E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Building the E92 328csl

06-17-2020, 06:02 PM   #221
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I see what you mean yeah it looks a lot closer in color when you look at them both straight on.
3500 isn't that bad I think the car could use some stuff like a lighter hood and trunk and maybe get it down to 328i rwd coupe while having xdrive.
What you've done is pretty dope you should pass by one of those places where they weigh your car for recycling metals and see what it comes out to be!
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3759.50
      06-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #222
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

the CSL looks like its on a different plane than the 328 badge. Maybe its just me. Do you notice that?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #223
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTMOODY View Post
the CSL looks like its on a different plane than the 328 badge. Maybe its just me. Do you notice that?
The install could have gone better for sure, but for my handiwork it’s pretty good

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 04:35 PM   #224
CDirks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Quote:
The install could have gone better for sure, but for my handiwork it’s pretty good

The carbon trunk, roundel, and badging fits the build really well. I'm not normally a fan of unpainted carbon but this build does it so well
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3759.50
      06-18-2020, 04:46 PM   #225
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ok, ok... my OCD was already bothered a bit and then you noticed, which made it worse. So I just remounted it lol

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 04:56 PM   #226
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDirks View Post
The carbon trunk, roundel, and badging fits the build really well. I'm not normally a fan of unpainted carbon but this build does it so well
Thanks! I’m planning on painting it at some point because I feel like you about carbon parts generally, but I’m not in a hurry. I’d rather put the money into a few other more functional mods first.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #227
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
[QUOTE=Biginboca;26330287]
Quote:
That looks great

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3759.50
      06-19-2020, 09:11 PM   #228
Nihilation
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, 328xi AT and 328i 6MT

Fantastic man! Love it!
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3759.50
      06-21-2020, 10:21 AM   #229
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ok, ok... my OCD was already bothered a bit and then you noticed, which made it worse. So I just remounted it lol

Looks perfect now. Great job. I have the same ocd when it comes to things like this.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 02:26 AM   #230
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Alright, so how does it handle now that you dropped all of this weight?

Also, had it on the scales yet?

Car is looking mega. I love it.

Last edited by tlow98; 06-25-2020 at 02:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 01:52 PM   #231
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Alright, so how does it handle now that you dropped all of this weight?

Also, had it on the scales yet?

Car is looking mega. I love it.
So the car is... amazing! I love this car. I have driven some amazing cars and this car is to me just as much fun as any of them. It just feels responsive as hell in every way. As a benchmark I’ve had 30 mins plus of wheel time in all these cars in the last year:

Camaro SS1LE Manual
Porsche 997 Carrera S Manual
Cayman GT4
AMG Mclaren SLR
E92M3 Manual (3) and DCT (2)
M2 Manual and DCT
F80 M3 DCT
M4 DCT
M6 DCT
Z8 Manual
Jaguar F Type R

I enjoy driving my car more than almost every car on that list, even a 650hp AMG SLR Which felt heavy and numb and didn’t have nearly as good a sound to the exhaust. So that is crazy I know, and I can’t say everyone would agree but I’m not a horsepower nut. I’m a driving experience nut who wants to work the car and I like analog everything.

The only cars on that list I enjoyed as much are the GT4 and the Carerra S and it’s because they are in that same vein, lightweight analog drivers cars that you have to work to extract the speed from.

My car is now like an angry chihuahua in that it’s light and nimble and ready to jump any which way in an instant, and it positively screams at high revs WOT. So it’s very stimulating in the drivers seat. There’s a lot of factors which contribute to this. Sometimes people make comments about this car assuming what it’s like from their time in a 328 but you really can’t do that because every single thing you interact with is changed and the car is so far from stock. I don’t really think you can benchmark it against another 328i. Think about it.

Steering Rack changed (12:1 rack is quicker than any other bmw ever made (except the e92m3 which has about 300lbs more over the front tires and isn’t nearly as nimble feeling)
Shifter changed (short shifter and 3.91 gearing)
Brakes changed
Clutch Valve Deleted
Throttle response sensitivity changed (part of tune)
Not to mention the nature of the engine where it builds power all the way to 7500rpms. It doesn’t fall flat after 6500 like it did when stock and also with 3 stage intake.

