E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > E90 330D - Burning Oil

09-05-2019, 02:53 PM   #23
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Maybe the egr cooler is broken then, so you're getting water injection for free currently, haha.

If its using water though, and it's not mixing with the oil or dropping it on the ground, the options are head gasket or egr cooler, I think.

If it's using oil but not dropping it or mixing with water, options are turbo, valve stem seals, CCV, or rings/bores.... I think.

Given your symptoms, my money is on turbo for the oil, and egr cooler for the water. But don't bank on either of those!
It's not the EGR cooler, I came up with this rather ingenious EGR cooler tester which was hard to explain to the misses

Turbo, it was renewed not that long ago by Best Turbos and it's still in warranty, I checked for shaft play but there's none other than the normal floating bearing movement.

I'm probably going to have a look at the cylinder head connector fpr the coolant leak, it's located under the intake manifold and bolts onto the cylinder head. This makes it very hard to see and it will burn off on the block, I did buy a new one with a new gasket but I did remove it again to fix the glow plug controller so I suppose there's a possibility it may be leaking but I did torque to spec so it would be strange but that's all I can think of.

With seeing the white smoke though I do think it may be going through the exhaust.. I wonder if the oil filter gasket could be a potential culprit as that separates oil and coolant
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #24
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

:
Awesome, I love a good bodge!

Surely if it was ofhg gasket, you'd see oil in the water and/or water in the oil? And how would it get into the exhaust from there?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #25
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
:
Awesome, I love a good bodge!

Surely if it was ofhg gasket, you'd see oil in the water and/or water in the oil? And how would it get into the exhaust from there?
Yes, oversight on my part haha. So this is ending up like the other times I've asked on the forum, I think most of the general things have been considered and it really does only leave the more involved things like valve stems, rings, bore like you said.

The one thing that may move away from rings or bores is the visible smoke is only after idling for long periods or if I drive slow and then boot it. If it was rings or bores allowing oil to pass then it should smoke all the time?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 04:33 PM   #26
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Interesting. Does it smoke as soon as you floor it, before the revs climb? I'm not really sure what that would indicate if it was the case, but it should mean something...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #27
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Does it smoke as soon as you floor it, before the revs climb? I'm not really sure what that would indicate if it was the case, but it should mean something...
It's a damn cloud, I believe its quite bad because since filling up I'm on a mission to beat my catastrophic 21MPG so I'm very steady on the throttle and I think it builds up.. Then I'll need to put my foot down and jeez it leaves a big cloud. I'll have to try and get a video.. Maybe if passenger records or something when I do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #28
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
If it was rings or bores allowing oil to pass then it should smoke all the time?
My suspicion was rings, but not in that sense. I suspect crankcase pressure from blowby caused by worn rings is pushing oil out the CCV. And anywhere else it can go. Coolant? I can't grok that in this context unless the oil under consideration is milky with rods ready to start knocking.

Does the CCV on that go thru the turbo like the 335?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #29
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir Point View Post
My suspicion was rings, but not in that sense. I suspect crankcase pressure from blowby caused by worn rings is pushing oil out the CCV. And anywhere else it can go. Coolant? I can't grok that in this context unless the oil under consideration is milky with rods ready to start knocking.

Does the CCV on that go thru the turbo like the 335?
Ahh I see what you mean, well having removed the CCV Filter the crankcase pressure has reduced massively. I loosened the oil cap in the morning and then started the car and the CC pressure is pretty much no different to when the engine is hot and been through some WOT pulls which can be seen here

https://youtu.be/-7kFMlJoiZI

And yes CCV works the same as 335D it's the same engine just single turbo US CCV may be different though
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 02:55 PM   #30
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep

I might consider running that CCV to a catch can for awhile, just to see what happens. Bet that's where you find ur missing oil. Get a real catch can. You can find these on Amazon for around 30 bucks. Avoid the OEM real version for >$100. The knockoffs are nearly identical in both form and function.

