Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter Driving and Tires - 335is

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-03-2019, 05:53 AM   #1
d99
Rep
Drives: 2012 335IS

Winter Driving and Tires - 335is

Hi all,

I have a 335is with m3 replicas on 225/40/18 winters (Hankook winter icept evo).

The car is absolutely terrible in the snow and ice. I checked the tires, they seem to have a fair amount of tread, maybe good for another season or two (60-70%). As I was at my local bmw shop, I had them double check the tires and was told they’re fine and that new tires won’t help my winter situation, as the car is just not built to handle well in the winter.

As I’m searching around the forum here, it seems like other 335/335is/m3 owners have the opposite response and I see a lot of positive feedback around here winter driving this type of car. I’m on the fence right now, as I’m searching for a new winter car, I might just take the much smaller risk with trying new tires first, bc it could just very well be the tires.

Sorry for the long backstory...I also searched for recommended tires and see quite a few brands mentioned, none were Hankooks. The one problem I’m noticing is trying to find a matching size 225/40/18. I have found much more avail at 225/45/18. Would the thicker sidewalk cause more issues, just due to the M suspension and lower profile setting of my car, I assume more snow and ice will get stuck on the wheel wells. But maybe the thicker sidewalk is even better for the snow, not sure. That’s ultimately my question, what is the best tire I can fit on to my existing rims which is optimal for winter driving? If anyone has any opinions also on the backstory, I’m all ears at this point

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:39 AM   #2
drmdvl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i, 2015 Macan Turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by d99 View Post
Hi all,

I have a 335is with m3 replicas on 225/40/18 winters (Hankook winter icept evo).

The car is absolutely terrible in the snow and ice. I checked the tires, they seem to have a fair amount of tread, maybe good for another season or two (60-70%). As I was at my local bmw shop, I had them double check the tires and was told they’re fine and that new tires won’t help my winter situation, as the car is just not built to handle well in the winter.

As I’m searching around the forum here, it seems like other 335/335is/m3 owners have the opposite response and I see a lot of positive feedback around here winter driving this type of car. I’m on the fence right now, as I’m searching for a new winter car, I might just take the much smaller risk with trying new tires first, bc it could just very well be the tires.

Sorry for the long backstory...I also searched for recommended tires and see quite a few brands mentioned, none were Hankooks. The one problem I’m noticing is trying to find a matching size 225/40/18. I have found much more avail at 225/45/18. Would the thicker sidewalk cause more issues, just due to the M suspension and lower profile setting of my car, I assume more snow and ice will get stuck on the wheel wells. But maybe the thicker sidewalk is even better for the snow, not sure. That’s ultimately my question, what is the best tire I can fit on to my existing rims which is optimal for winter driving? If anyone has any opinions also on the backstory, I’m all ears at this point

Thanks
I assume you are running a square tire setup with 225/40/18 all around so you do have some room to change tire size since your rolling diameter will match, you'll just need to check clearance - the diff between 225/40 and 225/45 is only 11mm. If you are running stock staggered 225 and 255, I would recommend going square for winter. Yes, a taller sidewall is better in deeper snow. Also, your narrower tire width is better than a wide tire.

Couple questions - what snow and ice performance issues / conditions are you having?
-poor traction and acceleration from a stop?
-traction loss in the front when applying steering angle or breaking loose in the rear?
-poor braking?
-problems occurring in deep snow, snow pack, just ice, wet, slush?
-sounds like max snow and ice performance is a higher priority over dry and wet handing?

With just a few minutes in google, it appears there was an evo model and an evo 2 model for your tire - if you are on evo 1, its approaching 10 year old tire technology which is pretty outdated. The reviews were all over the board from great to awful.

Couple things you can do in the meantime - make sure your tires are appropriately inflated. Unlike maximizing contact patch by under-inflating in the summer or on the drag strip, you want to fill to the correct PSI and slightly on the higher side of normal for your ice and snow tires - this will encourage the siping to open up as the tire rotates and expel snow and slush. You can also stop by your local hardware store and pick up a couple 60# sand bags to throw in the trunk over your rear axel to improve rear traction.

