E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Used car warranty?

12-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
Slow1
Rep
Drives: 135i

Used car warranty?

Hello~

Very soon, I will be looking to purchase a used BMW 335i.
And I have some general questions about warranties and the car itself, to help me with this purchase.
I really hope you guys can help me out with this...

On to the questions:

1. How many types of warranties are there? And what do they cover?

2. Is there any-type of factory warranty available through BMW?(If the seller did not purchase a warranty?)

3. There are a few known issues that I know of; fuel pump, HFPF failure, etc. Does BMW cover any of these recalls/problems? If so, which recalls do they cover? And will they charge me for small fees?

4. If BMW doesn't, will the warranty cover the recalls/ other known issues?

5. Will any of these recalls/known issues cause the car to be immobile?(Not able to be driven, until fixed)

6. What are the needed services for the mileage timeline?(30k, 60k, 100k? I believe.) And when will the stock turbos need to be replaced? Does warranty cover this?

7.. Starting from recalls to other known issues; in a list, how much will they cost to fix?

That should be about it for now... Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Slow1; 12-08-2012 at 01:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

U drive 135i and you don't know the answers?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
+1 same applies to your 135i:

1. How many types of warranties are there? And what do they cover? Many...various things.Call a dealer and aftermarket companies (Carchex was recommended in bimmerforums)

2. Is there any-type of factory warranty available through BMW?(If the seller did not purchase a warranty?)Yes, call your local dealer or and carchex.

3. There are a few known issues that I know of; fuel pump, HFPF failure, etc. Does BMW cover any of these recalls/problems? If so, which recalls do they cover? And will they charge me for small fees? Yes, HPFP 10yrs/120K mi. Turbo/wastegates 8yrs/82K mi. They shouldn't but some dealers try trouble shooting which requires charges if you are out of factory warranty.

4. If BMW doesn't, will the warranty cover the recalls/ other known issues?The warranties above are separate versus your factory warranty.Really depends on the age of the car. factory warranty is 4 yrs/50K mi.

5. Will any of these recalls/known issues cause the car to be immobile?(Not able to be driven, until fixed)Yes, HPFP.

6. What are the needed services for the mileage timeline?(30k, 60k, 100k? I believe.) And when will the stock turbos need to be replaced? Does warranty cover this?Google Mike Miller BMW...turbos will need to be replaced at some point, depends on the age of the car, and the condition of the turbos.

7.. Starting from recalls to other known issues; in a list, how much will they cost to fix?Again, depends on your factory warranty and how good your dealer is at trouble shooting. Many follow procedures for trouble shooting so if you are out of warranty it will cost you.

FYI...there is no definitive answer for some of the questions you are asking. Expect to $$$ on potential repairs if you are buying used. Doing it yourself will save you $$$ in the long run. GL

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

The ext warranty I bought with my 328xi covered the same parts as the one from BMW, except I have 200,000km unlimited time warranty; it cost me $3400 but I have peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Slow1
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
U drive 135i and you don't know the answers?
If I knew the answers, I wouldn't be asking now... would I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
+1 same applies to your 135i:

1. How many types of warranties are there? And what do they cover? Many...various things.Call a dealer and aftermarket companies (Carchex was recommended in bimmerforums)

2. Is there any-type of factory warranty available through BMW?(If the seller did not purchase a warranty?)Yes, call your local dealer or and carchex.

3. There are a few known issues that I know of; fuel pump, HFPF failure, etc. Does BMW cover any of these recalls/problems? If so, which recalls do they cover? And will they charge me for small fees? Yes, HPFP 10yrs/120K mi. Turbo/wastegates 8yrs/82K mi. They shouldn't but some dealers try trouble shooting which requires charges if you are out of factory warranty.

4. If BMW doesn't, will the warranty cover the recalls/ other known issues?The warranties above are separate versus your factory warranty.Really depends on the age of the car. factory warranty is 4 yrs/50K mi.

5. Will any of these recalls/known issues cause the car to be immobile?(Not able to be driven, until fixed)Yes, HPFP.

6. What are the needed services for the mileage timeline?(30k, 60k, 100k? I believe.) And when will the stock turbos need to be replaced? Does warranty cover this?Google Mike Miller BMW...turbos will need to be replaced at some point, depends on the age of the car, and the condition of the turbos.

7.. Starting from recalls to other known issues; in a list, how much will they cost to fix?Again, depends on your factory warranty and how good your dealer is at trouble shooting. Many follow procedures for trouble shooting so if you are out of warranty it will cost you.

FYI...there is no definitive answer for some of the questions you are asking. Expect to $$$ on potential repairs if you are buying used. Doing it yourself will save you $$$ in the long run. GL
I'm planning to buy a used 335i. So does that mean I will only get previous owners 'warranties' through the original dealership?

So, no matter what BMW dealership, they will cover HPFP failure, and turbo replacement?(Without warranty??) and other recalls??
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
GSDOUBLEU
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMWeh View Post
The ext warranty I bought with my 328xi covered the same parts as the one from BMW, except I have 200,000km unlimited time warranty; it cost me $3400 but I have peace of mind.
what warranty is this?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU View Post
what warranty is this?
http://www.nationwideautowarranty.com/200000km.html
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

I got a 3 month warranty with my new used 328xi wagon to start with and you really have to read the fine print.

There are deductibles on some warranties per visit....some do not cover diagnostics, brake pads, tires, and other regular maintenance stuff....but do cover major repairs and parts.

I would ask your service tech or potential service tech or mechanic who THEY like to use...thats probably the best person to ask...Its like any body shop you go to...some insurance companies are a real pain to work with while others are very good and reasonable.....

My warranty only covers up to 60.00/hr or something on approved work.

There is a lot of fine print in mine, but its better than nothing if something goes awry...I also get some money towards loaner or rental cars if need be and towing....ect.....

good luck with it...you will pay heavily for a decent plan, but it may be worth your piece of mind....

JP
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
cookie.MONSTER
Major
Rep
Drives: VW CC

Im purchasing a 2008 335i, but we have decided to not get the 2 year 24k warranty. its in great shape alll main done, car fax and vin both check out. Yeah it would be a 6600 dollar peace of mind but i would rather dave that money then rather fork out an extra 50 each month. But its the risk i take
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
cookie.MONSTER
Major
Rep
Drives: VW CC

Appreciate 0