E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > What sound system do you have?

10-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #23
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmshez View Post
With the base sound system, is there much point in upgrading the speakers without upgrading the amp? I'd personally love to go with a staged setup - start with speakers, see how satisfied I am with them and then upgrade the amp if necessary. The issue is the doubling up of some labour time.

That Focal option looks good although I wonder if there are purchasable wing mirror trims that are suitable for the tweeters that we can buy instead of having to drill a hole in them?

Another plug & play setup is by BAVSound but my feeling is that the Focal setup will naturally be better.

EDIT: mazaa93 - how much did installation set you back or did you do it yourself?
I was under the impression that if the speakers are changed, the amp should be changed.

And I'm pretty sure I've seen the pillar trims with tweeter cut outs for sale on the net, but after seeing the quality of workmanship by SSV I realised there was no need.

Installation was inc. in the overall price, I don't feel comfortable mucking around with the electronics of a car that is like a space ship lol.
      10-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #24
bmshez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i Coupe M Sport (E92)

Thanks mazaa. Think you're right, amp is really important and I dunno if there's any point shelling out for labour again by doing the amp later.

Gents in Melbourne: Freeway Car Audio and Complete Options Car Audio have the IFBMW-S BMW SPEAKER UPGRADE kit for below RRP - mid $400s. Install is $100-$150. They seem to have the kit in stock as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 05:13 AM   #25
Drill
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92

Found this interesting

car audio is a strange one, and one that people constantly do wrong. there are 4 main things to consider in car audio. quality speakers, quality amplification, quality source, and quality acoustic treatment, and its that last one people always ignore or forget, but its the most important.

car audio is a crash course in diminishing returns. if you just replace the speakers, anything over $150 is pretty much wasted money. above that you will get a different sound, but not much improvement. add a subwoofer and you will get the low end response production cars struggle with, but will sound detached from the rest of the sound ie you will hear the music played by the spears and the music played by the subwoofer, not one nice even sound.

if you replace the head unit (the thing with the CD player and volume dial on it) and the speakers, you get another improvement, generally in clarity and dynamic range. more money = more features and slight increase in clarity.

if you add an amplifier, you get clearer sound, more dynamic range, and more volume (if thats your thing). more money, better sound, but the returns diminishes rapidly.

add acoustic dampening and you will get a whole new level of performance. your $150 speakers will sound better than $1000 speakers in a non treated car, clarity will increase no end, and your driving pleasure increases hugely because it feels like a luxury car, no matter what heap of junk you drive. the music will no longer be playing over the road noise, it will have replaced it. details previously lost in the background noise will become audible and enjoyable.

with the acoustics of a car. just like home audio, you can have the best speakers in the world but if your speaker enclosures are like shoeboxes or tin cans they will sound terrible. so dynamat/similar should be used and all sheet metal areas (floors, doors, boot/trunk lid, roof, firewall, footwells) then over that some "decoupling foam" then a layer of mass loaded vinyl (MLV) to dampen exterior noises, vibrations, rattles, and most important resonance. the dynamat adds mass to reduce the resonance of the metal panels, the mass loaded vinyl absorbs sound waves and the decoupling foam prevents transmission of vibration between the layers, absorbing the energy. also sandwiching some dynamat and foam between the metal body panels the speakers will decouple the speakers from the metal panels.

here is probably the most concise explanation of what the three main components of automotive sound deadening do, and also how to keep the costs down. (he calls dynamat by its proper name, constrained layer dampening or CLD)

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

if you have never been in a properly sound deadened car you will probably not understand why it is worth the huge expense, but seriously, a well sound deadened car - no matter what car it is - Will instantly feel like a Bentley. once a car is deadened the sky is your limit to how good you want the sound to become. suddenly the rules of diminishing returns have gone from $150 to $1,500. any improvement is easy to hear and appreciate and you will really enjoy driving a quiet car.

generally for top quality you want to sound deaden, change head unit for a pioneer/kenwood/alpine with 2/3 RCA pre-outs (so you can add 3 amplifers, one for the front speakers, subwoofer and rear speakers (optional)) add a couple of amplifiers (1 2/4 channel amp for the speakers, plus one mono block per subwoofer).

then change the speakers for something by JL, Focal, DLS, Diamond, Hertz, or Rainbow preferably 3 way component speakers with individual tweeters, midrange and a mid-bass speakers. top end audio installs generally install the midrange and tweeters into the A pillers (windscreen pillars) and/or the dashboard to give a frontal sound stage. the midbass then go in the sides of the footwells or the doors, preferably angled towards the listener.

a good install usually uses fibreglass to create custom enclosures for the speakers in the pillars, dash and footwells, then again for the subwoofers in the boot.

