E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > what does this code mean - 497D - Pressure sensors

02-24-2020, 05:52 PM   #1
Dontworry
Rep
Drives: 2010 320i Business edition

what does this code mean - 497D - Pressure sensors

Hi all,

i would like to know what the does the following error mean, i can clear the code, but if i switch the car off after running it comes back up, and does anyone know i can fix it,

497D - Pressure sensors,plausibility under after run: Exhaust gas pressure before the turbo charger not reasonable in relation to ambient pressure,

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:11 AM   #2
Trunks85
Trunks
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

It could be the EGR however I would start with the Exhaust Pressure Sensor as that seems to be what the code refers to. What the code is telling you is that the ECU is getting a signal that the pressure before the turbo is outside of a set parameter, this could be due to a leak, blockage or faulty sensor. I'd start with the sensor. The sensors retail for about £30 online.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

I can't see how that could be an EGR fault. EGR faults always come with a MAF fault, because the MAF readings don't add up correctly when EGR is misbehaving.

Have a look at the pressure sensor and its connections before spending any money. There will be a rubber tube between the manifold and the sensor; make sure it's not split. Check the wires etc. If it all looks to be physically sound, go ahead and replace the sensor itself.
Appreciate 0