E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is maintenance program refundable?

02-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
nickkkkkk408
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i

Is maintenance program refundable?

Hey everyone,

Are maintenance programs refundable? The reason i ask is, in June of 2014 I bought a 2011 bmw 335i from a BMW dealership here in the bay area. It was CPO'ed and i purchased an extended maintenance program through the dealership. Car had 28,000 miles on it when i bought it and now has 51,000. I am in the process of selling the car. Because the car was still under factory warranty/maintenance until 50,000 miles i did not use ANY of the extended maintenance program which is good till i believe 100,000 miles.

I spoke with the dealership and they said it is absolutely not refundable AT ALL and it transfers with the car. Which i think is absurd because i did not use a dime of it, and it is going to be hard to mark up the car 2-3k because of an extended maintenance program which i paid 3k+ i believe.

The finance manager said since i purchased the maintenance program before July of 2014 it is not refundable, only transferable. Seems odd that the "cutoff" date is weeks after i purchased mine. How convenient? Or did i get unlucky? Or are they trying to pull one over on me and pocket that cash?

I have tried requesting a copy of the maintenance contract to send to my lawyer to look over but have not received a response. Do i have a fight in this or should i walk away and eat the 3-4k?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
PDX-335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i Sport

I think you should advertise it as one of the features/benefits when selling the car and try and recoup as much as possible. I think it will make it attractive to many buyers out there over non-warranty cars. I would have loved to have had a previous warranty when I bought my car. I think you could easily ask an extra $1500 for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Lol... Cry me a river.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
BavarianMWfan
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: -

Unfortunately that's how the stealership makes money, hence their called stealerships.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
nickkkkkk408
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valter View Post
Lol... Cry me a river.
Very helpful and mature, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianMWfan View Post
Unfortunately that's how the stealership makes money, hence their called stealerships.
Yea i was afraid of that. Didn't plan on selling it this fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-335i View Post
I think you should advertise it as one of the features/benefits when selling the car and try and recoup as much as possible. I think it will make it attractive to many buyers out there over non-warranty cars. I would have loved to have had a previous warranty when I bought my car. I think you could easily ask an extra $1500 for it.
Thanks for the advice, i am going to go into more detail about the maintenance program when advertising it, see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
Get lit
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Bright side.... It's transferrable, you may not get money back but it's a plus on helping selling your car!!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #7
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

So I paid 10 grand in monthly health insurance but never got sick, should I get a refund?

I paid 2 grand in insurance for the car last year, but never crashed, I demand a refund.

Hint: none of those aforementioned insurance plans allow me to "transfer it over to the next owner", only yours. And still you cry.

I'll soon be as mature as that. Until then I man up and appreciate what I have and not bitch about others ripping me off.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #8
nickkkkkk408
Rep

Quote:
So I paid 10 grand in monthly health insurance but never got sick, should I get a refund?

I paid 2 grand in insurance for the car last year, but never crashed, I demand a refund.

Hint: none of those aforementioned insurance plans allow me to "transfer it over to the next owner", only yours. And still you cry.

I'll soon be as mature as that. Until then I man up and appreciate what I have and not bitch about others ripping me off.
I was and am not crying, simply giving details about my situation and asking an honest question. I genuinely did not know if maintenance programs are refundable. A friend told me if you did not use it all that you get a portion back. Hence the reason for my post.

Your last sentence you let people rip you off and "don't bitch" because you think its "manly" ??
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #9
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:

That sums it up, face it op you bought an insurance policy against the possibility of future maintenance issues. You must have bought with the think you plan to keep the car, well you now decide to sell and want out of the deal.

I can tell you, I have the same program, did not pay $3K but $1.5K and still have the car and got to yr 6 and did not use any of the maintenance programs since it is base on when work needs done. In may case brakes, fluids, plugs and various other maintenance items were all done right before I hit 50K and 4 yrs since I am not hard on the car, I went another 2 yrs and nothing needed done except 2 oil changes. If I had know this I would not have bought it. I had found out later they sell the maintenance program on the assume of worse case conditions, if you are burning through brakes ever 15K miles and really hard on the car then you would definitely use the maintenance program that is for sure.

I am not sure how true is this, I ran into an engine problem at 52K miles and 4yrs and 3 month which took the week diagnose and repair and did not cost me a penny. They said due to the fact I had the maintenance program they covered all the repairs. I think they just covered it under the standard warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #10
mastarron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive M Sport e92

When I purchased my platinum extended warranty to 7year 100k, I declined the extended maintenance because there was no way I can justify 2.5-3k spending for wipers, rotors/pads and spark plugs. IF you take it to the dealer, they will charge you 2.5-3k, but a DIY job you save 2.5k

The platinum warranty extension was well worth it though.
Appreciate 0