E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Do coilovers outlast factory suspension or will have to be replaced eventually?

05-22-2019, 03:45 PM   #23
BMWRich
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
No, they seemed to be before but the new design is this.

I think really the only difference between both is that fully threade allows you to modify spring preload independently of ride height.
TheMidnightNarwhal just like you did I ordered and picked up over the border a set of B14's from ECS this past weekend. Once ECS had it in stock I jumped on it since it was on back order at ECS and I think in general from other vendors. I'm going to get a shop to do the install for me.

In prep for the install I wanted to know if there was anything else you changed or refreshed on your suspension when installing coilovers (endlinks, control arms, etc.)?

Is anything else really necessary? I was reading lately endlinks may need to be changed to adjustable when lowering but some say its not needed.

I want to be prepared when I talk to my mechanic on Friday when I am getting my B14's installed.

What did you set the ride height to?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #24
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRich View Post
TheMidnightNarwhal just like you did I ordered and picked up over the border a set of B14's from ECS this past weekend. Once ECS had it in stock I jumped on it since it was on back order at ECS and I think in general from other vendors. I'm going to get a shop to do the install for me.

In prep for the install I wanted to know if there was anything else you changed or refreshed on your suspension when installing coilovers (endlinks, control arms, etc.)?

Is anything else really necessary? I was reading lately endlinks may need to be changed to adjustable when lowering but some say its not needed.

I want to be prepared when I talk to my mechanic on Friday when I am getting my B14's installed.

What did you set the ride height to?
No I did not have to get anything else different. If you have the money or I mean, like, if you aren't a penny pincher like me always a good idea to replace the top mounts for the front and maybe even the rear bushing top mounts depending on milleage... I was only at ~ 105 000KM so I figured ehhh, it can't be that bad. I did end up with a new noise though in the end... but it's only when steering from full lock right and bringing it back in the middle has a slight metal ping and does not always happen. I suspect either my end links or top mounts but I'm to lazy to like remove my end links and drive to test. Like I said the noise it does is nothing that sounds like it's breaking and all.

For the end links with Bilstein you can keep them stock they are at same height/location.

I don't recall what it was set to in terms of milliliters. I kinda just winged it. In the manual it gives you some kind of measurement... but man oh man I couldn't understand how it was supposed to be used in person. Maybe your mechanic who is someone actually like, has mechanical knowledge might know what they meant but I couldn't. Bilstein say it's the optimal or like a good height baseline to adjust within.

One thing to note though is your height will drop a little bit more over the next few weeks before it eventually settles. I'm sorry I don't know how much it is but it's one thing to keep in note before doing an alignment right away and thinking your height is all set.

Like in my rear I had a nice fitment but after 3 days my tires kept rubbing and rubbing over small bumps so had to get it a slightly higher.
Appreciate 0