Last edited by Nadir Point; 09-06-2019 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #31
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I might consider running that CCV to a catch can for awhile, just to see what happens. Bet that's where you find ur missing oil. Get a real catch can. You can find these on Amazon for around 30 bucks. Avoid the OEM real version for >$100. The knockoffs are nearly identical in both form and function.
Thanks, ironically a chap I was speaking to on YouTube said the exact same thing this morning as we both lose oil and both our filters got clogged pretty quick. But this is the issue I have as I've came across the catch can scenario a couple of years ago and that's people fabricating their own CCV plate and creating elbow joints etc, I haven't got a clue how I'd go about doing that. and the threads I did see of people doing this was created a long time ago so I overlooked a catch can install for the time being.

I'll have to start looking into this a bit more. it's going to be a lot quicker than pulling the engine for a rebuild while reading countless newtis documents haha. So the provent 200 is old but still appears to be mentioned even now, is this a good route to go down? Another thing I remember reading was a chap saying the CC pressure was an issue and he used some huge 1" pipes, it looked like another cooling pipe lol.

And also, I just thought will these filters last long? it took probably 2 months to clog the OEM filter before it started to increase pressure so I'm curious if this would cope better?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #32
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep

The catch can is your filter. But if my hunch is correct, and you've got blowby pushing that much oil, you are not out of the woods, by any stretch, just a good clue in hand.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #33
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

I'm confused, I thought you only had oil consumption. Now coolant too?

The loo filter clearly is a problem and will get worse in comparison at high loads high flow.

Idle/light driving smoke can still be rings, there's a set that handles low pressure and high pressure. Are you sure that at idle and low loads the throttle valve is staying open? If it shuts due to crap egr delete, you get vacuum in the cyls which on a diesel will cause oil to go past rings since they don't usually have rings to handle vacuum.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 07:18 AM   #34
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
I'm confused, I thought you only had oil consumption. Now coolant too?

The loo filter clearly is a problem and will get worse in comparison at high loads high flow.

Idle/light driving smoke can still be rings, there's a set that handles low pressure and high pressure. Are you sure that at idle and low loads the throttle valve is staying open? If it shuts due to crap egr delete, you get vacuum in the cyls which on a diesel will cause oil to go past rings since they don't usually have rings to handle vacuum.
The coolant side of things is only something I noticed not so long ago, the coolant seems to drop very slowly but I haven't had a good look down at the cylinder head connector which is something I removed to fix the glow plug controller so there's a possibility it's seeping from there but I'll have it have a look.

As for the throttle valve, how can I check this while driving? I've got everything from INPA, ISTA+, Carly so if it can be monitored that way I could do it but I'm not sure how to. I have no idea who did the map but I know the air mass reads higher in INPA if that has any relevancy (40 seconds in video)

https://youtu.be/sCSOBG6I59I
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #35
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Air mass around 500mg/str is correct. But your coolant is at 41C ...

The tests you are running should be done with coolant at least 75C. Otherwise they are not indicative of real conditions.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:21 AM   #36
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330

Quote:
Thanks, ironically a chap I was speaking to on YouTube said the exact same thing this morning as we both lose oil and both our filters got clogged pretty quick. But this is the issue I have as I've came across the catch can scenario a couple of years ago and that's people fabricating their own CCV plate and creating elbow joints etc, I haven't got a clue how I'd go about doing that. and the threads I did see of people doing this was created a long time ago so I overlooked a catch can install for the time being.

I'll have to start looking into this a bit more. it's going to be a lot quicker than pulling the engine for a rebuild while reading countless newtis documents haha. So the provent 200 is old but still appears to be mentioned even now, is this a good route to go down? Another thing I remember reading was a chap saying the CC pressure was an issue and he used some huge 1" pipes, it looked like another cooling pipe lol.

And also, I just thought will these filters last long? it took probably 2 months to clog the OEM filter before it started to increase pressure so I'm curious if this would cope better?

I’m that chap 😂

Also having this blue smoke headache - watching this thread now. Will add anything I find when I do some tests next weekend 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #37
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The catch can is your filter. But if my hunch is correct, and you've got blowby pushing that much oil, you are not out of the woods, by any stretch, just a good clue in hand.
Spoke to bmw today when picking up parts and they said it’s normal to have some blow by. The cap can bump around, but shouldn’t pop off if you get what I mean?

Will get a video of mine when hot. I’ve put one up when it’s cold and it’s minimal for comparison MrSweet1991

Hope these will help, butI am having same issues 😂
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:29 AM   #38
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Would be good if we could get a video of someone’s m57 that’s healthy to compare.

