E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i oscillation / surging

10-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #45
335i E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavS1 View Post
wastegates sitting open will cause lag/boost coming in later than normal but wouldn't affect it flat out. Metalic noise may have been wastegate penny's rattling about as they wouldnt have been held shut against the turbine.
Hi

I know keeping the wastegates open should only result in a laggy throttle with standard software. However is it not possible when running much higher boost on a remap that it could cause irregular boost problems?

Maybe the ecu once mapped with wastegates open could be constantly trying to adjust to compensate the lag?

I'm obviously no expert but it sounds possible no?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #46
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I wouldnt have thought so, but I can't say for sure!
      10-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #47
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I wouldnt have thought so, but I can't say for sure!
Thanks for the imput davs1... It's a tuffy!!

Taking the car to a dyno dyagnostics spcialst that also instal for Evolve this weekend.

If the car is looks healthy on the dyno with no issues Then I'll evolve it while I'm there and see how I get on.

At least if there is another underlying issue the dyno should help identifiy it.

I'll report back!!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #48
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Good luck, i'll check back at weekend to see results!

personally i'd leave it standard until you find the problem, but evolve may fix it if its ECU related...its got to be boost/boost control related!
      10-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #49
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good luck, i'll check back at weekend to see results!

personally i'd leave it standard until you find the problem, but evolve may fix it if its ECU related...its got to be boost/boost control related!
Agreed it's definatley boost, Its now had new actuators, oem dvs and boost control solanoids.

I'm gonna get them go check for boost leaks and check boost against boost targets, AFR etc. Only if the car is performing A1 will the map go on.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #50
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

I was on track with an M car owner last week and he was less than complimentary about Evolve and the tuning they did for him.
Thats three ina short space of time I have heard of, which is a surprise given the high esteem they are held in on this board.
      10-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #51
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
I was on track with an M car owner last week and he was less than complimentary about Evolve and the tuning they did for him.
Thats three ina short space of time I have heard of, which is a surprise given the high esteem they are held in on this board.
Hi Steve...

The reason I've chosen Evolve is they have a local agent that I can also run some dyno diagostics with which is somthing I couldn't do with DMS.

DMS have been 1st class as far as customer service goes and really did bend over backwards to help. If I was local to them I have no doubt that they would have sorted the fault out.

However with the distance involved Manchester - southampton it wasn't going to work.

I'm sure every tuner has a mapping issue at times with certain customersand not everyones gonna be happy!! I absolutley appreciate your heads up but for
me Evolve have been mapping the n54 engine for years now and I've read many great reviews.

Booked in on Monday, will report back!!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #52
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Quote:
We try our hardest to keep all of our customers happy. In fact if they are not totally satisfied we refund the customers money and return their cars back to standard. This has only happened on a handful of times. You can't please all the people all the time but we try our hardest and are held in high esteem not only on this forum but on others we sponsor because of this.

We are approachable and customers know they can come back to us with any issues/concerns they may have. I am surprised that a customer is complaining about us to other people rather than to us directly which is surely the sensible thing to do.

If you see the guy again please ask him to get in touch so we can resolve any issues he may have.

What are the other 2 that you have heard of in short period of time? If we are unaware of any issues then we would like the chance to address them.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #53
m1bjr
United Kingdom
Rep

If the other guys don't want to contact you but feel the need to discuss with relative strangers then that is unfortunate.
Not every one is confident or motivated to seek a solution and often they just drift away.
This in my experience in my field too, but not much anyone can do about it and its a shame for all concerned.

Good luck sorting this guys problems, at least he's still on the radar.
      10-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #54
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Imran, I wouldnt get too hung up on these idiots that moan about you without coming back to resolve whatever issue it is they have with yourselfs, I read about the company I work for all the time and the utter crap that is spouted by them on the internet is crazy, and these guys are effectively doing you out of business by putting others off, for what's usually a miss understanding or just plain lies.

If they dont want to come and sort the issue with you before going public on the internet then they are not worth losing sleep over!

/rant over.
      10-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #55
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Totally agree with all of the above...

Very much looking forward to putting the car on the dyno on Monday. With the experience Sal an Imran have with the n54 and thier dyno dyagnostic skills I'm hoping we can weed out the boost issue once and for all!!

No pressure Imran...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #56
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Afternoon all

So, here's the update...

As you all know I’ve had continuous boost problems over the last 6 months. As per my previous post every time I replaced a part I though I’d solved the problem only for it to return within a day or 2. I absolutely forgive any of you that though (this guys just crazy) as I’d post one day that the car was 100% and absolutely flying and the next day was playing up again.

I took the decision to have the DMS remap taken off the car a couple of months ago and had the very latest BMW software installed. I noticed straight away that the car was much less laggy with the new software which lead me to believe that this could have been the cause of my boost problems all along. I had new actuators fitted by a main BMW dealer 6 months ago and it’s quite clear now that they didn't reprogram the car with the wastegate retrofit software which would have returned the wastegates back to their original and correct closed position.

Whilst this laggy software ran fine during the time the car was standard each and every time I had the DMS map put back on the car would quickly run in to boost problems, surging or pulsing. This was nothing to do with the DMS software being at fault it just simply didn’t marry well with my car with its laggy software.

So I ran the car standard, (completely) standard for a month with the new lag free software, even replaced the Forge DV’s to OEM’s and the car ran perfectly. Took it down to Evolve to see Sal and Imran 2 weeks ago and for the 1st time since I’ve owned it I’ve had 2 full weeks of driving bliss with not a single sign of any of the previous boost problems.

The Dyno before and after was as below:

Before (standard): 315.5 hp / 335 ftlb
After (stage 1 Evolve) 377.3 hp / 397 ftlb

I have attached a copy of the Dyno run, not sure how to paste in. Imran said it was one of the smoothest boost curves he has seen and said it was a lot to do with the latest standard software that BMW have just installed that made for a great foundation for their stage 1.

I will always stand by the fact that it was by car and its standard laggy software that caused the DMS remap to respond badly. The reason I went with Evolve was that I wanted to put the car on a dyno at the point of the map going on so I could see what was going on with the boost any DMS in Southampton was just too far.

Thank you all for your help over the last 6 months and for putting up with what must have seemed like some very erratic threads & posts. I can’t tell you how good it feels not to be constantly wondering WTF is wrong with my car.

So conclusion is, if your car has the laggy BMW software there is a very good chance that it won’t perform as it should when mapped.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Evolve Dyno.pdf (273.7 KB, 124 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #57
Yahoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

Good news - Evolve have done a great job on my stage 3 335i.

You can really enjoy the car now - good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 03:12 PM   #58
m1bjr
United Kingdom
Rep

I have had the JB3 on old software, new software, and the latest HPFP patch.
There was no difference in performance between any version with a Juicebox 3, flawless operation.

I wish people would quote Wheel Horsepower, as that is the only measured value.
There is no logic to quoting flywheel output which is at best an educated guess.

11-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #59
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
Good news - Evolve have done a great job on my stage 3 335i.

You can really enjoy the car now - good luck.
Hi

I've got a shiny pair of AR Design catless downpipes in the garage. I ordered them with the catch can which is now on the car.

I'm going to wait until the new year until I fit them as I want to give the car another month or so to be sure the previous boost issues don't return. Also have to save up for the Forge intercooler.

Did you go straight to stage 3 or were you already on stage 1? How does stage 3 feel, bloody quick no??

I really look after my car, change the oil every 5k never drive it hard until it's warm and let it cool down after a blast & fitted the OCC. However my only reservation with the stage 3 are the turbos. Mines now done 55k and although stage 3 is less than 15psi I'm not sure if I've left it too late for my car.

What do you think? I don't drive it like I stole it constantly and will never track it but obviously give it the beans when the moment arises.

I've read some posts on here that the turbos are only good for 70k but I don't know if that's bs, hope so!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #60
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have had the JB3 on old software, new software, and the latest HPFP patch.
There was no difference in performance between any version with a Juicebox 3, flawless operation.

There is no logic to quoting flywheel output which is at best an educated guess.

Simple, they want to seem competitive as everyone else quotes flywheel. I seriously doubt you've had the laggy software on your car as you would know the diffrence, it's night and day.

The map on a car with the wastegates held open as default resulted in the power being delivered as follows... Nothing, nothing, then wham wastegates closed and all power is delivered at once which resulted it the tyres lighting up and an early drop
off in boost. This is what was causing my ecu to keep constany adjusting boost etc as it wasn't happy with the explosion of boost when the wastegates finally closed.

