E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Anyone running the Helix HPFP Overdrive

12-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #23
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E92

This is what happens if you don't replace yours right away they are prone to crack pretty fast. I advise others to do so don't wait until it cracks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
type-dRew640.00
houtan701.00
      12-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #24
tyson413
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 135I

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson413 View Post
I know a shop that designed a bracket to hold HPFP with overdrive pump. Their Instagram page @gdoautomotive
Here is that bracket picture
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
feuer4274.50
houtan701.00
      12-10-2019, 08:36 PM   #25
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Another pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
feuer4274.50
houtan701.00
      12-10-2019, 10:57 PM   #26
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
The bracket doesn't seem like it will do much. Putting pressure downwardly doesn't seem like enough to prevent massive centrifugal torque from the HOD. Also it's seeming like the HOD hardware needs to be high speed balanced like aftermarket turbos.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 3
houtan701.00
feuer4274.50
      12-11-2019, 06:15 AM   #27
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'm going to be getting my car back some time tonight after having the spool overdrive, billet vacuum cover and precision raceworks fuel pressure regulator installed. Now I'm curious to see if I'm going to suffer the same fate as what was mentioned in this thread.
Appreciate 2
houtan701.00
      12-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #28
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingpanda View Post
I'm going to be getting my car back some time tonight after having the spool overdrive, billet vacuum cover and precision raceworks fuel pressure regulator installed. Now I'm curious to see if I'm going to suffer the same fate as what was mentioned in this thread.
We hope you don't suffer the same fate either. Please keep us posted on your results.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #29
tyson413
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
The bracket doesn't seem like it will do much. Putting pressure downwardly doesn't seem like enough to prevent massive centrifugal torque from the HOD. Also it's seeming like the HOD hardware needs to be high speed balanced like aftermarket turbos.
It's not putting pressure down. It actually mounts to HPFP and just holds it in place so it wouldn't vibrate.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #30
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
It's not putting pressure down. It actually mounts to HPFP and just holds it in place so it wouldn't vibrate.
Ok that's good news. I reached out to GDO and they mentioned they are working on one for the N55 so you N54 guys have a possible solution to this cracked housing. TBD

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #31
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

My buddy got a reply back from spool, they're sending him a prototype bracket that they've designed.

They also said

We did some simulation on our end and it seems bolting the assembly onto the block prevents any kind of torquing or canterlever stress issues.

We did some failure analysis and seems like gyroscopic forces generated from the 4x was cracking the vac plates that probably had some imperfections from factory casting process.

We’re developing a bracket to solve this as we speak. This is the first time we’ve seen a 3x crack a vac pump. We’ve had two testers of the 4x with the issue recently.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
nyt127.50
houtan701.00
      12-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #32
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
My buddy got a reply back from spool, they're sending him a prototype bracket that they've designed.

They also said

We did some simulation on our end and it seems bolting the assembly onto the block prevents any kind of torquing or canterlever stress issues.

We did some failure analysis and seems like gyroscopic forces generated from the 4x was cracking the vac plates that probably had some imperfections from factory casting process.

We’re developing a bracket to solve this as we speak. This is the first time we’ve seen a 3x crack a vac pump. We’ve had two testers of the 4x with the issue recently.
Excellent news thank you for the insight. Wasn't looking forward to VTT double barrel install

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 01:41 AM   #33
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post

They also said

We're developing a bracket to solve this as we speak. This is the first time we've seen a 3x crack a vac pump. We've had two testers of the 4x with the issue recently.
Excellent news thank you for the insight. Wasn't looking forward to VTT double barrel install
Yeah likewise that looks like a headache!

I'll be going helix in the new year sometime when hopefully the bracket is standard fare as part of the kit and they work out the hard line fuel line also.