So everything you interact with from the drivers seat has dramatically increased in sensitivity. The car now reminds me a lot of my buddies 997 carerra S. That car has 355hp and weighs like 3150lbs. It changes directions mid turn super easily and my car has migrated close to that. It’s not quite as eager to turn in as the Carrera S, but it’s moved significantly in that direction. I enjoy the handling and throttle sensitivity a lot more than the OG M2.

If I could change 2 things on my car:

I would make the chassis a little stiffer. The Porsche’s did feel a little more solid, like when you hit a bump in then the car shifts once and stays focused on its track, where in all the other cars I’ve driven you feel the front shift and then a back, so there’s like 2 shifts in the chassis when you hit a bump and they are a little more unsettled.

I would not mind like 30-50 more HP. I don’t feel the car is hurting for power but a little more would be great.

For the future I’m looking at new bucket seats. Looks like the recaro pole position will be my likely choice. A pair of those would add a little bit to that analog “feeling/being one with the car” and also take 60lbs off the car. After that then maybe someday I’ll do a rear seat delete for another 65lbs. That should put the car almost to 2900lbs which would make it just perfect to me.

Last edited by Biginboca; 06-25-2020 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 02:17 PM   #232
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Do you have a post listing each and every mod you've done? I didn't see one, you should add it to the first post.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #233
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So the car is... amazing! I love this car. I have driven some amazing cars and this car is to me just as much fun as any of them. It just feels responsive as hell in every way. As a benchmark I’ve had 30 mins plus of wheel time in all these cars in the last year:

Camaro SS1LE Manual
Cayman GT4
AMG Mclaren SLR
M2 Manual and DCT
F80 M3 DCT
M4 DCT
M6 DCT
Z8 Manual
Jaguar F Type R

I enjoy driving my car more than almost every car on that list, even a 650hp AMG SLR Which felt heavy and numb and didn’t have nearly as good a sound to the exhaust. So that is crazy I know, and I can’t say everyone would agree but I’m not a horsepower nut. I’m a driving experience nut who wants to work the car and I like analog everything.

The only cars on that list I enjoyed as much are the GT4 and the Carerra S and it’s because they are in that same vein, lightweight analog drivers cars that you have to work to extract the speed from.

My car is now like an angry chihuahua in that it’s light and nimble and ready to jump any which way in an instant, and it positively screams at high revs WOT. So it’s very stimulating in the drivers seat. There’s a lot of factors which contribute to this. Sometimes people make comments about this car assuming what it’s like from their time in a 328 but you really can’t do that because every single thing you interact with is changed and the car is so far from stock. I don’t really think you can benchmark it against another 328i. Think about it.

Steering Rack changed (12:1 rack is quicker than any other bmw ever made (except the e92m3 which has about 300lbs more over the front tires and isn’t nearly as nimble feeling)
Brakes changed
Clutch Valve Deleted
Not to mention the nature of the engine where it builds power all the way to 7500rpms. It doesn’t fall flat after 6500 like it did when stock and also with 3 stage intake.

So everything you interact with from the drivers seat has dramatically increased in sensitivity. The car now reminds me a lot of my buddies 997 carerra S. That car has 355hp and weighs like 3150lbs. It changes directions mid turn super easily and my car has migrated close to that. It’s not quite as eager to turn in as the Carrera S, but it’s moved significantly in that direction. I enjoy the handling and throttle sensitivity a lot more than the OG M2.

I would make the chassis a little stiffer. The Porsche’s did feel a little more solid, like when you hit a bump in then the car shifts once and stays focused on its track, where in all the other cars I’ve driven you feel the front shift and then a back, so there’s like 2 shifts in the chassis when you hit a bump and they are a little more unsettled.

I would not mind like 30-50 more HP. I don’t feel the car is hurting for power but a little more would be great.

For the future I’m looking at new bucket seats. Looks like the recaro pole position will be my likely choice. A pair of those would add a little bit to that analog “feeling/being one with the car” and also take 60lbs off the car. After that then maybe someday I’ll do a rear seat delete for another 65lbs. That should put the car almost to 2900lbs which would make it just perfect to me.
Awesome. I love it!

With respect to chassis stiffeners - there are a lot available between the E90/91/92 and M3. Have you taken those into account? I integrated the lower front aluminum plate M3 stiffener on my car and it was a substantial change. There are MANY stiffeners in the rear that you could also use.

