E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Retrofitted: Fully electric leather heated seats with memory

04-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Retrofitted: Fully electric leather heated seats with memory

My car had cloth seats. Retrofitting leather seats was on my list and finally a pair came to my local breaker. The only problem was that it was fully electric and heated with memory.

Fitting that to a car which had manual seats was a challenge and I love challenges. Google search revealed that it is possible, however most of the members had some sort of wirings already in their seats. They had to just add K-Can wiring.

Well I bought the seats and started working on it. The parts and the new wirings only cost around £75 which was at the top of the expenses for the leather seats.

So, when it comes to fitting these seats, I had to strip the car including the central arm rest. Stripping that, laying new wires and making sure things worked, took me good 8 hours. I made sure that everything was done properly and no shortcuts!

A photo for reference (Guess what is in the photo)

Next comes coding, which took about 1.5 -2 hours and finally I am happy to say that I have retrofitted full electric heated seats with memory. Everything works and now car is even more pleasure to drive.
      04-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Nice one mate, will do this to mine eventually.
      04-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Awesome man, made it sound so easy!
      04-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

I presume you had to run wirings up and down behind the dash/new switches which can be a labour intensive job in itself

looking good, if you dont mind me asking is the coding part of this quite intesive as you have sid 1.5hours+
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68 View Post
Nice one mate, will do this to mine eventually.
Sparky
There was full electric seats with memory in classified section. OP thought he could not fit so the price was bargain. Worth of checking with him if its still available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
Awesome man, made it sound so easy!
Cheers mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
I presume you had to run wirings up and down behind the dash/new switches which can be a labour intensive job in itself

looking good, if you dont mind me asking is the coding part of this quite intesive as you have sid 1.5hours+
There is already a socket for heating switch on the back of climate control which saves all the hassle of running new wires from there on.
So a heating seat switch and a new panel to accommodate the heating switch is required.

The real job is to run new wiring from the seats to fuse box + junction box. Also one should be able to understand the difference b/w seat module and heating module and how they work which is the key to successful retrofit.

BMW makes heating retrofit kit, but that does not include any wires for the electrical seats, therefore I had to make complete wiring kit myself. Hence it took many hours.

Re: coding, if my car was not coded with all the options, then coding is about 45 max. Since my car is coded for nearly all the options available so modifying + adding heating / electrical / memory / sports seats to modules and re-code them made the job bit difficult.

But its worth of all that hassle!
      04-29-2013, 04:50 AM   #6
hmpmarketing
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: E93

Awesome work. My car also had cloth seats and I purchased a set of red leather ones off ebay, my friend helped me installing them. They are memory seats too however I didnt know they had the "heat module" or whatever you call it until Don came to retrofit a CIC unit into my car. He looked under the seats and told me they were heated. I asked him what was needed to get them to work and he told me some wiring and the heat control thingy that goes on the dash.

How hard is it to get this done when the seats are already in place? And what wiring is needed? I asked if he could do the work but hes such a busy guy!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 05:39 AM   #7
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmpmarketing View Post
Awesome work. My car also had cloth seats and I purchased a set of red leather ones off ebay, my friend helped me installing them. They are memory seats too however I didnt know they had the "heat module" or whatever you call it until Don came to retrofit a CIC unit into my car. He looked under the seats and told me they were heated. I asked him what was needed to get them to work and he told me some wiring and the heat control thingy that goes on the dash.

How hard is it to get this done when the seats are already in place? And what wiring is needed? I asked if he could do the work but hes such a busy guy!
Few Questions;
1- Is it E90 / 92?
2- Is your memory working (I assume that they are fully electric)?
3- Can you take the photos of the boxes under driver and passenger seat and I will be able to comment?

You will require heating switch button (£20-30 on fleabay) and panel which accomodate those switches.

Plus running new wiring and coding, if thats not been done.
      04-29-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
hmpmarketing
BMW Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Few Questions;
1- Is it E90 / 92?
2- Is your memory working (I assume that they are fully electric)?
3- Can you take the photos of the boxes under driver and passenger seat and I will be able to comment?

