Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Run Flat to Traditional Tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
DCTepper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Run Flat to Traditional Tires

Like many others, I am looking to transition from the OEM run flats to traditional tires. Not only does it save unsprung weight, but they are also significantly less expensive.

For those that have already made the move, is a can of 'slime' or equivalent tire sealant sufficient for emergencies or should I look into other alternatives (i.e. sealant/compressor kit, space saver - if they even make a space-saver spare kit for e90, etc)?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTepper View Post
Like many others, I am looking to transition from the OEM run flats to traditional tires. Not only does it save unsprung weight, but they are also significantly less expensive.

For those that have already made the move, is a can of 'slime' or equivalent tire sealant sufficient for emergencies or should I look into other alternatives (i.e. sealant/compressor kit, space saver - if they even make a space-saver spare kit for e90, etc)?

Thanks!
This : http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...tail.jsp&ID=38

But be warned that any sealant *may* damage your TPMS sensor when used.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Pathy01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

I carry a Slime Kit with compressor, as well as an old school plug kit. I'd much prefer to plug a puncture then to slime up my tire. It's an easy task and I've never had any issue on plugged tires on previous vehicles for upwards of 50k miles through all seasons in the northeast (rain,snow,heat,etc).
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I already did the switch over to non-RFT's.

I carry the ContiComfort Kit referenced by Gary @ Tirerack & the factory 3-series Jacking Kit in my car.

I also have a spare factory wheel that matches what came on the car with full size tire, & get this, also the Compact Spare from Tischer

I don't normally carry either spare in the car - just the Conti Kit and the jack. Never had to use either, so I can't attest for how well the Conti Kit works.

I used to carry the full size spare also in the trunk till I got tired of it taking up all the space and the xtra weight - so I went out and got the Compact Spare. It has less weight and takes up less space, but I soon got tired of lugging it around also...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
I run Tyre Guardian
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
DCTepper
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you all for your insight (with exception to chromisdesigns, who can DIAF)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTepper View Post
Thank you all for your insight (with exception to chromisdesigns, who can DIAF)
You know, there is a tremendous amount of information here, and it's all easily found by searching the forums. Your question has been posted and answered at least a hundred times!

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
DCTepper
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
You know, there is a tremendous amount of information here, and it's all easily found by searching the forums. Your question has been posted and answered at least a hundred times!

Are you STILL talking? I thank you for your tremendous contribution and bromidic use of emoticons, but please go troll someone else's thread now.
Appreciate 0