E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > DIY Bumper Cover Repaint

01-31-2019, 11:29 AM   #1
xjackhunter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

DIY Bumper Cover Repaint

After weighing my options, I have decided to paint my bumper cover myself, as it is wayyyy cheaper and I'm not looking for absolute perfection. I plan on buying color matched paint from AutomotiveTouchup.com, along with adhesion promoter, primer, and 2k clear from amazon. If anyone has any tips/tricks or suggestions, please let me know. Also, how many cans do you guys think I will need for 2-3 base coats on the bumper, with each can containing 12oz.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
xjackhunter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjackhunter View Post
After weighing my options, I have decided to paint my bumper cover myself, as it is wayyyy cheaper and I'm not looking for absolute perfection. I plan on buying color matched paint from AutomotiveTouchup.com, along with adhesion promoter, primer, and 2k clear from amazon. If anyone has any tips/tricks or suggestions, please let me know. Also, how many cans do you guys think I will need for 2-3 base coats on the bumper, with each can containing 12oz.
Thanks!
It's your car and you are welcome to do what you want - but based on the previous photos of your car that I have seen, doing it with rattle cans will make it substantially worse than what it looks like now.

As such, I don't recommend this plan.

If you are hesitant on cost and just want a 'meh' job to get you through, take it to a Maaco shop or something similar. It will cost you nearly the same as the paint and supplies you are planning to buy ($150 or so) and will be light years better than anything you can do.

If still determined to make this a DIY project, then you must absolutely buy proper automotive paint and use at least a cheap paint gun from harbor freight, or at minimum - a large airbrush.

Just my two cents.

Ok. You seem much more knowledgeable than me on this subject. Idk what I'll do yet. I might try to paint it myself and then just take it to a shop if I can't make it look decent. I really just want to see if I can do it, life skills ya know... I'll keep this thread updated with whatever I end up doing and the results.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 01:46 PM   #3
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Dis gon be good.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
      02-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #4
iwantaw335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i

I did this for my washer covers only. Paint seems solid and shiny. I’ve had rock chips on bumper covers where the paint was poor quality but no rock chips on this cover yet. Since it’s only the covers it was easy. However the paint doesn’t match 100% but close.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 07:21 PM   #5
xjackhunter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaw335 View Post
I did this for my washer covers only. Paint seems solid and shiny. I’ve had rock chips on bumper covers where the paint was poor quality but no rock chips on this cover yet. Since it’s only the covers it was easy. However the paint doesn’t match 100% but close.
Interesting, once I get paid for the month I'll definitely try myself. Wish me luck lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 10:43 PM   #6
FlyingBuckeye3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 335xi

I would recommend Maaco too if you want something cheap. If you do end up DIYing it, I would also recommend blending the bumper in with the surrounding panels. It's likely the paint you purchase will match but even the slightest variance will be noticed and you can minimize that by blending.
Appreciate 0