Mrsweet1991 I’ll put my compression test results on here and another thread once created.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #39
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txs330D View Post
Would be good if we could get a video of someone’s m57 that’s healthy to compare.

Mrsweet1991 I’ll put my compression test results on here and another thread once created.
I'll have to go through my posts because there was a chap who had a 330D pre lci with an unbelievably low amount of miles, like barely broke in haha. I'll have to see if he could do a test if I find the post out. Very intrigued to see your results. I took a video yesterday of me booting it up a hill to capture the clouds of smoke and just my luck it pulled perfectly with a little puff of black haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #40
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Here it is, only 37k or so on the clock

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1628726
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 02:16 AM   #41
cozzyman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d AUDI RS6 AVANT

Quote:
You're not wrong! My next big milestone was a head removal to clean the valves and change the valve stems and possibly look into replacing or attempting to fix the hydraulic lifters.. But piston rings is about as involved as it gets, I tell you what though this car runs like a champ! I'll be interested to know if yours is the same, I did boot it a few times on my outing so that run had a lot of pressure built up for the oil cap test.

That clattering sound when you pull the oil cap, is the vac pump not lifters, they all do that. to check your crank case pressure, pull the dip stick with the engine running, if you have excessive pressure it will shoot oil up the dip stick tube.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 12:08 PM   #42
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'll have to go through my posts because there was a chap who had a 330D pre lci with an unbelievably low amount of miles, like barely broke in haha. I'll have to see if he could do a test if I find the post out. Very intrigued to see your results. I took a video yesterday of me booting it up a hill to capture the clouds of smoke and just my luck it pulled perfectly with a little puff of black haha.
Haha typical! After you gave it a boot, did you take off the intake pipe to see how much oil was in the breather pipe?

Least you get a tiny bit of black smoke, I’m getting trials of the spot at the moment. It’s better when the egr is disconnected. If I can resolve the blue smoke then I’ll get it mapped out.

Any videos of your blue smoke at idle? Or when warming up?

Have you tried with the maf unplugged?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #43
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Haha typical! After you gave it a boot, did you take off the intake pipe to see how much oil was in the breather pipe?

Least you get a tiny bit of black smoke, I’m getting trials of the spot at the moment. It’s better when the egr is disconnected. If I can resolve the blue smoke then I’ll get it mapped out.

Any videos of your blue smoke at idle? Or when warming up?

Have you tried with the maf unplugged?
To be honest mate, lately I've not seen much blue smoke. Usually I would see it I let the car idle for long periods or leave it to idle and then rev the car. One thing for sure though is, despite it not smoking bad at all the oil continues to burn 1 litre per month

I'll search and upload some older videos if I find them, and no I didn't check the pipe after booting it but the CCV Filter getting clogged in like 2 months says everything. BMW Doctor on YouTube is absolutely certain all of this is CCV related, get vortex and if that don't work clean the CCV valve which to me is confusing.. What can I spray down there that's okay to go through the turbo, intencooler EGR etc etc I wish I knew all this before because I would have jet washed the bloody valve cover when I had it off lol
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #44
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
To be honest mate, lately I've not seen much blue smoke. Usually I would see it I let the car idle for long periods or leave it to idle and then rev the car. One thing for sure though is, despite it not smoking bad at all the oil continues to burn 1 litre per month

I'll search and upload some older videos if I find them, and no I didn't check the pipe after booting it but the CCV Filter getting clogged in like 2 months says everything. BMW Doctor on YouTube is absolutely certain all of this is CCV related, get vortex and if that don't work clean the CCV valve which to me is confusing.. What can I spray down there that's okay to go through the turbo, intencooler EGR etc etc I wish I knew all this before because I would have jet washed the bloody valve cover when I had it off lol
Haha! Good tip, I’ll give mine a good clean next weekend. I don’t even know how much oil I am burning as I have no flat areas to check it on a regular. So when I get a chance and it’s flat I take it. But I did about half a litre a few months ago. However, I don’t do huge miles anymore, so maybe I’d burn more with more miles. Will be a good 150 mile journey next weekend and it’s flat where’s I’ll be doing my car so can check it a few times. It was filled last weekend with the turbo replacement.

I just did the maf trick and my blue smoke reduced a lot, but it’s still there. So confused!
Appreciate 0