E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Need advice! Rear Passenger shock possibly leaking?!

05-29-2015, 04:23 PM   #1
MiKc
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i

Exclamation Need advice! Rear Passenger shock possibly leaking?!

Hi guys,

Any help would be appreciated as I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not I need to replace the shocks or not. Now onto my questions:

My rear passenger shock might possibly be leaking? Had my car aligned at the shop where I was informed that the shock was covered with oil. Now, from what I've read, it is okay as long as its not at the stage where oil is dripping from the shock? is that true?

In addition, they gave me a quote to replace that one shock. However, I've also read that it is better to replace both rear at the same time? The car is currently sitting at 70,000km

Since my rear driver side is completely fine, no leakage what-so-ever, would it be possible for me to just keep driving as is and wait til both passenger and driver side are out before I replace anything?

Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKc View Post
it is okay as long as its not at the stage where oil is dripping from the shock? is that true?

not true, could be bad even without showing oil, but if you do, then yes, 100%

In addition, they gave me a quote to replace that one shock. However, I've also read that it is better to replace both rear at the same time? The car is currently sitting at 70,000km

correct, is better to replace them in pairs, just like tires, brakes etc...
additionally, KM don't matter much, mostly weather and road condition.

Since my rear driver side is completely fine, no leakage what-so-ever, would it be possible for me to just keep driving as is and wait til both passenger and driver side are out before I replace anything?

you can wait, but make sure you replace it before winter because leaky shocks freeze and can do chassis damage when they do
go with aftermarket like Koni or Bilstein because they offer life time warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Replace all the shocks now and enjoy a much better car afterwards. 2 birds/1 stone.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Rear shocks are fairly cheap and simple to replace. Just do both now and enjoy the better ride/handling.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 01:22 AM   #5
MiKc
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
go with aftermarket like Koni or Bilstein because they offer life time warranty.
Sounds good! Any advice which one to pick?
I've seen people using B4 and B8. B8 is more than double the price of B4, is it that worth it?
As for B4, I heard someone saying it is not a straight swap of oem suspension? Since it needs a shorter spring or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Replace all the shocks now and enjoy a much better car afterwards. 2 birds/1 stone.
Whoaaaa I'm just thinking of replacing the rears haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post
Rear shocks are fairly cheap and simple to replace. Just do both now and enjoy the better ride/handling.
Ya...I really should replace them both but its just that the rear driver side is still perfectly fine. Do you think I can wait till drive side goes out before I replace both? Or it is not good for the car at its current stage?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 03:57 AM   #6
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Just replace both rear shocks now. There's no way to tell if or when the other shock will blow. A blown shock can cause traction issues and unpredictable handling, so fixing it sooner is better than later. Replace as a pair so both sides will perform the same.

It's super easy and cheap to do the rear shocks. You can even do it yourself if you're handy with tools, and it doesn't require loosening any suspension arms, so you don't even need an alignment after. Remove trunk lining, take wheel off, and the shock is just held on by one nut at the top and one nut at the bottom.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

You don't need alignment even if you replace the front. For daily driver I would recommend Koni FSD. A lot of vendors have them on sale now. The ride will be very similar to OEM but they have lifetime waranty
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 05:05 PM   #8
MiKc
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Just replace both rear shocks now. There's no way to tell if or when the other shock will blow. A blown shock can cause traction issues and unpredictable handling, so fixing it sooner is better than later. Replace as a pair so both sides will perform the same.

It's super easy and cheap to do the rear shocks. You can even do it yourself if you're handy with tools, and it doesn't require loosening any suspension arms, so you don't even need an alignment after. Remove trunk lining, take wheel off, and the shock is just held on by one nut at the top and one nut at the bottom.
Ahh, very good info. Thanks a lot!
unpredictable handling, that sounds unsafe. I will replace both then. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
You don't need alignment even if you replace the front. For daily driver I would recommend Koni FSD. A lot of vendors have them on sale now. The ride will be very similar to OEM but they have lifetime waranty
Konis'..ya I've heard a lot of good things about them. Do you have recommendation on which vendor to go to for suspension? I saw Koni FSD as a set of four...hopefully they can sell separately, just the rears

Last edited by MiKc; 05-31-2015 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #9
only1harry
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive

I would do all 4 (front & rear), unless you are going with OEM shocks in the rear.

I have never replaced 2 shocks with aftermarket and kept 2 of the stock shocks. That's not very wise since the aftermarket shocks do a better job. You car is going to have more understeer than before if you just swap out the rear ones with better shocks. You will have a lot more traction in the rear which means the front of the car will be pushing on the turns resulting in more understeer. You can avoid that by installing all 4 shocks on your car with the same brand/model strut/shock. It's no big deal, you can always do the front later, but might as well do it all together and have your car handle right from the start.

Harry