E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Have you guys ever cancelled a car being ordered?

08-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
pmd
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DSB 6MT

Have you guys ever cancelled a car being ordered?

Hey guys,

I\'m just wondering whether any of you had any experiencing cancelling a car being ordered due to unemployment, relocation, etc. Were you able to get your deposit back from the dealer? The situation I\'m in at the moment is that I lost my job and there is no way I can take delivery till I find something else. My car got delayed to be produced.. It will be produced in September while the original contract said I would be taking delivery at the end of August.

Have any of you had any experience dealing with situations like this?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
G-Mach1
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F34 - 2014 335 xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd View Post
Hey guys,

I\'m just wondering whether any of you had any experiencing cancelling a car being ordered due to unemployment, relocation, etc. Were you able to get your deposit back from the dealer? The situation I\'m in at the moment is that I lost my job and there is no way I can take delivery till I find something else. My car got delayed to be produced.. It will be produced in September while the original contract said I would be taking delivery at the end of August.

Have any of you had any experience dealing with situations like this?
Sorry to hear your situvation. Hopefully you will find another job pretty soon.

Now back to your question, my brother did cancel his order and the dealer gave the deposit back. No questions asked. I am sure if you explain the situvation to the dealer they will understand.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mach1 View Post
Sorry to hear your situvation. Hopefully you will find another job pretty soon.

Now back to your question, my brother did cancel his order and the dealer gave the deposit back. No questions asked. I am sure if you explain the situvation to the dealer they will understand.
Good luck
I am sorry to here about the job, I am sure you will bounce back!

I believe G-Mach1 is right as long as you did take delivery of the car, you should be able to get your money back.

By the way what did you order?

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
pmd
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
I am sorry to here about the job, I am sure you will bounce back!

I believe G-Mach1 is right as long as you did take delivery of the car, you should be able to get your money back.

By the way what did you order?
I actually ordered a 2011 328i in deep sea blue on beige leatherette, along with sport pkg, navigation pkg and BMW Apps. I am planning on visiting the dealer today and hopefully they'll understand my situation and I can get my money back.

If I do get a job soon, maybe I should wait it out and get a F30 since the e90 will be an older model.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
nospleeny
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 528xi

Dealer will refund your deposit without problems. They are, however, permitted to take any fees/costs associated with the production of your vehicle from your deposit if they incurred any. This will be itemized on a receipt for you if you are charged any.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
I actually ordered a 2011 328i in deep sea blue on beige leatherette, along with sport pkg, navigation pkg and BMW Apps. I am planning on visiting the dealer today and hopefully they'll understand my situation and I can get my money back.

If I do get a job soon, maybe I should wait it out and get a F30 since the e90 will be an older model.
Good luck and let us know what happens.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
pmd
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospleeny View Post
Dealer will refund your deposit without problems. They are, however, permitted to take any fees/costs associated with the production of your vehicle from your deposit if they incurred any. This will be itemized on a receipt for you if you are charged any.
I just came back from the dealer and it turns out that I will lose my deposit if I don't take delivery. Their main reason is that this is a special ordered RWD car and they had a hard time trying to have this car made in the factory since most of the cars produced for the North American market are AWD. According to them, not a lot of people buy RWD cars as well. I'm not sure this is BS or not. The car in fact will be delivered by the end of September as a VIN has already been produced. However, they are willing to hold the car for me till the end of November as soon as I get back on to my feet.

I guess I have to weigh out my options and decide on what actions to take.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

Quote:
I just came back from the dealer and it turns out that I will lose my deposit if I don't take delivery. Their main reason is that this is a special ordered RWD car and they had a hard time trying to have this car made in the factory since most of the cars produced for the North American market are AWD. According to them, not a lot of people buy RWD cars as well. I'm not sure this is BS or not. The car in fact will be delivered by the end of September as a VIN has already been produced. However, they are willing to hold the car for me till the end of November as soon as I get back on to my feet.

Sorry about the loss of your job If the VIN has already been produced, then it is understandable. This is the very reason why they require you to put a deposit, so they don't lose too much money every time someone backs out.

