E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Help me diagnose an oscillating throttle issue

12-15-2015, 02:16 AM   #67
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harms View Post
Mate even Jin @ Active isn't too sure...
Bugger... on the upside you got the VTTs installed
Do your turbos whistle and hoot like mine?
Attached Images

Last edited by Socket; 12-15-2015 at 02:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 02:25 AM   #68
harms
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Bugger... on the upside you got the VTTs installed
Do your turbos whistle and hoot like mine?
Haven't had a proper chance to drive around yet, just stupid peak hour traffic.

But the BOV sound is definitely more high pitched, but not woodlands creatures like yours!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 02:52 AM   #69
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Haven't had a proper chance to drive around yet, just stupid peak hour traffic.

But the BOV sound is definitely more high pitched, but not woodlands creatures like yours!
Talking about woodland creatures... why would anyone dress up like this lot ROTFL
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #70
Robsvictims
Rep
Drives: Silver 2007 e90

Has anyone with a manual had this issue? From what I have seen it appears to be isolated to atuo tranny cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 07:08 PM   #71
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Update:

I took the car to Active to inspect the turbos and look at the issue.

Turbo's are fine. Very minimal shaft play. No oil leaking into the exhaust.
The abnormal amount of oil is coming down through both turbo inlets.

I asked them to replace the turbo > DP gaskets while the DP's were out even though they didn't think that would be the problem.

Jin also found the rear inlet wasn't connected very well, and upon fiddling with it, the inlet crumbled!

So I took down the VTT inlets I luckily had sitting there, which i wasn't planning on installing until sorting this shit out. So now I have the VTT inlets installed at least.

Jin replaced the PCV Vent hose hoping this might be the problem.

None of these things worked. Still have the issue.

I've been doing a bit of research on how the PCV system works, and there is a check valve integrated into the valve cover, that in vaccum is open and in boost is closed. I think it's plausible that this valve is clogged and not working effectively causing crankcase pressure to vary during vacuum and the car is compensating with STFT's. Or maybe not i dunno.

So, next I'm thinking of replacing the valve cover.

I'll have a bloody new car soon!!
Dang, definitely running out of things to replace!

Have you got the RB PCV?

Have you got a catch can installed?

I would have thought if you had either of those parts fitted you should not see excessive oil in the inlets. Is your intercooler full of oil as well? If it had heaps of oil then your theory about a clogged valve cover could make sense. Also have you taken off the engine cover and checked the valve cover for cracks?
      12-16-2015, 07:19 PM   #72
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Have you had VTL's walnut blast done?

When I was having oscillation issues at low speeds, i came across the dreaded bearing ledge issue....

This guy had rough idle etc thought he had bearing ledge issue it and was solved by intake clean

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697385

I know you've said it before that your car idles fine, so most likely not related...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #73
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I believe his cars already done the walnut blast.

Also I would suggest doing a leak test on your intake plumbing. Cracked or leaky intake manifold could cause weird issues with the AFRs, but might not throw codes if its a small leak.

I have a boost leak tester that I made that clamps to the hot side of the intercooler. The boost leak tester has an air fitting that I hook up to the air compressor. Pretty easy to detect any intake leaks that way. Let me know if you want use it.
      12-16-2015, 09:07 PM   #74
harms
Captain
Australia
Rep

I had a walnut blast <10k kms ago. I've inspected valves and they don't look too bad. A little more build up around the neck but everything else is spotless.
I do have the RB PCV valve but it's only been in for <5k kms (since before the problem anyway).
I don't have an OCC.
I haven't had the intercooler pipes off for a while, not sure if its oily.
I've closely inspected the valve cover and everything looks fine. No oil at all around the gaskets or pooling in the ridge.

My idle has started to experience little stumbles every now and again, worse when cold. Active thought my cold start wasn't as good as it should be either.

I'm going to take a break on this bloody car over Xmas. Vincent perhaps in January I can come over to yours and we can try the book leak test? It sounds like something I'd need some help with. I don't have a compressor anyway. Perhaps we can also do a walnut blast for the hell of it, just in case it does sort it out.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 09:09 PM   #75
harms
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsvictims View Post
Has anyone with a manual had this issue? From what I have seen it appears to be isolated to atuo tranny cars.
I've been in touch with people over on b1mmer b005t with the same issue and they have been a mix of AT and MT.

Are you having this problem?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 09:12 PM   #76
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Sure, my work shuts down until the week after new years so should have free time.

Doubt the issue will be carbon buildup related

Quote:
I had a walnut blast <10k kms ago. I've inspected valves and they don't look too bad. A little more build up around the neck but everything else is spotless.
I do have the RB PCV valve but it's only been in for <5k kms (since before the problem anyway).
I don't have an OCC.
I haven't had the intercooler pipes off for a while, not sure if its oily.
I've closely inspected the valve cover and everything looks fine. No oil at all around the gaskets or pooling in the ridge.

My idle has started to experience little stumbles every now and again, worse when cold. Active thought my cold start wasn't as good as it should be either.

I'm going to take a break on this bloody car over Xmas. Vincent perhaps in January I can come over to yours and we can try the book leak test? It sounds like something I'd need some help with. I don't have a compressor anyway. Perhaps we can also do a walnut blast for the hell of it, just in case it does sort it out.
      12-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #77
harms
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Sure, my work shuts down until the week after new years so should have free time.

Doubt the issue will be carbon buildup related
I'm going away and not back till after 1st week Jan.

Perhaps let just put it off till another time. I think I need a rest from this car anyway and look at it with fresh eyes in late Jan or Feb. Any help then would be great.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 09:32 PM   #78
Robsvictims
Rep

Quote:
I've been in touch with people over on b1mmer b005t with the same issue and they have been a mix of AT and MT.

