E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > '15 N55 Retro-swap into an '11 335i AWD begins

07-01-2019, 09:53 PM   #1
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
From this crate:
Then six months of fighting with the POA about the difference between a temporary and permanent structure...
My baby finally sits in a weather tight enclosure:

Ready to become a true FBO PS2 Silver Sleeper with the addition of a Custom ProMeth/Wedge isopropanol manifold injected injection system, an Orteeze BBK incl M3 MC, and a heated steering wheel w/paddle shifters.

Exactly how many of the Newtis.info BMW tools can I do without?
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      07-02-2019, 05:14 AM   #2
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i l 328xi l X5M

Await to see this...
      07-02-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
cahme
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i Sport MT

Sweet, definitely interested in seeing this done!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Progress?

For me, this is progress. Much better... I've managed not to damage/break the surprising amount of plastic encountered up to this point. The initial comparison between blocks is encouraging. The main visual difference is the additional freeze plug on the newer block for access to the oil pump. The '15 block came with the OFH for the satellite oil cooler. My '11 did not. I plan on putting an OEM cooler on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Looking good, keep it up.
Appreciate 1
cranelec104.50
      07-06-2019, 09:49 PM   #6
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
Looking good, keep it up.
Your encouragement/guidance is a big factor in my pursuit of this effort.
Of course, several other forum members who have earned my respect through their keystrokes, willingness to offer guidance to help me get through those head scratching moments is comforting.
Unless something truly unforeseen pops up, you were correct in your assertion that an N55 block is an N55 block. The dread/fear that others have expressed is largely due to one post on a different forum. In that post, the member really overestimated his skill set and panicked when the newer style Bosch HPFP had no way to communicate with the MEDV1726 or wtf the DME is called in the pre 2/2012 E90s.
I took bbnks advice to heart and newtissed my ass off.
Check your pm's tomorrow, I have a driveshaft question.
Thanks

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 06:55 AM   #7
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep

This is amazing to see, I myself have dug through my '11 N55 motor and am familiar with the pop up issues aswell. Anything you need let me know and ill be more than happy to help. i may have a stock oem oil cooler for ya
      07-18-2019, 09:46 PM   #8
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiFFv1 View Post
This is amazing to see, I myself have dug through my '11 N55 motor and am familiar with the pop up issues aswell. Anything you need let me know and ill be more than happy to help. i may have a stock oem oil cooler for ya
My biggest problem is component "separation!"
My cursory 'root cause analysis' indicates that the use of salt on the roads really "phucks up" the aluminum parts on my N55. My lack of N55 experience coupled with the caustic effects of the ice melting chemicals have a tendency to chemically bond the aluminum parts together. For example, it took me 2.5 hours to remove the alternator due to the chemical bonding of the A/C bracket guide pins which serves as the lower support for the alternator.

Unable to determine where the Transfer Case ends and the Transmission starts (that's the extent of the chemical damage), I have no choice but to use a dye-penetrant NDT course of action to determine where one casting ends and another begins. So I can beat the Phuck out of it!
TALK IS CHEAP...and my car is still up on the quick jacks, but ....yet converting the '15 N55 to a 2011 AWD involves: changing the oil pan, vacuum pump, fuel pump, fuel rail, valve cover, and swapping a sensor plug.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      07-18-2019, 09:53 PM   #9
twinscrolled
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Why are you using a EWG N55 again?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 09:58 PM   #10
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinscrolled View Post
Why are you using a EWG N55 again?
Nope, my ECU wouldn't support an EWG
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #11
twinscrolled
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranelec View Post
Oh, so you are just using the block?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #12
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinscrolled View Post
Quote:
Oh, so you are just using the block?
Snowflake?

Last edited by cranelec; 07-19-2019 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
mad1stgen409.00
      07-19-2019, 10:59 PM   #13
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Progress update...
It's Phucking hot!... Swallowed my pride and dropped/removed the sub-frame
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      07-20-2019, 05:19 AM   #14
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Your getting to it now! Almost there brother
      07-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #15
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Looks like you did a ton of extra work lol. It's all a part of learning though. First time pulling the engine took me like 8 hours. I can do it in 2.5 now. You really didn't need to remove most of what you did.

BMW engineers are pretty clever. There are multiple places to pry the transmission bell-housing from the engine block. Same as the cylinder head to the block. Undo the bolts and pry them apart. No need to "see" the separation line. The pry points seem intentional anyway.