With the wastegates closed the car now picks up I instantly and power is delivered progressively all the way to 6k.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #61
m1bjr
United Kingdom
Rep

So has the 'mapper' refunded your costs then?
      11-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #62
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So has the 'mapper' refunded your costs then?
DMS have been absolutley spot on... As I said the problem was with my car and not their map. They came out go me several times, I really couldn't have asked for a better service.

And yes they refunded!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #63
Yahoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i E92 View Post
Hi

I've got a shiny pair of AR Design catless downpipes in the garage. I ordered them with the catch can which is now on the car.

I'm going to wait until the new year until I fit them as I want to give the car another month or so to be sure the previous boost issues don't return. Also have to save up for the Forge intercooler.

Did you go straight to stage 3 or were you already on stage 1? How does stage 3 feel, bloody quick no??

I really look after my car, change the oil every 5k never drive it hard until it's warm and let it cool down after a blast & fitted the OCC. However my only reservation with the stage 3 are the turbos. Mines now done 55k and although stage 3 is less than 15psi I'm not sure if I've left it too late for my car.

What do you think? I don't drive it like I stole it constantly and will never track it but obviously give it the beans when the moment arises.

I've read some posts on here that the turbos are only good for 70k but I don't know if that's bs, hope so!!
AR catless DPs are great - they make the car sound lovely and make it really responsive.

My car is currently running aprox 12.5psi peak and dyno'd circa 420 bhp - this is nicely within what I am comfortable running the turbos at. I have enquired about turning up the boost towards 1 bar, we will see.

I was running stage 3, map 3 on a JB3 previously - but fancied a change. I'm really happy with the change.

My policy has been to run supporting mods and not overboost the car to get good bhp. I run an AMS intercooler, which appears to work very nicely on my car.

Remember - the stock ECU map will run upto 0.8 bar (11.5psi) in certain conditions. Running anything up to 14psi is pretty safe on this application imo. Going above this is fine in the short and medium terms, but I'm not sure about the long term.

BTW - an OCC catch can is essential on even a stock 335i - blow by is a PITA on the N54.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 05:01 AM   #64
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
AR catless DPs are great - they make the car sound lovely and make it really responsive.

My car is currently running aprox 12.5psi peak and dyno'd circa 420 bhp - this is nicely within what I am comfortable running the turbos at. I have enquired about turning up the boost towards 1 bar, we will see.

I was running stage 3, map 3 on a JB3 previously - but fancied a change. I'm really happy with the change.

My policy has been to run supporting mods and not overboost the car to get good bhp. I run an AMS intercooler, which appears to work very nicely on my car.

Remember - the stock ECU map will run upto 0.8 bar (11.5psi) in certain conditions. Running anything up to 14psi is pretty safe on this application imo. Going above this is fine in the short and medium terms, but I'm not sure about the long term.

BTW - an OCC catch can is essential on even a stock 335i - blow by is a PITA on the N54.
As I Said I’m still going to wait until the NY to fully ensure the car is 100%

I was just concerned as by then it will have 60k and I was thinking if I’d left it a little late for the stage 3. Although looking at it another way the downpipes are going to release back pressure on the turbos and the intercooler is going to keep them cooler.

If you combine that with the regular 5k oil changes and the fact I won’t be tracking the car and not spanking it constantly I would hope I will be ok.

I’ve read conflicting reports regarding turbo life, obviously in the states they run stupidly high boost (some over 20psi) which is why they have problems, the stage 3 Evolve runs around 14.5 psi.

What’s everyone opinion on this, taking the above in to account is 60k a bit late for the stage 3?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #65
A335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

In my opinion, no one really knows about the turbo life of these car's yet. It's all speculation because there is no data to back any of the comments up. In all honesty, tuning of the N54 engine and the long term effects upon the car is still in it's infancy. Therefore most conflicting opinions, at the moment, are more probably to do with swaying customers to purchase one product over another.

On the question between the difference of stage 1 to stage 3 tuning on the 335i, the difference is not really going to be felt unless you are willing to take the car well over 100mph. Up to 100mph, a stage 1 tune is remarkably quick and one which is very hard to improve upon. However, over that speed and whatever the car tops up at, the difference between stage 1 and 3 is night and day.

Yahoo - on achieving 420bhp on 12.5psi of boost, I must say that is one piece of remarkably engineering for the N54 platform. Hopefully, Vish and Terry don't read that because you'll be putting their products to shame.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #66
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:

+1 , that something I'd agree with the yanks on, it is the only logical benchmark figure to quote.

You don't measure your arm length to find out your shoe size..
Appreciate 0