so, a basic, low effort and good value for money install would be to add dynamat to the doors to reduce resonance (dynamat does NOT block outside noise very well, this is what foam and MLV do), replace the stock speakers with 6.5" 2-way component speakers (tweeter and midrange) made by alpine (not the alpine type R speakers, they are terrible), DLS, Diamond, rainbow, hertz or focal, and replace the head unit with a decent alpine, kenwood or pioneer. keep an eye on sensitivity ratings of speakers as some NEED an amplifier to sound decent, other ones just sound better amped.

then from there you can add a subwoofer (or two!), amplifers, more sound deadening (floor, trunk, firewall, roof) all to whatever budget you have.

generally 10" subs give a fast punchy sound, 12" subs a little slower. ported subwoofers boxes are more efficient than sealed boxes and can produce lower frequencies, but again are slower and less punchy. using 2 subwoofers make them sound more effortless and a cleaner sound, but you lose the use of your boot/trunk.

avoid no-brand amplifers, and any amplifer that quotes 1000watts power for a cheap price, they lie! use RMS power quotes NOT the max power quotes, and look at THD values (no more than 1% THD. in car audio THD values are inherently higher than home hifi so less than 0.1% THD are quite rare in anything but top end stuff)

Credit to: Roosta for this informative yet lengthly post
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 01:08 AM   #26
bmwvenir
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 328i coupe

Best speaker upgrade ever

Hey guys, I have a 2007 bmw 328i equipped with Hi-Fi speakers. I just recently upgraded my underseat subwoofers , door speakers , and tweeters with "Vibe Optisound" which is a British audio company. In my opinion, I can hear and feel the bass and the treble sounds very clear and refined with the tweeters. The oem speakers sounds punchy, but underpowered. With the vibe optisound, you can feel and hear how smooth the bass is. I used to have a 10 inch subwoofer in my trunk and since I don't have it anymore. It sounds like I still have it in my trunk. But anyway, installation was a breeze and everything is plug and play. The oem speakers are extremely light and feel cheap, but the vibe feels heavy and is made out of metal. I believe it's a way better and cheaper option to purchase these instead of expensive bavsound!

Best way to purchase these is on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17484951498...#38;media=COPY

Fits e90, e91, e92, and e93

Check out vibe audio bmw on google, they're legit
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 09:18 PM   #27
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i

My e93 came with Focal speakers. I was so impressed with them, I was sure the previous owner had upgraded the amp. Seems not. My hifi amp got ruined through a water leak in the boot. Yeowza, replacement 8 channel amps are not cheap. There seem to be three options. The JBL dsp 4086 ($800), the Bimmertech and identical similarly branded ones($1,600 can add Bluetooth easily ) or the original hifi. ($1,300)
Anyone got any other suggestions
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 04:29 AM   #28
TSilver335i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieatlarge View Post
My e93 came with Focal speakers. I was so impressed with them, I was sure the previous owner had upgraded the amp. Seems not. My hifi amp got ruined through a water leak in the boot. Yeowza, replacement 8 channel amps are not cheap. There seem to be three options. The JBL dsp 4086 ($800), the Bimmertech and identical similarly branded ones($1,600 can add Bluetooth easily ) or the original hifi. ($1,300)
Anyone got any other suggestions
So your current audio system is option 676? Hifi amps are only 6 channel atleast on the e90-e92.

I upgraded factory amp to the Match Up 7BMW plug an play. Pretty stoked on how it transformed the sound even with stock speakers. Currently have added some audisons the front speakers. But yeh it's close to $1500 for the Match amp.

But if you were happy with how it sounded. You should be able to pick up a replacement hifi amp on ebay for under $300. That assuming the e93 is the same LEAR HiFi amp.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 05:02 AM   #29
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

It is the leaf amp. I also have a moss gateway. Haven’t found any local used amps
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 02:12 PM   #30
TSilver335i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieatlarge View Post
It is the leaf amp. I also have a moss gateway. Haven’t found any local used amps
Must not be hifi amp if it's got MOST optic fibre plug going to it? Use a vin decoder which will tell you the audio option you have https://bimmer.work/
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 01:43 AM   #31
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

The hifi option uses most for the cd changer. It sends the signal back to the head unit which then converts it into a line out. The most gateway plugs in series with the cd changer and then via a switch on the extended auxiliary input, one can choose between iPod or aux. the fibre never comes anywhere near the amp.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 01:44 AM   #32
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I have the 676 option.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 03:00 AM   #33
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drill View Post
Found this interesting

car audio is a strange one, and one that people constantly do wrong. there are 4 main things to consider in car audio. quality speakers, quality amplification, quality source, and quality acoustic treatment, and its that last one people always ignore or forget, but its the most important.

