E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E91 RR Dust Shield / E-Brake Backing Plate Removal

11-27-2022, 12:07 PM   #1
pbedrosi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

E91 RR Dust Shield / E-Brake Backing Plate Removal

I'm trying to remove the rear brake dust shield and the emergency brake backing plate on my E91. I need to remove these to get more working space for the hub/bearing replacement, and the dust shield on the other side is completely rusted and loose in place.

In the attached picture I removed the 4 visible bolts. x2 10mm bolts marked in yellow, and 2x 16mm very short bolts marked in red.

I've searched everywhere and there is no video or instructions on how to remove, leading me to believe that mine are rusted in pace and need force to remove. Do I just need to pound these from behind?

As a side note, as I'm searching for this topic I found a tread on rear brake squealing and backing plate contact, etc...In the green area marked on the photo you can see shiny metal...there was nothing shiny anywhere underneath this car. I think the parking brake shield was rubbing on the rotor. Another reason I want to remove it to grind away some of this edge.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Mike K169.00
      11-27-2022, 09:26 PM   #2
pbedrosi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

Solved. It took a large screwdriver betlween dust sield and backing plate, down the bump at 12 o’clock position, and quick wack with a hammer.
Appreciate 1
Mike K169.00