E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > My E92 335i log

01-16-2021, 09:35 AM   #67
jzx_andy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Wheels arrived!

01-16-2021, 04:42 PM   #68
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Touring

Great choice for the wheels. Your car is pretty much perfect bud.

What tyres do you plan to run on them?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 10:46 PM   #69
Socket
Lieutenant General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
oooooooooooooooooo nice
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 07:21 AM   #70
jzx_andy
Private First Class
Rep

04-05-2021, 07:02 AM   #71
jzx_andy
Private First Class
Rep

tl;dr stance kid rant

I've been lurking for a while as I wasn't entirely happy with my wheel/tyre setup both visually and in terms of how it would drive. This is going to be a long post as aesthetic wheel and tyre fitment is one of my passions when it comes to most cars and really is "make or break" for me.

It felt as if the car didn't have enough negative camber allround to fit the wheels/tyres at least visually, there was a fair bit of poke allround which was not to my liking, front was scrubbing at full lock and the car had a fair bit of a reverse rake with a pretty massive front wheel gap that I set just to make everything work.

I especially did not like the reverse rake, knowing that it would be amplified once the car is rolling or under squat, and could cause rear guard rubbing issues in any event. Rear guards were rolled by a previous owner, so I suppose there is more room if I'm inclined to commit to shaving the rear inner guard lips.

Looking at the front suspension from above and through the tiny ass strut tower holes, my coilovers (ST XTA) looked as if they were maxed out on front camber. This was really bugging me as I only think there was about -2 deg of camber on the front after supposedly maxing it out, with M3 front control arms! My previous alignment specs were set at about -1.5 of front camber, which is pretty close to factory spec afaik. I wasn't too happy about this and started to question whether I bought the right coilovers for the job. Thoughts came to mind such as "WTF have I done...? Have I gone too far with this setup in terms of rear width and offsets?" etc etc. This car really is my pride and joy - I thought I was making fairly sensible choices that would get me toward my end goal of having a fairly balanced car with an aggressive stance.

This whole situation made me have a long and hard think about my build so far, where I was going with it, and whether I was making the right choices. Ultimately, I decided to put faith in my original vision and do everything I possibly could to make this setup work nicely without resorting to pulling guards, etc. I wasn't ready to let the situation defeat me.

I ended up taking the front struts out and thankfully there was wayyyy more room for negative camber adjustment. Note to anyone with KW/ST coilovers with adjustable camber hats - you'll need to take the fuckers out to get a meaningful amount of adjustment. This was a great start.

Dialling in more neg camber ended up making plenty of clearance where the front bumper and fenders meet. This is the usual the area of concern when it comes to aggressive fitment on an E92, especially as the OEM front fenders are made of plastic.

Most importantly, this allowed me to lower the front in the hopes that I'd be able to mitigate the liner rubbing issues under full lock around the oil cooler/aux radiator shrouds. This was fixed quite easily by trimming the inside of the shrouds so they could sit closer to the radiators, and by heat gunning the liners and moulding them to sit further toward the front bumper.

So I moved on to the rear and maxed out the OEM rear camber adjustment, which wasn't enough. This is how it looked.

All in all, the height was fairly decent and just needed a slight raise, so no real dramas there. But it wasn't perfect. To me, it sorta looked like a monster truck with the slight wheel gap and ~10-15mm of poke. I wanted the rear to sit nicer than that.

I ended up ordering a pair of Manzo adjustable rear camber arms, as I was quite happy with their adjustable rear toe arms that were already on the car.

Going for 265 Yoko's on the 10.5" wheels proved to be a wise choice as it allows just enough room for the tyre to not hit the fender under squat, without needing a totally crazy alignment.

After a bunch of trial and error, I got the car looking the way I wanted it to look. Low enough for the advans to look good, but not slammed, and enough clearance for the body to not hit the tyres under small/moderate suspension travel and full lock when parking.

After all the above messing around, I gave the wheels a wash, a ceramic coat with Gyeon Rim, and slapped the Advan stickers on. Took it for a quick test drive and surprisingly discovered that everything paid off nicely, the car drives great! Doesn't rub everywhere on the street like a stanced POS.

The car still does have a fair bit of toe out atm thanks to all the changes I've made, so it will need a professional alignment - I'm hopeful that will also give a tad of extra clearance in the front for good measure.

Here's some happy snaps. Happy to finally be moving on to other aspects of the car.

Last edited by jzx_andy; 04-05-2021 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 10:35 AM   #72
jzx_andy
Private First Class
Rep

So... I did a thing today and fitted a pair of F82 M4 front seats. I also managed to snag a full set of Individual piano black interior trims, which should be the last interior mod (touch wood)!

All electrics except for seat heating and light up ///M badges are working. My car did not come with seat heating from the factory so I'm pretty sure I just need some buttons and a bit of coding, the lighting will need to have a bit of custom work done

Super glad I held out for a pair of these instead of settling on a pair of e9x heated seats, these totally change the feel of the car.
      05-14-2021, 06:17 PM   #73
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzx_andy View Post
So... I did a thing today and fitted a pair of F82 M4 front seats. I also managed to snag a full set of Individual piano black interior trims, which should be the last interior mod (touch wood)!

All electrics except for seat heating and light up ///M badges are working. My car did not come with seat heating from the factory so I'm pretty sure I just need some buttons and a bit of coding, the lighting will need to have a bit of custom work done

Super glad I held out for a pair of these instead of settling on a pair of e9x heated seats, these totally change the feel of the car.
Do the M4 seats bolt straight up to the floor mountings and does the electrical wiring plug straight up to these seats?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 06:08 AM   #74
jzx_andy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes33 View Post
Do the M4 seats bolt straight up to the floor mountings and does the electrical wiring plug straight up to these seats?
They bolt up but it isn't plug and play - need to swap over connectors and seatbelt buckles from your e9x seats, pin everything correctly and then code out the passenger seat occupancy sensor. Fairly painless stuff for people who know their way around these cars haha
      05-15-2021, 04:43 PM   #75
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzx_andy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes33 View Post
They bolt up but it isn't plug and play - need to swap over connectors and seatbelt buckles from your e9x seats, pin everything correctly and then code out the passenger seat occupancy sensor. Fairly painless stuff for people who know their way around these cars haha
Nice build mate
where'd you source the M4 seats from Andy?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 09:24 AM   #76
jzx_andy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoper View Post
Nice build mate
where'd you source the M4 seats from Andy?
I got them from a local F82 wreck
      05-16-2021, 09:25 AM   #77
jzx_andy
Private First Class
Rep

Fitted the trim pieces. Looks so good. Certainly looks different from when I first got the car