But special ordered RWD? That's just BS. The BMW Canada website still shows RWD cars for most choices. Besides, they just click a few buttons on their computer to order the car, there is nothing difficult about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:

How much was the deposit. Do a cost benefit on legal action vs. value of deposit then decide action.
      08-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
pmd
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
How much was the deposit. Do a cost benefit on legal action vs. value of deposit then decide action.
The deposit was $1500. I'm pretty sure that if I do take legal action it will cost me the same amount or maybe I'll save around $300 - $500.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

Special ordered RWD 3-er unfortunately is the reality. Few months back I had a hard time find non X-drive coupe for a test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkStory View Post
Sorry about the loss of your job If the VIN has already been produced, then it is understandable. This is the very reason why they require you to put a deposit, so they don't lose too much money every time someone backs out.

But special ordered RWD? That's just BS. The BMW Canada website still shows RWD cars for most choices. Besides, they just click a few buttons on their computer to order the car, there is nothing difficult about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #12
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

I call "BS", They have never had a problem finding me a rear wheel drive BMW to drive, they are full of it.

Too bad you don't have a friend that knows their stuff to help you to get most of your money back.

That is a big pile of $hit!! What dealer is this?

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 11:01 PM   #13
vantage_coupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
I call "BS", They have never had a problem finding me a rear wheel drive BMW to drive, they are full of it.

Too bad you don't have a friend that knows their stuff to help you to get most of your money back.

That is a big pile of $hit!! What dealer is this?
subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 11:56 PM   #14
pmd
Canada
Rep

Just PM'd both of y'all
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 12:35 AM   #15
PBureno
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
Special ordered RWD 3-er unfortunately is the reality. Few months back I had a hard time find non X-drive coupe for a test drive.
Seriously? wow...I thought BMW's bread and butter was their RWD?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #16
e90-328i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i RWD!

rwd, very rare in 3er. myself and another member waited 4 months to get one and we ordered from different dealers. bmw canada does not like rwd being sold. however they will sell it if you have the right options on it.

maybe list was options etc you ordered and maybe it might be the exact car a member here or on maxbimmer is shopping for and see if the dealer will reverse your payment if you find somebody to take it for the same cost etc--long shot, but you never know.

Last edited by e90-328i; 09-01-2011 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #17
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
legal action on what basis? if you sign a contract to buy something and you fail to close, why do you think you can sue them? It's a been a while since I bought my car so I don't remember what I signed when I ordered it, but a contract is a contract is a contract and unless there is something that says you are entitled to back out prior to a specific date and get your deposit back, you are SOL.
      09-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #18
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
legal action on what basis? if you sign a contract to buy something and you fail to close, why do you think you can sue them? It's a been a while since I bought my car so I don't remember what I signed when I ordered it, but a contract is a contract is a contract and unless there is something that says you are entitled to back out prior to a specific date and get your deposit back, you are SOL.
That is not the way the law works. At most, the dealer is entitled to withhold the actual costs they incurred by the cancellation of the order, but they cannot just arbitrarily withhold the entire deposit.
      09-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #19
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

I was in the exact situation as you (OP) about 10 years ago when I put down a $2000 deposit for Nissan 350Z, I got the laid off notice after 1 month I did the transaction and I went in with my explanation of having to cancel the order and the dealer agreed (somewhat unwillingly) and refunded my entire deposit.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #20
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Given the fact that your delivery date got delayed, can't you use that in your favour in any manner?

For a company like BMW though, I would assume they'd understand the situation though.

Good luck and I sincerely hope you find an even better job soon!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #21
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring335 View Post
That is not the way the law works. At most, the dealer is entitled to withhold the actual costs they incurred by the cancellation of the order, but they cannot just arbitrarily withhold the entire deposit.
Really? Is this proivded for in some statute? Because it is contrary to ordinary contract law.
      09-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #22
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe M-Sport

OP, the dealer is being a POS! Both dealers where I went to told me I could cancel my car anytime before I drive out with it, and I'd have my full refund back too. They just said please don't order the car if you're not really ready. I thought you were talking about a $500 deposit, but $1,500? They're probably making more of a profit on the car by you not getting it! If I were you, the least I would do is talk to the manager and agree to give up maybe $500, or you will make sure to advertise your experience all over the internet.
Appreciate 0