Check out my build to see the lower stiffeners. Huge change. You already have the E92 rear stock, i think?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 06:03 PM   #234
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Awesome. I love it!

With respect to chassis stiffeners - there are a lot available between the E90/91/92 and M3. Have you taken those into account? I integrated the lower front aluminum plate M3 stiffener on my car and it was a substantial change. There are MANY stiffeners in the rear that you could also use.

Check out my build to see the lower stiffeners. Huge change. You already have the E92 rear stock, i think?
I considered the front skid plate/stiffener but I’ve been trying to take weight off not add it. The reason I was considering it though was because I saw it in your thread!

So from what you removed from the belly/skid plate it looks like what you have left on the car probably weighs about 6lbs now? I actually looked the part up on realoem after reading your thread and found the stock weight and then subtracted a bit for what you cut off to get a figure like that.

Interesting you say it’s a substantial difference. I figured that plate was more of a skid plate to protect the oil pan and decided the added weight wasn’t necessary for the benefit (as a skid plate). I see a lot of track cars run skid plates and kind of assumed it was more for that.

Yes in the rear I have the stock e92 “V” brace.

Last edited by Biginboca; 06-25-2020 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 07:50 PM   #235
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I considered the front skid plate/stiffener but I’ve been trying to take weight off not add it. The reason I was considering it though was because I saw it in your thread!

So from what you removed from the belly/skid plate it looks like what you have left on the car probably weighs about 6lbs now? I actually looked the part up on realoem after reading your thread and found the stock weight and then subtracted a bit for what you cut off to get a figure like that.

Interesting you say it’s a substantial difference. I figured that plate was more of a skid plate to protect the oil pan and decided the added weight wasn’t necessary for the benefit (as a skid plate). I see a lot of track cars run skid plates and kind of assumed it was more for that.

Yes in the rear I have the stock e92 “V” brace.

I trimmed >50% of the plate off to fit and I kept the black bottom belly pan which fits over the aluminum pan.

If you look at the subframe in cross-section and note where the control arms attach it's basically an open-ended bracket. It's not fully boxed in. The difference is large in the front end response. I did Monoball thrust bearings first, which was great but the plate made it all work together.

Also, adding an aluminum plate at the bottom of the chassis is the best possible place to add weight, plus the trade-off is just so enjoyable.

OE manufacturers do not add chassis stiffeners that are not VERY noticeable. It's just a waste of their time and money and they don't do that. Also, BLW has implemented some version of this brace as stock on the M3 cars since the E30 days. The E46 one could not be retrofitted, in the E36 and E30 cars it's a massive improvement in feel/precision. On my E36 M3 it was called the "x-brace".

I say you're missing out in feel if you don't do it. The only downside is the weight, but it's very inboard and low and aluminum. Cut 2/3rds off the stock weight of the plate and that will be what you are adding. The M3 went as far as to have carbon plastic bumper reinforcements, but added this piece - that says a lot!

it totally follows with your CSL theme, too. All cars that where that badge have a brace in that location - just sayin'! :-)

Last edited by tlow98; 06-25-2020 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3759.50
      06-25-2020, 09:46 PM   #236
scanspeak
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i 12/2007

Quote:

Camaro SS1LE Manual
Cayman GT4
AMG Mclaren SLR
M2 Manual and DCT
F80 M3 DCT
M4 DCT
M6 DCT
Z8 Manual
Jaguar F Type R

Brakes changed
Clutch Valve Deleted

I believe our N52 is the best daily driver of all. It's cheap enough to maintain, modify and not stress over, DIY friendly, usable 4 seats, has a sweet sound, large glasshouse with excellent visibility, and light enough so that you dont have to be going warp speed to enjoy it.
Appreciate 2
Biginboca3759.50
      06-25-2020, 10:45 PM   #237
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

I had two n52 and now an m57. I can't complain about how the m57 just has loads of torque but I "always" miss how light and nimble my n52 felt. I will keep my eyes open for a 128i so I can follow a similar path to what you have and get a super light NA straight six back in the stable. They are great cars.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3759.50
      06-26-2020, 06:57 AM   #238
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I trimmed >50% of the plate off to fit and I kept the black bottom belly pan which fits over the aluminum pan.

If you look at the subframe in cross-section and note where the control arms attach it's basically an open-ended bracket. It's not fully boxed in. The difference is large in the front end response. I did Monoball thrust bearings first, which was great but the plate made it all work together.