I think starting with different tires is totally reasonable over looking for another vehicle.
Couple of my favorites avail in your size for best snow and ice traction -
Blizzak WS80 and now WS90
Michelin XIce 3
my personal fav - Nokian Hakkapellita R3s
You could also consider a studded tire like the Nokian Hakka 8s.

Stay safe!
d991.50
      12-03-2019, 07:00 AM   #3
d99
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmdvl View Post
I assume you are running a square tire setup with 225/40/18 all around so you do have some room to change tire size since your rolling diameter will match, you'll just need to check clearance - the diff between 225/40 and 225/45 is only 11mm. If you are running stock staggered 225 and 255, I would recommend going square for winter. Yes, a taller sidewall is better in deeper snow. Also, your narrower tire width is better than a wide tire.

Couple questions - what snow and ice performance issues / conditions are you having?
-traction loss in the front when applying steering angle or breaking loose in the rear?
-poor braking?
-sounds like max snow and ice performance is a higher priority over dry and wet handing?

With just a few minutes in google, it appears there was an evo model and an evo 2 model for your tire - if you are on evo 1, its approaching 10 year old tire technology which is pretty outdated. The reviews were all over the board from great to awful.

Couple things you can do in the meantime - make sure your tires are appropriately inflated. Unlike maximizing contact patch by under-inflating in the summer or on the drag strip, you want to fill to the correct PSI and slightly on the higher side of normal for your ice and snow tires - this will encourage the siping to open up as the tire rotates and expel snow and slush. You can also stop by your local hardware store and pick up a couple 60# sand bags to throw in the trunk over your rear axel to improve rear traction.

I think starting with different tires is totally reasonable over looking for another vehicle.
Michelin XIce 3

Stay safe!
I appreciate such a detailed response!

Yes, they're square set up, 225/40/18.

As for your questions about the issues I'm having, I would have to say all of the above applies to my current situation. When the roads are covered in snow, I can only slowly downshift to a slow stop, as breaking will let the car slide. It cannot even climb a slightly elevated hills without struggling. Even reversing in to my slightly raised driveway takes 3-4 attempts from the street at higher speeds, or the rear wheels will just spin and not move on the driveway. Highway driving covered in snow, forget it, I usually have to pull the right and do around 30km/hr (18miles/hr) I'm in Toronto, the second I slightly hit the gas to accelerate, I feel the rear end losing control.

I also read the same reviews about these tires (it's not the Evo 2), they're DOT dated 2013. The reviews are all over the place.

I appreciate those tips and will look in to those immediately. I think at the same time, I'm going to consider a brand new set of winter tires. There's a few good deals right now in my area on the X-Ice Xi-3 and the Blizzak WS80s.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:29 AM   #4
drmdvl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i, 2015 Macan Turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmdvl View Post

-poor braking?

Michelin XIce 3

Stay safe!
I appreciate such a detailed response!

Yes, they're square set up, 225/40/18.

As for your questions about the issues I'm having, I would have to say all of the above applies to my current situation. When the roads are covered in snow, I can only slowly downshift to a slow stop, as breaking will let the car slide. It cannot even climb a slightly elevated hills without struggling. Even reversing in to my slightly raised driveway takes 3-4 attempts from the street at higher speeds, or the rear wheels will just spin and not move on the driveway. Highway driving covered in snow, forget it, I usually have to pull the right and do around 30km/hr (18miles/hr) I'm in Toronto, the second I slightly hit the gas to accelerate, I feel the rear end losing control.

I also read the same reviews about these tires (it's not the Evo 2), they're DOT dated 2013. The reviews are all over the place.