Are you having this problem?
I am having this issue. I installed inlets, downpipes, and then the issue started. The weird oscillation between 1500-2000 is quite annoying. I honestly have had numerous thoughts about what it could be, but have seen your experience and it squashes most of my ideas. I have wondered if it has something to do with the wastegate duty cycle, or a vacuum leak somewhere. I am clueless, but sometime after the holidays I will try to see if I can locate any vacuum leaks.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 04:52 AM   #79
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I'm going away and not back till after 1st week Jan.

Perhaps let just put it off till another time. I think I need a rest from this car anyway and look at it with fresh eyes in late Jan or Feb. Any help then would be great.
Yep no worries mate!
      12-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #80
harms
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I am having this issue. I installed inlets, downpipes, and then the issue started. The weird oscillation between 1500-2000 is quite annoying. I honestly have had numerous thoughts about what it could be, but have seen your experience and it squashes most of my ideas. I have wondered if it has something to do with the wastegate duty cycle, or a vacuum leak somewhere. I am clueless, but sometime after the holidays I will try to see if I can locate any vacuum leaks.
Oscillations can have so many causes, which is why its been really tough to work this out. Quite a few people have been in contact with me having the same issue, and so far no one has a concrete answer, and I suspect I might be the furthest down the investigation path so hopefully my expense and time will help others. But because there can be so many possible causes, its really hard to say because it didn't work for me it won't work for you.

Have you been able to log your issue? I'd be interested in seeing if your fuel trims behave the same as mine?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #81
Robsvictims
Rep

Quote:
Oscillations can have so many causes, which is why its been really tough to work this out. Quite a few people have been in contact with me having the same issue, and so far no one has a concrete answer, and I suspect I might be the furthest down the investigation path so hopefully my expense and time will help others. But because there can be so many possible causes, its really hard to say because it didn't work for me it won't work for you.

Have you been able to log your issue? I'd be interested in seeing if your fuel trims behave the same as mine?
I haven't tried to log the issues, I have only done wot pull logs. Those come out normal, and or has normal tuning issues. I'll probably datalog it soon, but im gonna do a vacuum canister delete in the next week to try and rule that out. I have seen you, and a couple other people go through so many things. There really isn't much more I can think of to try. I have new plugs, new coils, injectors are solid, but that doesn't help. My hpfp was replaced before. Has been good for 50k miles. I was running an e30 map pre inlets and downpipe install, and the car ran good. It's not tune related. Just makes me think I hit something or knocked something loose during install of the inlets. I haven't spent much time with the car through the holidays, so I need to get back on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #82
harms
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I haven't tried to log the issues, I have only done wot pull logs. Those come out normal, and or has normal tuning issues. I'll probably datalog it soon, but im gonna do a vacuum canister delete in the next week to try and rule that out. I have seen you, and a couple other people go through so many things. There really isn't much more I can think of to try. I have new plugs, new coils, injectors are solid, but that doesn't help. My hpfp was replaced before. Has been good for 50k miles. I was running an e30 map pre inlets and downpipe install, and the car ran good. It's not tune related. Just makes me think I hit something or knocked something loose during install of the inlets. I haven't spent much time with the car through the holidays, so I need to get back on it.
If yours didn't start until you had the inlets installed, perhaps this is a solid clue in your case.

Yours could be an exhaust leak from removing the DP's. Did they change the gasket between the turbo and DP's?

Perhaps also find out if they removed the intake manifold, which they may have to give them a bit more room to work. This could have created a vacuum leak there...

It is definitely strange that your problem started after inlet install. For most people, including me, its been a gradual development, although mine has been really good the last week or so
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #83
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

What i would suggest is simplifying as much as possible, and logging different parameters. Stock rom, 98 octane, and start logging. I know you said you STFT and AFR moves up and down with the oscillation, but that could be normal if the load requested is moving up and down too.You want to identify what is driving the oscillation, not what is following it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Have you had VTL's walnut blast done?

When I was having oscillation issues at low speeds, i came across the dreaded bearing ledge issue....

This guy had rough idle etc thought he had bearing ledge issue it and was solved by intake clean

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697385

I know you've said it before that your car idles fine, so most likely not related...
After the walnut blasting he said it still did it. On the second page he said what the fix was for him:

"Yep my problem wasn't the bearing ledge after all. Mix of vacuum leaks and turbos.. Hard to diagnose issues on this car!"

Last edited by T1M; 01-09-2016 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 10:53 PM   #84
harms
Captain
Australia
Rep

Update:

Changed the valve cover in the hope it was something in the integrated PCV system causing the issue. No luck unfortunately.

Had a chat to a service adviser at BMW too, and he wasn't too sure and said all the stuff I've done are all the things they would do too.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 02:27 AM   #85
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Update:

Changed the valve cover in the hope it was something in the integrated PCV system causing the issue. No luck unfortunately.

Had a chat to a service adviser at BMW too, and he wasn't too sure and said all the stuff I've done are all the things they would do too.
Jebus mate.. what next? congrats by the way on the big news...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 05:18 AM   #86
harms
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Jebus mate.. what next? congrats by the way on the big news...
Dunno mate, i'm running out of ideas.

I'm going to replace the intake manifold gaskets and throttle body gasket in case its losing vacuum seal there. Long shot, i reckon there would be other boost problems if that was the case, but you never know.

And thanks mate We bought our first place too, so its all happening!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #87
mastamike911
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Convertible

Garage List
harms Would you be able to tell me if what you're experiencing is the same as what I am? http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1223877
      02-10-2016, 02:01 AM   #88
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Have you got this sorted yet?
Appreciate 0