Also, adding an aluminum plate at the bottom of the chassis is the best possible place to add weight, plus the trade-off is just so enjoyable.

OE manufacturers do not add chassis stiffeners that are not VERY noticeable. It's just a waste of their time and money and they don't do that. Also, BLW has implemented some version of this brace as stock on the M3 cars since the E30 days. The E46 one could not be retrofitted, in the E36 and E30 cars it's a massive improvement in feel/precision. On my E36 M3 it was called the "x-brace".

I say you're missing out in feel if you don't do it. The only downside is the weight, but it's very inboard and low and aluminum. Cut 2/3rds off the stock weight of the plate and that will be what you are adding. The M3 went as far as to have carbon plastic bumper reinforcements, but added this piece - that says a lot!

it totally follows with your CSL theme, too. All cars that where that badge have a brace in that location - just sayin'! :-)
Ok I’m sold! I just BIN one for $85 delivered on EBay. Sounds like it’s worth adding 6lbs for the benefits. Thanks for suggesting it!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 02:01 PM   #239
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ok I’m sold! I just BIN one for $85 delivered on EBay. Sounds like it’s worth adding 6lbs for the benefits. Thanks for suggesting it!
I might be adding one to my 335d as well. Seems like a good bang for the buck.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 02:13 PM   #240
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Do you have a post listing each and every mod you've done? I didn't see one, you should add it to the first post.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 06:44 PM   #241
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I’ll work on a list this weekend. It’s a long list lol
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 07:43 PM   #242
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ok here you go. As of today these are the current mods:

Engine/Drivetrain:
Supplemental intake next to drivers side fog light
Euro Intake wrapped with Gold Heat Shield Tape
K&N Drop in Euro Filter
3.5” Piping to Throttle Body
N54 Throttle Body
N54 Intake Manifold Ported
MILV’s
Stage FP (BPC) Tuning (7500 Redline, MILV’s, Headers, Manifold)
AA Catless Headers
Supersprint Secondary Cat Delete
AA Muffler with Black Painted Tips
3.91 Final Drive with Magnetic Drain Plug
M-Factory Differential Bushings
M Factory Torsen LSD
530i Vented Differential Cover
N54 OEM Oil Cooler with OEM Ducting from Passenger Fog Light
Antigravity H6/Group-48 Battery - 30Ah/13lbs

Chassis/Handling:
BMW E92 Performance Suspension with Front Swaybar
Supreme Power Front Drop Spring Perches
M3 Front Control Arms
UUC Front Strut Brace
E92M3 12:1 Steering Rack
Ovaled Front Strut Mounts (-1.7 Camber)
M3 Rear Control Arms
ECS Tuning Rear Trailing Arms
Manzo Rear Toe Arms
Whiteline Rear Subframe Inserts
Apex ARC-8 18x9” ET30 Wheels Square Set Up
Falken FK510 255/35 R18 Tires
Apex Bullet Nose Wheel Studs
Turner 10mm Rear Wheel Spacers
BMW 435i Brembo Front Brakes and Rotors (340mm x 30mm 2 piece) with Vented Shield and Performance Brake Coding
Clutch Delay Valve Deleted
Adjustable Clutch Stop
Turner Shifter Bushing

Interior:
335is Front Door Panels
eBay Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
Red Aluminum Start Button Surround
BMW Short Shift Kit
BMW Performance Shifter and Boot
BMW Performance Ebrake Handle
E92M3 Slicktop Headliner with Black Visors and Pillar Trims
AC Schnitzer Knock Off Aluminum Pedals
All OEM Tools Purchased to fill Trunk Tool Slots

Exterior:
Aftermarket M Sport Front Bumper with OEM M Sport Brake Ducts
OEM E92M3 Composite Front Bumper Carrier
ECS Tuning Carbon “Arkym” Lip
Seibon O/E style Carbon Hood
E92M3 Carbon Roof
Seibon CSL Style Carbon Trunk
OEM E92M3 Composite Rear Bumper Carrier
OEM E92M3 Side Skirts
LUX LED Angel Eyes
Depo LED Tail Lights
328csl Badging
Ceramic Window Tints
Various Decals lol

Last edited by Biginboca; 06-26-2020 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
tlow982162.50