car audio is a crash course in diminishing returns. if you just replace the speakers, anything over $150 is pretty much wasted money. above that you will get a different sound, but not much improvement. add a subwoofer and you will get the low end response production cars struggle with, but will sound detached from the rest of the sound ie you will hear the music played by the spears and the music played by the subwoofer, not one nice even sound.

if you replace the head unit (the thing with the CD player and volume dial on it) and the speakers, you get another improvement, generally in clarity and dynamic range. more money = more features and slight increase in clarity.

if you add an amplifier, you get clearer sound, more dynamic range, and more volume (if thats your thing). more money, better sound, but the returns diminishes rapidly.

add acoustic dampening and you will get a whole new level of performance. your $150 speakers will sound better than $1000 speakers in a non treated car, clarity will increase no end, and your driving pleasure increases hugely because it feels like a luxury car, no matter what heap of junk you drive. the music will no longer be playing over the road noise, it will have replaced it. details previously lost in the background noise will become audible and enjoyable.

with the acoustics of a car. just like home audio, you can have the best speakers in the world but if your speaker enclosures are like shoeboxes or tin cans they will sound terrible. so dynamat/similar should be used and all sheet metal areas (floors, doors, boot/trunk lid, roof, firewall, footwells) then over that some "decoupling foam" then a layer of mass loaded vinyl (MLV) to dampen exterior noises, vibrations, rattles, and most important resonance. the dynamat adds mass to reduce the resonance of the metal panels, the mass loaded vinyl absorbs sound waves and the decoupling foam prevents transmission of vibration between the layers, absorbing the energy. also sandwiching some dynamat and foam between the metal body panels the speakers will decouple the speakers from the metal panels.

here is probably the most concise explanation of what the three main components of automotive sound deadening do, and also how to keep the costs down. (he calls dynamat by its proper name, constrained layer dampening or CLD)

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

if you have never been in a properly sound deadened car you will probably not understand why it is worth the huge expense, but seriously, a well sound deadened car - no matter what car it is - Will instantly feel like a Bentley. once a car is deadened the sky is your limit to how good you want the sound to become. suddenly the rules of diminishing returns have gone from $150 to $1,500. any improvement is easy to hear and appreciate and you will really enjoy driving a quiet car.

generally for top quality you want to sound deaden, change head unit for a pioneer/kenwood/alpine with 2/3 RCA pre-outs (so you can add 3 amplifers, one for the front speakers, subwoofer and rear speakers (optional)) add a couple of amplifiers (1 2/4 channel amp for the speakers, plus one mono block per subwoofer).

then change the speakers for something by JL, Focal, DLS, Diamond, Hertz, or Rainbow preferably 3 way component speakers with individual tweeters, midrange and a mid-bass speakers. top end audio installs generally install the midrange and tweeters into the A pillers (windscreen pillars) and/or the dashboard to give a frontal sound stage. the midbass then go in the sides of the footwells or the doors, preferably angled towards the listener.

a good install usually uses fibreglass to create custom enclosures for the speakers in the pillars, dash and footwells, then again for the subwoofers in the boot.

so, a basic, low effort and good value for money install would be to add dynamat to the doors to reduce resonance (dynamat does NOT block outside noise very well, this is what foam and MLV do), replace the stock speakers with 6.5" 2-way component speakers (tweeter and midrange) made by alpine (not the alpine type R speakers, they are terrible), DLS, Diamond, rainbow, hertz or focal, and replace the head unit with a decent alpine, kenwood or pioneer. keep an eye on sensitivity ratings of speakers as some NEED an amplifier to sound decent, other ones just sound better amped.

then from there you can add a subwoofer (or two!), amplifers, more sound deadening (floor, trunk, firewall, roof) all to whatever budget you have.

generally 10" subs give a fast punchy sound, 12" subs a little slower. ported subwoofers boxes are more efficient than sealed boxes and can produce lower frequencies, but again are slower and less punchy. using 2 subwoofers make them sound more effortless and a cleaner sound, but you lose the use of your boot/trunk.

avoid no-brand amplifers, and any amplifer that quotes 1000watts power for a cheap price, they lie! use RMS power quotes NOT the max power quotes, and look at THD values (no more than 1% THD. in car audio THD values are inherently higher than home hifi so less than 0.1% THD are quite rare in anything but top end stuff)

Credit to: Roosta for this informative yet lengthly post
Now that I understand car audio more then I did back when this was posted, I can confidently say, the guide above is not at all accurate. Go watch pssound on youtube to learn about how to do this right
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 10:09 AM   #34
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

T silver. Thx for the advice. I picked up a used amp for $300 and all is good.
Appreciate 1