E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > e93 rear window not moving despite motor sounds?

10-19-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
Taipan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i e93

Question e93 rear window not moving despite motor sounds?

Hi All.

First time with the roof down today, all was well until I put it back up to go shopping and then back down again when I came out. As the windows were coming back up I heard a bang, or knock sound from the back and noticed the left hand back window was sitting half way up? Moved the switch up and down and i can hear the motor but the windows isn't moving? I managed to move it down enough to close the roof and then got it back up so its closed.

Anyone else had this or know what it could be?

Car is a 2007 e93 330i

TIA
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Sounds like a mechanical problem with the window lift mechanism.

Nothing for it but to strip out the trim and see what has broken or come adrift.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 06:26 AM   #3
Taipan
United Kingdom
Rep

It was indeed the regulator. A cable had snapped, but that was just the beginning of my troubles.

I got a 2nd hand OEM regulator of eBay and fitted it but now the window does not close fully? It s almost but not quite. You can sort of lift the back of the window up and pull it forward so its closer still, but its still not the same as the other side.

I've tried loosening the regulator and moving it about and even leaving it loose-ish and putting the window up and hoping it will guide itself in, but no. If i pull it as far as it will go and then tighten everything up, it still stops short again.

Will try resetting the window again at the weekend as rain stopped play the other day, but this is incredibly frustrating. Asked on the e90 Facebook page and a coupe of other guys have windows that don't fully close on their e93s but haven't been able to solve it. And no luck with an answer on US forums either. Anyone come across this before and know the solution?

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 04:15 AM   #4
Taipan
United Kingdom
Rep

Fixed it! �� The adjustment instructions specify you need a BMW speciall tool. Okay that may make it easier, but there is a simple way to do it. In short, the main adjustment is actually in the glass position. You simply slacken the two 8mm bolts and shift it around until you get the right position. A bit fiddly as you have to lift the regulator in and out each time, but far from being the end of the world. You obviously have to remove the three mounting bolts (2 x top, 1 x lower) and best to mark the upper twos position, so you can see where the regulator will be fixed and your glass adjustment will be made based on that. I've probably made it sound a lot more complicated than it is.

Adjusting bolts

Gap closed and window perfectly aligned.

Appreciate 0