Last edited by bbnks2; 07-22-2019 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 08:59 PM   #16
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Looks like you did a ton of extra work lol. It's all a part of learning though. First time pulling the engine took me like 8 hours. I can do it in 2.5 now. You really didn't need to remove most of what you did.
Mr. Bbnks2...this is what happens when forum members heed your advice! While waiting six months to start "wrenching" on my car, I read newtis.info till my eyes bled along with watching every "N55/N54 'How to swap BMW engines' videos I found. (btw: great advice!)
I was stunned by my own BMW ignorance. It took me seven days to get this far...(there is no greater teacher than experience). I even taught myself how to make a bubble flair!
FYI: There's more going on than meets the eye:
Orteeze BBK(taken from an F series M3 including M3 Master Cylinder); Custom ProMeth/Ken Atkinson Isopropanol/Methanol Manifold Injection Kit; a heated Sport Steering Wheel with Paddle Shifters; and maybe a performance exhaust.
So, I say "Thank You" to you, Weehee, Pladi, Orteeze, Turbod, feuer, DiffV and other forum members who have earned my respect through their keystrokes. Without forum members like these offering their encouragement, their guidance, and their confidence in my abilities, this act of automotive financial stupidity would not be possible!
And now "A BETTER PERSPECTIVE"
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Pladi718.00
DiFFv189.50
feuer4275.50
      07-24-2019, 07:47 AM   #17
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Mr. Bbnks2...this is what happens when forum members heed your advice! While waiting six months to start "wrenching" on my car, I read newtis.info till my eyes bled along with watching every "N55/N54 'How to swap BMW engines' videos I found. (btw: great advice!)
I was stunned by my own BMW ignorance. It took me seven days to get this far...(there is no greater teacher than experience). I even taught myself how to make a bubble flair!
FYI: There's more going on than meets the eye:
Orteeze BBK(taken from an F series M3 including M3 Master Cylinder); Custom ProMeth/Ken Atkinson Isopropanol/Methanol Manifold Injection Kit; a heated Sport Steering Wheel with Paddle Shifters; and maybe a performance exhaust.
So, I say "Thank You" to you, Weehee, Pladi, Orteeze, Turbod, feuer, DiffV and other forum members who have earned my respect through their keystrokes. Without forum members like these offering their encouragement, their guidance, and their confidence in my abilities, this act of automotive financial stupidity would not be possible!
And now "A BETTER PERSPECTIVE"
You brought us a thread to look forward to. This is the only thread on this section of the forum to look forward to something. At this point i think you are all in and looks like making great progress. I have no doubt she will start when you are done.
Appreciate 2
DiFFv189.50
cranelec104.50
      07-24-2019, 12:42 PM   #18
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
You brought us a thread to look forward to. This is the only thread on this section of the forum to look forward to something. At this point i think you are all in and looks like making great progress. I have no doubt she will start when you are done.
+1 , I seconded that
cranelec104.50
      07-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #19
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

So mike what are you gonna do with the old engine ? Sell it or rebuild it at some point ? I know your probably not thinking about that yet but just curious.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #20
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
So mike what are you gonna do with the old engine ? Sell it or rebuild it at some point ? I know your probably not thinking about that yet but just curious.
Just like bbnks's advice regarding newtis.info, YOU told me to put those motors side-by-side and swap "part-for-part" and "wire-for-wire" to avoid mistakes. That's exactly what I plan to do as far as it's practical.
Once the newer motor is running perfectly, I'd like to do a "root cause failure analysis" of my original engine using my own two hands. I think I will learn a lot. Unlike the time of failure last December, the winter weather should no longer be a factor and I can take my time (Thanks to erecting that HF portable garage to withstand a Canadian winter).
Originally, I planned on sending it to Alex @ ABR in Houston for a killer (forged internals, etc.) rebuild.
However, like Ozzie...exactly how fast is fast enough? Further, my employer has offered a very attractive buyout if I accept it by 12/31/21. Obviously, earlier retirement poses a dichotomy regarding my hobby. If I accept my employer's buyout, I will enjoy the benefits of free time to pursue more speed while sacrificing the ability to earn enough extra "play" money to afford that speed.
This is an expensive hobby we have chosen for ourselves.
I have no interest in adding anything further to my baby other than the above mentioned exhaust and possibly new wheels.
I'm fairly confident that weehee is correct and the bottom end is ok on the old engine. If you are correct and I get this adventure right and the '15 motor proves that BMW worked out the issues of a '11 motor, I would consider selling it to a select handful of forum members (below fair market value) just to help offset the costs I have incurred.
Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      07-28-2019, 09:15 PM   #21
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
UPDATE...
I did not find any metal shavings in the oil filter. I'm pretty embarrassed that it took me almost a half hour to remove the oil pan (missed three bolts purposely hidden by BMW engineers).

I did find two tiny metallic "slivers" in the residue of the oil pan. Next, I focused my efforts on removing the oil sump. Eventually, I noticed that the area over the oil sump where cylinder 5 happens to be looked like someone torched the plastic.

I didn't expect to start my failure analysis until the new motor was in the car but I figured what the hell...

So, it appears that cylinder number five is/was starved for oil. I have no choice but to continue the swap. (I really want to replace all the bearings and put the old motor back together).

Judging by the significant observable external differences between the '15 oil pan vs. the '11... it will be interesting to see the if BMW made significant changes in 2/2012 to alleviate the non-existent N55 "spun rod bearings" conspiracy theory when I drop the newer pan.

I know, I know, bbnks2: just because this happened to me and other forum members does not mean my N55 (manufactured in July 2010) is part of a BMW cover-up. At best my spun bearing is a coincidence. After all correlation is not definitive causation
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #22
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

The oil pans do look a little different. Changing a few small kinks to fit the new chassis isn't making any significant difference to the overall function of the pan though. same capacity and same issue with no baffle.

By the way, that is a rod bearing... not a crank bearing.
Appreciate 0