E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Nurburgring times for a tuned car?

12-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #23
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsapphire7 View Post
i dont think it would help too much. the temperatures you would see on track would be pretty high such that u wouldnt gain much from adding a tune i bet.
I bet youre wrong, if enough cooling and ample air flow is added, why wouldnt you be able to maintain temps? Its not magic, its physics. Add a 2nd oil cooler...check, full bolt ons...check, tune...check.....wheels and tires...check(although if i were racing i would obviously get track tires). Now I need meth, upgraded single or twin turbo(s), all aluminum radiator, susp. and (stiffen chassis), brakes, lsd, and possibly a lower thermostat.

Should be enough to clock some great times at the track. Alpina B3 lux has done most of what i listed is why I wish he would chime in....i sent him a pm, i am interested in his times.
07' MT, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance LED Steering Wheel, HPF FMIC, AA BOV, HPF Exhaust, DCI, Procede V5, AR Stage 1 oil cooler, AR OCC, AR CL DP's, Vishnu Meth Kit, UUC SSK+DSSR, UUC Shift knob, (19 inch)VMR V715's/Yokohama Advan AD08's, Hartge Pedals and Floor Mats. Awaiting Install: M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, Full M3 suspension bits, AST 4100's, DSS axles. Future plans: Vishnu Single turbo kit
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #24
Funkmob
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 space grey

E92fan who is doing the engine rebuild has done alot of laps on the ring too.
335I AT 2007. Vishnu V5 / UR CAI / HPF Intercooler / ER Charge pipe / Synapse BOV / Macht Shnell dp's / Vanguard catless exhaust / BSH occ / Labonte S4 Meth injection / Quiafe LSD / Full M3 suspension parts / Bilstein PSS10 / EBC brakes and lines / RB turbo's
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #25
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkmob View Post
These are the specs
...Tires: Michelin pilot Sport Cup R tires
You guys do realize, that having R comps vs. run-flats is going to net about 20 second's worth of time on the 'Ring, right? R comps means in every single corner you will be carrying MORE speed therefore more speed down the straights and getting to that speed FASTER (if you're not limited).

That means, in every single one of the 100+ corners at the 'Ring the E46 M3 with the R Comps will be significantly faster in every single one of them. Every. SINGLE. ONE.

Frankly, those of you obsessed with how much faster a 335i with tune will be on the 'Ring? You can add another 200 HP to the 335i, it still won't be as fast as say, just slapping on a set of R Comps.

That and none of you will ever get to hit that anyway.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #26
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn999 View Post
Alpina B3 lux is the only one I know with extensive mods and has tracked the ring a few times. I will pm him and see if he has a time.
I don't, for various reasons.

First, I'm not a good enough driver to be any measure of how fast a modded 335i could go; as already indicated, E92Fan would be a much more appropriate candidate. I've only done close to a hundred laps, others have done thousands.

Second, I don't drive there to be faster than anyone else, as with such a difficult circuit that is the best recipe to end up crashing your car; that is also the attitude of the majority of people I go there with.

Thirdly, I've done a fair number of mods to the car that are far more important to how fast a car is around the track than just more power, such as coilovers, M3 suspension, LSD, brake upgrades etc.

Fourthly, during "normal" times (i.e. Touristenfahrten on the Ring) you can't go for a good time even if you wanted to as there's too much traffic, and you can't drive through Döttinger Höhe so you won't know the times anyway.

Also, and as always indicated, tires play a huge role in lap times, and I'm - currently - driving normal road tires.

Anyway, under the assumption of a similar suspension, brakes, LSD and more hp and torque than an M3, a capable driver could probably shave off quite some time of these times. Even more with upgraded turbos of course.

But that's really a moot discussion IMO.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      12-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #27
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkmob View Post
E92fan who is doing the engine rebuild has done alot of laps on the ring too.
A passenger timed me driving a BTG Touristenfahrten lap of the 'Ring in my tuned 335i at 7m 31secs, with traffic. Add on another 27secs or so for a full lap and it'll be a few seconds under 8 minutes.

Car was with Procede V4, upgraded turbos, full engine bolt-ons, Ohlins suspension, AP brakes with PFC discs and Pagid RS29 pads, Michelin Pilot Cups.

Lose the passenger and I'll probably gain about six seconds.

(I have done a few laps of the 'Ring )
Appreciate 0