E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Punctured rim/Wheel while reversing - 335xi

11-27-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
infinityplusone
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Punctured rim/Wheel while reversing - 335xi

2011 335xi - so I just went through two drivers side real wheels in a matter of hours. I just developed this loud thunk or thud that was very audible but only happened when braking while reversing.

I was literally leaving to drive my car to have it checked out and when I reversed, the car seemed stuck, I gave it a little gas and it feels like (with the loud clunk) broke free. However, something comes in contact with the inside of the wheel and punctures the inside of the wheel.

I can't find anything related to reversing while breaking cracking, puncturing or damaging the wheel but I do know now that if I go buy another wheel and repeat, I feel confident whatever is happening will crack that rim/wheel.

Does anyone have any idea what the heck could be going on?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Didn't read the post correctly.

Like the other guys says, tpms broke loose.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.

Last edited by techwhiz; 12-05-2019 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:59 AM   #3
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

From what you wrote I can't tell if you have a flat tire or broken wheel, or if you just have noise coming from the wheel. If your tire is still inflated and you're hearing a clunking it could be your tpms has broken loose and is bouncing around inside your tire. Happened to me last year.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
infinityplusone
Rep
Drives: 335xi

So the bottom caliper mounting bolt fell out (don't know how). When reversing, the caliper would move and become lodged against the wheel well of the rim. The "Getting stuck" part was the part where the caliper would shift and nearly stab into the wheel but couldn't move anymore since the top mount was still in place. Continuing to reverse would push all the force of the halfway bolted caliper into the wheel and pierce it. $5 caliper bolt replacement fixed the issue...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Surprised you didn't bend/break anything else. That's a lot of force on the caliper, mounting tabs, top bolt...
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      12-16-2019, 11:14 PM   #6
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Surprised you didn't bend/break anything else. That's a lot of force on the caliper, mounting tabs, top bolt...
I'm surprised that scrapes, scuffs...on caliper went unnoticed. Takes forse the crack the barrel that would vertically leave a mark on the caliper.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 07:50 AM   #7
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

That, too.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #8
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityplusone View Post
So the bottom caliper mounting bolt fell out (don't know how). When reversing, the caliper would move and become lodged against the wheel well of the rim. The "Getting stuck" part was the part where the caliper would shift and nearly stab into the wheel but couldn't move anymore since the top mount was still in place. Continuing to reverse would push all the force of the halfway bolted caliper into the wheel and pierce it. $5 caliper bolt replacement fixed the issue...
Funny, I said this at first but someone indicated that it was just noise and not a broken wheel.

I had this happen with an E30 M3 and destroyed a front wheel when braking.
I found a new mechanic.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #9
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
Funny, I said this at first but someone indicated that it was just noise and not a broken wheel.
Was your reply deleted?
Appreciate 0