Like most products there are initial development teething problems at least they're resolving these bugs with nicely redesigned parts!
Appreciate 3
      12-14-2019, 08:22 PM   #34
winjury
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 n55/ 2012 e70 n63

Quote:
There's another thread a video going around about the noise the helix od makes at idle. Are you experiencing loud metal clanking sounds at idle?
yup and that creator of said thread is me. lol. Its extremely annoying at idle. I was told by Spool (after i sent them a video) that it probably isnt an issue. However, he told me that if i wanted to replace it and try another one if Ken/Steven cant adjust it with tuning I can go this route at no cost. I am about to pull the trigger after the latest tune with them because it still isnt resolved.
The pros though are great- I run e85 all day everyday and I never have to go out of my way to save nearly $1.00 per gallon.
      12-20-2019, 08:47 PM   #35
tyson413
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This is post from a shop that made bracket to hold OD pump. They made one for my N55 and now I have 0 vibration from OD pump and it feels good. I think it's a great solution.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-21-2019, 02:08 AM   #36
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
This is post from a shop that made bracket to hold OD pump. They made one for my N55 and now I have 0 vibration from OD pump and it feels good. I think it's a great solution.
Does this bracket reduce the metal clanking noise i heard Helix OD makes? And does the noise happen on cold starts or at idle all the time?

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #37
tyson413
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Does this bracket reduce the metal clanking noise i heard Helix OD makes? And does the noise happen on cold starts or at idle all the time?
Most of the noice(chattering) is on the cold start,for like a minute. But my tuner is working on it and trying to fix it through the tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 07:42 AM   #38
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
How long have you had your bracket on? I just received the same one a few days ago but I won't be able to have it installed for like another week or so due to the holidays.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 08:53 AM   #39
tyson413
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingpanda View Post
Quote:
How long have you had your bracket on? I just received the same one a few days ago but I won't be able to have it installed for like another week or so due to the holidays.
I have it for a week. Before you install it just ask someone to rev the engine to like 3000-3200 rpm and place your hand on the OD pump and feel how much vibration it has. And after you install it do the same and feel the difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #40
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Most of the noice(chattering) is on the cold start,for like a minute. But my tuner is working on it and trying to fix it through the tune.
Keep us posted on the what's done in the tune to quite it down on cold start

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #41
tyson413
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Keep us posted on the what's done in the tune to quite it down on cold start
You got it.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #42
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Also for those running Helix 3 or 4x versions, let us know how your injectors hold up. There's another article on other forums going around that speaks on both VTT Shotgun and HOD setups and how they are pushing the injectors past their capabilities causing premature failure.
(Caveat: this is on the N54 with index 12 injectors)

The understanding is that our injectors were not meant to hold 3k psi. The mention about index 12 injectors is about the hardware having a high and a low mode but are not designed to sustain those kinds of presusures over a long period of time. That could be a very costly repair for both injectors and fuel pump.

The jury is still out so no conclusions yet.

If this is ends up being true maybe HOD should consider a 2x version (a more street-able application) or PI might have to be the answer for fueling again. However PI comes with its own set of risks too at a much higher entry price.

Appreciate 1
      12-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #43
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
If this is ends up being true maybe HOD should consider a 2x version (a more street-able application)
Yeah, a 2x would be cool for sure; should support up to ~600whp on a healthy blend of E, which is more than peeps typically run anyway.

Also, with respect to pressure...with the discovery of the metering valve tables, can't those be modified to only command ~2K psi of fuel as opposed to 3K+? That should easily quell injector concerns if that's the case.
Appreciate 2
feuer4274.50
      12-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #44
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:
Also for those running Helix 3 or 4x versions, let us know how your injectors hold up. There's another article on other forums going around that speaks on both VTT Shotgun and HOD setups and how they are pushing the injectors past their capabilities causing premature failure.
(Caveat: this is on the N54 with index 12 injectors)

The understanding is that our injectors were not meant to hold 3k psi. The mention about index 12 injectors is about the hardware having a high and a low mode but are not designed to sustain those kinds of presusures over a long period of time. That could be a very costly repair for both injectors and fuel pump.

The jury is still out so no conclusions yet.

If this is ends up being true maybe HOD should consider a 2x version (a more street-able application) or PI might have to be the answer for fueling again. However PI comes with its own set of risks too at a much higher entry price.
shotgun has been around quite a long time now and I haven't heard of injectors failing..

have personal experience with shotgun as well

I hope xdi or someone can release something for us. 100% e85 without mixing would be ideal. don't care for solutions that you still need to mix etc. At this point just go PI.
Appreciate 1