E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Mini Cooper S Roof Problem

05-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
umut335i
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible 2007

Mini Cooper S Roof Problem

Hey Guys,

I know this is an e90 forum but my friends Mini Cooper S roof has stopped working, he is unsure if its a mechanical or electrical issue but was wondering if there was anywhere cheap and good to get this looked at near south east London...

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by umut335i View Post
Hey Guys,

I know this is an e90 forum but my friends Mini Cooper S roof has stopped working, he is unsure if its a mechanical or electrical issue but was wondering if there was anywhere cheap and good to get this looked at near south east London...

Thanks in advance!
These do go wrong Umut, the whole casette if its panoramic sunroof are serious money and are a pain to remove/replace Its known on many BMW's as well as the Mini.

You can sometimes find that the roof may have lost its way and may need reinitilising (you can do this via diagnostic) if and only if the service to it has been shut down(usually lack of use/poor battery)but they are an issue most people leave them well alone after they've been told there's an issue and the cost to put it right.

You can some times grease/lube the various components up, the sliders can become contaminated with moss and stuff like that once all cleaned out they can sometimes come back to life, you can use Halfords 3-IN-ONE Professional White Lithium Grease 400ml its not unlike the delaer spec grease used, though be careful as its a tad messy. You'll need to lubricate the runners as well but clean them thoroughly as they do get caked up.

In the heat for instance its been known for the rubbers to swell up and create a "friction" type issue best thing is going forward perhaps is to vasoline the rubbers to prevent them drying up but irregualr use can crate issues and this isn't only a BMW Mini type issues other manufacturers have the same issues I worked for Renault for 5 years saw a fair few Laguna's, Clio's Espace's with the same type of problems.

If you get no joy a call to BMW may help as I understand there have been a good few Mini customers knocking at their door re these sort of problems

Sorry can't be more assistance than that
      05-06-2015, 05:30 AM   #3
umut335i
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
These do go wrong Umut, the whole casette if its panoramic sunroof are serious money and are a pain to remove/replace Its known on many BMW's as well as the Mini.

You can sometimes find that the roof may have lost its way and may need reinitilising (you can do this via diagnostic) if and only if the service to it has been shut down(usually lack of use/poor battery)but they are an issue most people leave them well alone after they've been told there's an issue and the cost to put it right.

You can some times grease/lube the various components up, the sliders can become contaminated with moss and stuff like that once all cleaned out they can sometimes come back to life, you can use Halfords 3-IN-ONE Professional White Lithium Grease 400ml its not unlike the delaer spec grease used, though be careful as its a tad messy. You'll need to lubricate the runners as well but clean them thoroughly as they do get caked up.

In the heat for instance its been known for the rubbers to swell up and create a "friction" type issue best thing is going forward perhaps is to vasoline the rubbers to prevent them drying up but irregualr use can crate issues and this isn't only a BMW Mini type issues other manufacturers have the same issues I worked for Renault for 5 years saw a fair few Laguna's, Clio's Espace's with the same type of problems.

If you get no joy a call to BMW may help as I understand there have been a good few Mini customers knocking at their door re these sort of problems

Sorry can't be more assistance than that
Thank you Steve, I'll forward this information over! Very much appreciated!!
Appreciate 0