You will require heating switch button (£20-30 on fleabay) and panel which accomodate those switches.

Plus running new wiring and coding, if thats not been done.
Thanks makkan for your reply.

1 - E93
2 - I think they do work, when u either press 1/2 button seat does change position

3 - Pic attached

Is the wiring available to purchase from bmw or custom made?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #9
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry the picture is not very clear.
Is that driver side?

Can you take clear photos in proper light (use a torch) and PM me? It should give me some idea of wirings.

Were your cloth seats manual or motor operated?
      04-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
hmpmarketing
BMW Fan
Rep

PM Sent :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #11
G-10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d M sport

Hi makkan, csn you tell me if these seats are heated.
Drivers

Passenger

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

^^^
Non heating seats.
      06-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
chargingbear
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 330D

a little of topic but how do you know if you have heated seats or not. Is it the yellow box?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargingbear View Post
a little of topic but how do you know if you have heated seats or not. Is it the yellow box?
The big box in the photo above is a seat module. It can be used to code the heating + heating network added.

However there is a heating module as well. As in the photo above, heating / seating module is missing on the passenger side, therefore it non-heating.

It may not make sense to you but BMW has two options
1- Seat module
2- Heating module

If both seats have seat modules (E93 usually), then it has heating.
If driver seat has seat module and passenger side has heating module, it has heating.
If driver side has seat module and nothing on the passenger side, they are without heating (example above).
      06-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
chargingbear
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 330D

cool thanks for the info. Both my seats have these modules to the underside so I guess my retrofit seats may be heated?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=181117738317
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargingbear
cool thanks for the info. Both my seats have these modules to the underside so I guess my retrofit seats may be heated?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=181117738317
Yes they are mate.
Bmw make retrofit cables for heated seats.
Get that, fit it and then its a matter of coding.
      06-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
G-10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d M sport

Can you answer some question for me please makken
I'm going to be fitting the seats to my car the new seats have electric with memory. With the bolster support. My car is basic standard seats from a SE.

1)I'm going to use pin 4 and pin 13 for power and earth on each seat.
2)On the drivers seat I'm going to use the idrive knob for the k can h and k can l. Do I splice the wires on the knob and solder my new wires to it.
3) which fuses did you use to connect the positive and negative on the fuse board
4) did you Join the two seat + wires like a Y so there's only 1 wire for each seat connected to the fuse board and same with earth.
5) which earth point did you use.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-10 View Post
Can you answer some question for me please makken
I'm going to be fitting the seats to my car the new seats have electric with memory. With the bolster support. My car is basic standard seats from a SE.

1)I'm going to use pin 4 and pin 13 for power and earth on each seat.
2)On the drivers seat I'm going to use the idrive knob for the k can h and k can l. Do I splice the wires on the knob and solder my new wires to it.
3) which fuses did you use to connect the positive and negative on the fuse board
4) did you Join the two seat + wires like a Y so there's only 1 wire for each seat connected to the fuse board and same with earth.
5) which earth point did you use.
Thanks
1- what is the question for that? Basically you run the new wires for those pins which are missing on your current harness. If pin 4 and 13 only are missing, then you need those only.
2- use the connectors without splicing the wires.
3- I used OEM fuses.
4- yes.
5- OEM one behind the driver and passenger footwell module.
      06-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Very impressive DIY, looking forward to seeing more custom work!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #20
Andreye90
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 320i

Hi I want to retrofit some sport electric and heat seats on my bmw e90 i have my electric seats. And I want to use my old cables. For the new sport heated seats. Can'I? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #21
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreye90 View Post
Hi I want to retrofit some sport electric and heat seats on my bmw e90 i have my electric seats. And I want to use my old cables. For the new sport heated seats. Can'I? Thanks
Yes, you can.
You may have to bridge few wires and run few wires to different modules depending on the specs of your car and specs of the new seats.
      11-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #22
Andreye90
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 320i

Thanks

Thanks makkan00 do you know any one ho can make me the cables? Thanks
Appreciate 0