I was hitting the sweet jumps too! (and playing in their bunny hop over this competition) 3rd go at the ramp I turned around to pedal hard towards the ramp, chain snapped! I went head first over the bars hitting the bars just above my pelvis leaving a rowdy bruise and knot, jammed thumb from the pavement, and road rash on my shoulder. I landed half on the curb starring straight down a storm drain.

I eventually got up after him making sure I was alive then laughing himself into tears...I hobbled the bike up to the house and tossed it right in the recycling bin and shut the lid for effect. HaHa. (obviously we got it out and kept it)

Being older and hanging with the teenagers is so darn fun.
Appreciate 0