E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Canada Classifieds Section > WTB: large/upgrade oil cooler for 2011 335xi



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
DieselDrink
New Member
DieselDrink's Avatar
Canada
3
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: 2011 335 xi E90
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Anybody have any leads or know good place to buy?

Are there large oil coolers for N55 other than the Dinan product?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 03:19 AM   #2
jakkuh
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Better to just get an aftermarket performance coolant radiator, will make a bigger difference.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
DieselDrink
New Member
DieselDrink's Avatar
Canada
3
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: 2011 335 xi E90
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkuh View Post
Better to just get an aftermarket performance coolant radiator, will make a bigger difference.
I thought an upgraded oil cooler and intercooler were some primary things to take care of before addding really big power. So you're saying radiator as well?

I have a 2011 335 e90 with Dinan stage 2 on it. Has oil cooler as came with Performance package. That's all working great, but if I chip up for their, need intercooler, oil cooler no?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
jakkuh
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrink View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkuh View Post
Better to just get an aftermarket performance coolant radiator, will make a bigger difference.
I thought an upgraded oil cooler and intercooler were some primary things to take care of before addding really big power. So you're saying radiator as well?

I have a 2011 335 e90 with Dinan stage 2 on it. Has oil cooler as came with Performance package. That's all working great, but if I chip up for their, need intercooler, oil cooler no?
You don't need the supplementary oil cooler for the tune, but if you're tracking it's likely you will overheat.

The thing people don't understand is that the primary coolant system on our and most vehicles is the coolant system, not the oil. Just because we have oil temp gauges, doesn't mean coolant temp doesn't matter. In fact, IIRC, the overheat protection system in our cars bases itself on coolant temp, not oil.

While the oil does a fair amount of cooling and circulating heat, it's a small amount comparatively, so when you add oil coolers and what have you it doesn't make a huge difference.

What can make a huge difference is a larger coolant radiator, you just need to make sure you get the appropriate one for your car (automatic cars have a transmission cooler in the bottom of the coolant rad, while manual cars do not)
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
DieselDrink
New Member
DieselDrink's Avatar
Canada
3
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: 2011 335 xi E90
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkuh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrink View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkuh View Post
Better to just get an aftermarket performance coolant radiator, will make a bigger difference.
I thought an upgraded oil cooler and intercooler were some primary things to take care of before addding really big power. So you're saying radiator as well?

I have a 2011 335 e90 with Dinan stage 2 on it. Has oil cooler as came with Performance package. That's all working great, but if I chip up for their, need intercooler, oil cooler no?
You don't need the supplementary oil cooler for the tune, but if you're tracking it's likely you will overheat.

The thing people don't understand is that the primary coolant system on our and most vehicles is the coolant system, not the oil. Just because we have oil temp gauges, doesn't mean coolant temp doesn't matter. In fact, IIRC, the overheat protection system in our cars bases itself on coolant temp, not oil.

While the oil does a fair amount of cooling and circulating heat, it's a small amount comparatively, so when you add oil coolers and what have you it doesn't make a huge difference.

What can make a huge difference is a larger coolant radiator, you just need to make sure you get the appropriate one for your car (automatic cars have a transmission cooler in the bottom of the coolant rad, while manual cars do not)
Thanks for all the feedback Jakkuh. What you say makes sense.

Do you have any vendor links or links as examples of radiator products?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #6
jakkuh
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrink View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkuh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrink View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkuh View Post
Better to just get an aftermarket performance coolant radiator, will make a bigger difference.
I thought an upgraded oil cooler and intercooler were some primary things to take care of before addding really big power. So you're saying radiator as well?

I have a 2011 335 e90 with Dinan stage 2 on it. Has oil cooler as came with Performance package. That's all working great, but if I chip up for their, need intercooler, oil cooler no?
You don't need the supplementary oil cooler for the tune, but if you're tracking it's likely you will overheat.

The thing people don't understand is that the primary coolant system on our and most vehicles is the coolant system, not the oil. Just because we have oil temp gauges, doesn't mean coolant temp doesn't matter. In fact, IIRC, the overheat protection system in our cars bases itself on coolant temp, not oil.

While the oil does a fair amount of cooling and circulating heat, it's a small amount comparatively, so when you add oil coolers and what have you it doesn't make a huge difference.

What can make a huge difference is a larger coolant radiator, you just need to make sure you get the appropriate one for your car (automatic cars have a transmission cooler in the bottom of the coolant rad, while manual cars do not)
Thanks for all the feedback Jakkuh. What you say makes sense.

Do you have any vendor links or links as examples of radiator products?
https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-33...ance/Radiator/

Not sure if your car is an E90 or E92, also not sure if it makes a diffference but I'd check compatibility.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST