E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Aluminum Hose Bib Replacement for T-Stat Hose

05-26-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Aluminum Hose Bib Replacement for T-Stat Hose

I've not seen anyone post a DIY for replacing the plastic hose bib on the Thermostat-to-Head coolant hose for the N52 and N54. The same hose bib is used for either engine.

This is a DIY for removal and replacement of the E9X N52 Thermostat-to-Head coolant hose aluminum hose bib. Cutting the band clamp securing the hose bib risks compromising the hose. Breaking up the old, week plastic hose bib is a better in-car solution using the right tools and does not require complete removal of the hose from the engine. I used a large Channel Lock plyers (it is a Stanley tool actually) and I used a Craftsman water hose clamp plyers. This DIY is based on using similar tools. The procedure breaks up the old hose bib inside the hose end and has risk of leaving old pieces of plastic in the cooling system, which could jam the water pump, so you must be very careful to ensure no small broken plastic falls down the hose.

Please see attached .pdf file for detailed instructions.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E90 Waterhose Bib replacement_pics.pdf (618.4 KB, 1175 views)
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-06-2019 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 3
BudVlad359.50
Buug95917117.00
      05-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I'm actually doing this today.

For your other coolant hose DIY, what is the best thing to use as a lubricant for the O-rings in the snap-lock fittings? The Bentley manual doesn't seem to have anything on that and I've read some people use coolant.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post

For your other coolant hose DIY, what is the best thing to use as a lubricant for the O-rings in the snap-lock fittings? The Bentley manual doesn't seem to have anything on that and I've read some people use coolant.
I used spit...

BMW says not to use anything on the O-rings.

I hope the hose bib DIY works for you.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I had to do this repair on my car last year in the parking lot at work when that plastic hose end sheared completely off. I used a small pair of needle nose vice-grips with the jaws wrapped in duct tape to clamp the hose shut below the broken plastic end piece.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post

Undiluted anti-freeze / coolant (the concentrate that you mix 50-50 with water) works good as an o-ring lubricant on cooling system o-rings.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17139.00
      05-28-2019, 05:28 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Per the BMW TIS regarding coolant hose O-rings
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
lab_rat394.50
      05-28-2019, 05:35 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
I had to do this repair on my car last year in the parking lot at work when that plastic hose end sheared completely off. I used a small pair of needle nose vice-grips with the jaws wrapped in duct tape to clamp the hose shut below the broken plastic end piece.

I used this exact tool to pinch the t-stat hose:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:49 AM   #8
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Useful guide OP. Is there anything externally to suggest imminent failure of the OEM bib? Mine's done over 100K yet from the outside it looks in perfect condition. Mind you I do regularly clean the hoses and joints and also do regular changes of coolant...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 06:57 AM   #9
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Useful guide OP. Is there anything externally to suggest imminent failure of the OEM bib? Mine's done over 100K yet from the outside it looks in perfect condition. Mind you I do regularly clean the hoses and joints and also do regular changes of coolant...
Those plastic hose ends degrade from the inside out. Mine looked fine on the outside. Mine is a 2008 335i with around 100,000 miles at the time of failure.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 09:04 AM   #10
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
Those plastic hose ends degrade from the inside out. Mine looked fine on the outside. Mine is a 2008 335i with around 100,000 miles at the time of failure.
Thanks. So what are the symptoms of failure? Coolant leak? Pieces of plastic in the coolant header?
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 09:18 AM   #11
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I used spit...

BMW says not to use anything on the O-rings.

I hope the hose bib DIY works for you.
It worked great. I did this on my 2006 a few years ago, and now with this car I just looked through it to find the torque specs. It also helped refresh my mind on using the bolts to draw the bib in so it wouldn't strip the threads.

I ended up using straight BMW coolant on the o-ring for the upper radiator hose (I also did my OFHG this weekend) and just cleaned everything else really well with no lubricant. Seems to be doing well so far, and no leaks after doing the coolant bleed procedure. I plan on checking for leaks again tonight.

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I replaced all my cooling system hoses at 8 years and 231,000 miles. I didn't inspect the t-stat hose bib at that time because failure of them had not become an issue back then, or at least for the N52. So, the current T-stat hose has been in for a little over 4 years and 144,000. I'd say the plastic was "soft", but still pretty sound. I don't think it was close to failure, but it didn't take much to break it apart.

