E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Tuned 335d + Dealer recall service = bad idea?

07-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #1
Robimplicit
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2; 335d

Tuned 335d + Dealer recall service = bad idea?

Hi:
2011 335d with outstanding recalls for blower motor and positive battery cable. I received a letter from BMW this week indicating that dealers are now ready to fix these issues. I removed the blower motor about 5 months ago and saw no corrosion or sign of water leak. Not too worried about that one but probably should have the battery cable replaced. I am worried that something bad might happen if I take it in if/when they see the changes to the exhaust system. My car was tuned (stage 2) at AARodriguez. Is there a risk if I take the car to a local dealer for the recall service?
Thanks.
-Robert.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #2
M5_1of400
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 / 2011 X5 35d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimplicit View Post
Hi:
2011 335d with outstanding recalls for blower motor and positive battery cable. I received a letter from BMW this week indicating that dealers are now ready to fix these issues. I removed the blower motor about 5 months ago and saw no corrosion or sign of water leak. Not too worried about that one but probably should have the battery cable replaced. I am worried that something bad might happen if I take it in if/when they see the changes to the exhaust system. My car was tuned (stage 2) at AARodriguez. Is there a risk if I take the car to a local dealer for the recall service?
Thanks.
-Robert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimplicit View Post
Hi:
Thanks.
-Robert.

Dealers don't care what you have done to the car.. specially if you have no warranty.. they would love to tell you that there is something wrong because
of the tune or a modified exhaust and charge you thousands to repair it..
With that said make sure you tell your S.A. that mechanics CAN NOT for any reason touch your DDE. Heard many times of people getting their DDEs re-flashed back to Stock because that was part of their "troubleshooting"
      07-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
ranthum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking to Buy

Dealers don't care for recall purposes. I'm curious if they will say anything about the nitrous bottle in the trunk though.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #4
nicefighter80
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Interested to see how this works out, as I'm in the same boat in Cincinnati as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #5
DieselOG
Spaceship Man Bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: DIEsel

I actually got warranty work on my tdi done a few years back even though it was tuned and deleted, SA thought the car was sweet and said as long as the issue wasn’t 100% caused by the tune he didn’t care
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #6
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Make sure you notify the sa not to update the dde and also put a note in the dash for the techs to know.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #7
EfiniX
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranthum View Post
Dealers don't care for recall purposes. I'm curious if they will say anything about the nitrous bottle in the trunk though.
I just had this recall service done and they didn't seem to care about the 4gal methanol tank in my trunk.
Appreciate 1
Jkloc2.00
      07-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #8
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Geeze, my car has been tuned for years. Never had an issue with a tech wiping my tune, and yes I still take it to the dealer for something (ac died recently and I liked a loaner with AC), tire mounting, etc.

They only wipe the tune when doing a software upgrade as part of their troubleshooting.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #9
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Had my JR 2.5 tune overwritten two days after upgrading when I brought the car in to code the footwell module last week. Tech knew I had a tune but ISTA does what it wants and when you tell it to mop the floor it may decide to dust the windowsills too. Be careful people.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #10
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Whisperjet View Post
Had my JR 2.5 tune overwritten two days after upgrading when I brought the car in to code the footwell module last week. Tech knew I had a tune but ISTA does what it wants and when you tell it to mop the floor it may decide to dust the windowsills too. Be careful people.
I can see ISTA wanting to reprogram the whole car for the FRM job. But for the mechanical work of replacing the battery terminal and blower motor connections I don't see why they should reprogram your car. I guess I'll be able to tell since I'm going in for these two recalls on Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:18 PM   #11
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Just picked mine up for both recalls today, no problems. They already knew I had just about everything done. When I took it for FRM3 replacement a year ago they omitted DME flash, and still covered everything under BMW 120k FRM plan. Just tell them what's good, the techs aren't dumb, they will work with you.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #12
captpilly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5D

I had my car in for airbags which was fine when I got it back. However, while they were replacing the airbags, they broke the little temperature fan - this took 3 weeks and 4 loaners for them to figure out. And then... they re-programmed the entire car for this fan on the last day. Never told them it was tuned but they had to know.

The whole thing was a pain in the ass. They also wrote all over my paperwork that the car was tuned and missing all emissions stuff. You know, for next time...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 09:06 AM   #13
M5_1of400
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by captpilly View Post
I had my car in for airbags which was fine when I got it back. However, while they were replacing the airbags, they broke the little temperature fan - this took 3 weeks and 4 loaners for them to figure out. And then... they re-programmed the entire car for this fan on the last day. Never told them it was tuned but they had to know.

The whole thing was a pain in the ass. They also wrote all over my paperwork that the car was tuned and missing all emissions stuff. You know, for next time...
Wow! perfect example.. that's why I had them put a note in the system that if for any reason they feel that it is necessary to re-program the DDE they need my approval first.

So.. if they re-programmed your car back to stock and you are deleted that would limp the car right away.. how did the dealer fix that?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 06:20 PM   #14
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

I had my car in for the HVAC blower connector and B+ terminal recall. I didn't mention anything about reflashing. It came back without an update to the DDE or any other module.
Appreciate 1
TDIwyse613.50
      08-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #15
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
I had my car in for the HVAC blower connector and B+ terminal recall. I didn't mention anything about reflashing. It came back without an update to the DDE or any other module.
Hopefully my experience for the 3 needed recalls goes as well as yours!

Looking at my blower wiring there's no evidence of burning/shorting, and the service manager said that should minimize the time and replacement parts for one of the recalls.

I did just finish removing a bunch of "stuff" from the glovebox that controls certain mods so the tech can have a cleaner access under/in there if needed. Many dangling wires moved off to the sides... a real pain the backside... the service supervisor I talked to is aware the vehicle is modified and knows I don't want anything reprogrammed, but I'm going to put a big note covering the OBD port for the tech "just in case".
      08-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #16
M5_1of400
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post

Looking at my blower wiring there's no evidence of burning/shorting, and the service manager said that should minimize the time and replacement parts for one of the recalls.

I did just finish removing a bunch of "stuff" from the glovebox that controls certain mods so the tech can have a cleaner access under/in there if needed. Many dangling wires moved off to the sides... a real pain the backside... the service supervisor I talked to is aware the vehicle is modified and knows I don't want anything reprogrammed, but I'm going to put a big note covering the OBD port for the tech "just in case".
Not only did i have them put a note in their system, but just in case they forget, this is a subtle way to remind them to stay away from the DDE
Attached Images

08-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #17
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep

I like your style but you need two stickers -- they can flash it from the OBD port.
Appreciate 1
Mik325tds805.50
      08-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #18
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post

Well, there's a little more to the story. When I drove off the BMW dealership parking lot, I noticed the engine light was on. Apparently, they didn't clear the DTCs after the repairs. It was a DDE main relay fault which could have been caused by low voltage. I just cleared it myself. So they do need access to the OBD port. Maybe it's wise to just advise them of no reflash.
Appreciate 0