I appreciate those tips and will look in to those immediately. I think at the same time, I'm going to consider a brand new set of winter tires. There's a few good deals right now in my area on the X-Ice Xi-3 and the Blizzak WS80s.
Glad to help and I think if your having just all out poor performance with your current tires, you will be very happy with those Blizzaks or Michelins. With bad tires even a 4WD would equal 4 wheel slide!
One thing to think about with Blizzaks and most winter tires - the multicell tread compound is worn at about 50% tread wear turning your tires into essentially an all season - even Bridgestone recommends not remounting your Blizzaks after 15k miles or 3-4K miles per winter year / 4 years.
Nokians are designed to provide max snow and ice traction to wear indicators - they are the original snow tire, so lots of R&D history there. Not that I'm biased!
      12-03-2019, 07:33 AM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
I would avoid those tires, they wear quickly and once they do wear down their performance becomes less good. The Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 is what I would get if you are buying new. On a RWD you really don't want compromises and just get all out with the best tire you can get imo.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      12-03-2019, 10:43 AM   #6
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks
Have you gotten an alignment since putting on your winter wheels? Or is the setup vastly different from your summer wheels? I'm having an issue with my Blizzaks not even in the snow yet, it was just cold and wet but my traction control was going off like crazy when accelerating from a stop and I'm on a slight incline. My theory is that my alignment/camber is way off. Maybe yours is too? I would imagine we need as square of a setup as possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 11:44 AM   #7
d99
Rep

Thanks everyone again, I've definitely heard of the Nokians mentioned quite a few times and will look in to those. I see someone selling slightly used Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9s, which seem even better than the 3, maybe I'll consider them.

nissubaru, I actually didn't do an alignment. My summer wheels are the OEM M rims (19s, staggered).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks everyone again, I've definitely heard of the Nokians mentioned quite a few times and will look in to those. I see someone selling slightly used Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9s, which seem even better than the 3, maybe I'll consider them.

nissubaru, I actually didn't do an alignment. My summer wheels are the OEM M rims (19s, staggered).
The Nokian 9s are more for SUVs I think.

As for alignement subject, I don't do one either and most of time my car does have a hard time to apply all the power the car has. I never really put my pedal more than halfway when roads are not fully clean or else traction goes. Also I raise my car coilovers in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 03:43 AM   #9
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: e92 335iA

Garage List
Summer set up was fine? No gas-steering, no play anywhere? I would get an alignment done plus get a set of non-RFT new winter tires, it makes a day/night change... I prefer Michelin Alpin, Nokia Hakapelita, Pirelli Sottozero...
      12-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #10
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Just bought another set of snows. Blizzak WS90s off tirerack.

Originally ordered nokian hakkapeliitta R3s from discount.tire.direct but they messed up the order. After being on hold for 45min on two occasions, I gave up and cancelled it.

Anyone have a good source of where to buy Nokians in the future?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 07:20 AM   #11
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy138 View Post
Anyone have a good source of where to buy Nokians in the future?
I bought mine from a local redistributor that I found on Nokian's website.

Surprisingly total it was like 150$ cheaper htan Blizzaks WS90s from Costco.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 07:24 AM   #12
d99
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
The Nokian 9s are more for SUVs I think.

As for alignement subject, I don't do one either and most of time my car does have a hard time to apply all the power the car has. I never really put my pedal more than halfway when roads are not fully clean or else traction goes. Also I raise my car coilovers in the winter.
I checked the site, along with some reviews, and it looks like they're also for passenger cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetpro View Post
Summer set up was fine? No gas-steering, no play anywhere? I would get an alignment done plus get a set of non-RFT new winter tires, it makes a day/night change... I prefer Michelin Alpin, Nokia Hakapelita, Pirelli Sottozero...
Absolutely no issues with my summer set up in all areas with handling, cornering, pulling, etc.

So I found a set of almost new Nokian Hakkapeliittas (2 yrs old) for a pretty good deal, and they look to be in great condition. But they are marked as 9s, not the R3. The 9s are supposed to be studded, according to the manufacturers spec pages, but in the pictures, it looks like there are holes for the studs, but no studs in there. I have no experience with studded tires...are the studs extra or added by the tire shop? I assumed they come studded from the factory. See attached for reference.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 07:32 AM   #13
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I checked the site, along with some reviews, and it looks like they're also for passenger cars

Absolutely no issues with my summer set up in all areas with handling, cornering, pulling, etc.

So I found a set of almost new Nokian Hakkapeliittas (2 yrs old) for a pretty good deal, and they look to be in great condition. But they are marked as 9s, not the R3. The 9s are supposed to be studded, according to the manufacturers spec pages, but in the pictures, it looks like there are holes for the studs, but no studs in there. I have no experience with studded tires...are the studs extra or added by the tire shop? I assumed they come studded from the factory. See attached for reference.