I also have a Z4 with the N52. The T-stat hose is original, 11 years old with 95,000 miles on it. I plan on swapping the hose bib out in the next few weeks. I'll report back on the condition of that piece.
Appreciate 1
Phil325i614.50
      05-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #13
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks. So what are the symptoms of failure? Coolant leak? Pieces of plastic in the coolant header?
The hose end broke clean off and most of the coolant dumped out. Low coolant level was the first indication something was wrong. I was at work in the parking lot and had just started the engine in the afternoon getting ready to go home. I tried adding some water so that I could get home, but I soon realized it was running out as fast as i was pouring it in. Then I saw the hose just laying there with one end not connected to anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 08:47 PM   #14
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is a pic of mine on the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17139.00
      05-29-2019, 12:16 PM   #15
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Well I guess I have to spend more money now huh? Thanks. Ha

I've been meaning to swap this out for quite sometime and now seeing your post I'll go place an order and place it with extensive repairs that's already being done on the car.

good stuff
      07-06-2019, 09:25 AM   #16
Explorerlyon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 986 Acura TL-SHAWD BMW

Garage List
Quote:
I've not seen anyone post a DIY for replacing the plastic hose bib on the Thermostat-to-Head coolant hose for the N52 and N54. The same hose bib is used for either engine.

This is a DIY for removal and replacement of the E9X N52 Thermostat-to-Head coolant hose aluminum hose bib. Cutting the band clamp securing the hose bib risks compromising the hose. Breaking up the old, week plastic hose bib is a better in-car solution using the right tools and does not require complete removal of the hose from the engine. I used a large Channel Lock plyers (it is a Stanley tool actually) and I used a Craftsman water hose clamp plyers. This DIY is based on using similar tools. The procedure breaks up the old hose bib inside the hose end and has risk of leaving old pieces of plastic in the cooling system, which could jam the water pump, so you must be very careful to ensure no small broken plastic falls down the hose.

Please see attached .pdf file for detailed instructions.
The .pdf won't open. Can you reattach? Your .pdf in other posts (replacing coolant hoses) opens fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 09:31 AM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorerlyon View Post
The .pdf won't open. Can you reattach? Your .pdf in other posts (replacing coolant hoses) opens fine.
Weird... Try it again. I just re-uploaded it. I down loaded for me once I re did it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #18
Explorerlyon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 986 Acura TL-SHAWD BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Weird... Try it again. I just re-uploaded it. I down loaded for me once I re did it.
Thank you for the DIY. Did it this weekend and all went well. I was surprised how mushy the original fitting was when I removed it.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17139.00
      09-22-2019, 08:49 AM   #19
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I did this yesterday and did not drain the coolant, just made a cap for the new fitting pulled the old fitting and put in the new one to stop the coolant from coming out, held the hose up so it didn't leak, removed the old fitting and put the hose on the new fitting. Then ran the air purge procedure and topped up coolant, lost less than 1/2 liter total and just jammed an old towel below the fitting when I removed to catch it all. I was actually surprised how little coolant came out and how slowly it was coming out once the fitting was removed. Maybe a shortcut for anyone like me that had done coolant recently, made the whole process take less than 30 minutes including the purging of air.
Appreciate 1
dwashy64.50
      10-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #20
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Just wondering is draining the radiator coolant necessary to do this job?
From the videos I've seen there was no need. Will there be coolant gushing out when pulling the hose/bib out?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 02:06 PM   #21
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Just wondering is draining the radiator coolant necessary to do this job?
From the videos I've seen there was no need. Will there be coolant gushing out when pulling the hose/bib out?
I don't know, I drained the coolant to a level below the cylinderhead, which assures there is no coolant mess.

This car is so easy to refill and bleed, there is no reason not to just drain the coolant for a minute or two. You have to bleed it anyway, since opening the main coolant passage into the head will introduce air into the cooling system.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #22
clegg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92, 435i F32,X5 F15

I was looking to buy one of these billet pieces to replace the plastic one. Does the supplied o ring fit in the head ok, or was the oem o ring used? I was reading reviews that the supplied o ring was too large to fit properly.
Appreciate 0