Thanks
Oh you're right, I think there is 2 different subgroups or tires, a SUV version and a non SUV.

As for the studs lol that's funny. I'm not sure I thought you bought the tires studded from Nokian directly. Did you ask the seller where the studs are?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 12:48 PM   #14
d99
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Oh you're right, I think there is 2 different subgroups or tires, a SUV version and a non SUV.

As for the studs lol that's funny. I'm not sure I thought you bought the tires studded from Nokian directly. Did you ask the seller where the studs are?
I did, he apparently has no idea where they are.

Last edited by d99; 12-04-2019 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #15
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Don't run studded tires in TO man, you'll hate your life. Studs are for 100% ice/snow covered roads up north. Studs + concrete/asphalt will destroy the studs and roads pretty quickly. The few winters I ran my E90 RWD 330i I had some pretty budget tires. First year where Salium Ice Blazers and then the Hankook i-pikes, both tires weren't great but NO WHERE near as bad as you're making it out to be. I'd drive my car all over Ontario all year round and unless it was more than 12" of fresh snow. If not I wouldn't think twice about taking it out. I understand that you have more power but the traction control will limit power anyways so it should be a moot point. A part of me thinks the issue is what you expect out of these tires. No disrespect but is this the first time you've winter driven with a dedicated winter set? A part of me feels like what you expect is WAY higher than what the reality is of winter driving, thus the frustration.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #16
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Also this might seem obvious but press that DTC button when trying to climb your way up a hill. Fully on can be useless in the snow.

I've seen some YouTube videos of people doing this.

Also I look forward to the sliding when snow comes. Granted I'm forcing the sliding and it's easily controllable.
I run Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 07:36 PM   #17
Canadiesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D, 1999 BMW M3

Studs should only be installed on brand new un-used tires. If theyve been mounted and run for any period of time then you're stuck with that.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #18
d99
Rep

Just a little updated. I found a really good deal on a set of Blizzak WS80s. I researched on the forum and there's been nothing but positive feedback on the WS80s. I just couldn't find a set of Nokians which wouldn't take forever to order them in, but I will consider them again in the future.

It also came down yesterday and I immediately had the opportunity to test them out in the snow and what a world of a difference. The car feels a lot better now, my anxiety is a little reduced now with these tires.
I'm glad I came to the forum for alternative feedback because I was literally thinking about buying a winter beater, but I feel a lot more confident getting through the winter with my 335is.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #19
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Just a little updated. I found a really good deal on a set of Blizzak WS80s. I researched on the forum and there's been nothing but positive feedback on the WS80s. I just couldn't find a set of Nokians which wouldn't take forever to order them in, but I will consider them again in the future.

It also came down yesterday and I immediately had the opportunity to test them out in the snow and what a world of a difference. The car feels a lot better now, my anxiety is a little reduced now with these tires.
I'm glad I came to the forum for alternative feedback because I was literally thinking about buying a winter beater, but I feel a lot more confident getting through the winter with my 335is.

Thanks all!
They are still a very good tire, just not as good as the Nokians and will last less and usually after 7/32 thread they become less good.
Appreciate 1
Volasko708.00
      12-10-2019, 04:56 AM   #20
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: e92 335iA

Garage List
Studs are fun at night, a lot of sparks :-) I don't know about TO bud here are illegal as they damage surface of roads...
Tyre as such can be run with or without, it is just more noisy compared to non-stud-option tyre (I assume cause of the extra holes for studs).
      12-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #21
bimmerzeit
Private
Rep
Drives: E28, E39, E90

I have pirelli winters on my 335i (have to mount them this weekend) and just got a set of point s winter star tires for $50 each new for my e39! Made in Germany.

Apparently the brand is owned by Continental; they look identical to the General Altimax winter tire also made in Germany. Maybe look out for those in e9X sizing!

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #22
miker2013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 6mt Msport coupe

everyone reading this thread do yourselves a favor and get the hakka r3 and do not skimp on cheaper snow tires, especially if you live in canada east coast or quebec/ontario

best snow tires hands down, no compromises made on them at all
Appreciate 0