E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Confusion on Day Time Running Lights and Angel Eyes

04-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
EuroE92
Second Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi Coupe

Confusion on Day Time Running Lights and Angel Eyes

I have a 09 335xi coupe.

Now my question is does my car have Angel Eyes? I know I have the 4 halo rings on the car but are those considered angel eyes or daytime running lights ?

I seen things online where people change their angel eyes by going behind the fender to the actual back cover of the headlight and I seen people popping a cover under the hood on top of the headlight. So I am not sure which one is right.

Also what headlight bulb size is it. According to http://www.modifiedlife.com/2009-bmw...lb-size-chart/ I see H8 and H7 as options.

Also should the bulbs look like this:

or this

Someone please give me some clarity on this because I am confused.
      04-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

The 4 rings are your 'Angel Eyes' (Corona Rings). On newer models they can be activated to behave as DRL (Daytime running lights) as well. (I have an '06, where that isn't an option, but I know that it became an option in later years. Don't know the cutoff or transition year tho.)

The first bulb you mentioned, with the big heat sink (sp?) is the Angel eye bulb. The second bulb (the one still in the package) is just a regular low-beam headlight bulb (or high beam. whatever)

Hopefully someone else can chime in as far as installation, since it may be different from my car to yours.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
christiandflores
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroE92 View Post
I have a 09 335xi coupe.

Now my question is does my car have Angel Eyes? I know I have the 4 halo rings on the car but are those considered angel eyes or daytime running lights ?

I seen things online where people change their angel eyes by going behind the fender to the actual back cover of the headlight and I seen people popping a cover under the hood on top of the headlight. So I am not sure which one is right.

Also what headlight bulb size is it. According to http://www.modifiedlife.com/2009-bmw...lb-size-chart/ I see H8 and H7 as options.

or this

on Pre lci sedans you gotta take the fender cover off from the bottom, thats how i did mine. e92's i believe are the ones you just pop the cover off from above
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohab View Post
The 4 rings are your 'Angel Eyes' (Corona Rings). On newer models they can be activated to behave as DRL (Daytime running lights) as well. (I have an '06, where that isn't an option, but I know that it became an option in later years. Don't know the cutoff or transition year tho.)

The first bulb you mentioned, with the big heat sink (sp?) is the Angel eye bulb. The second bulb (the one still in the package) is just a regular low-beam headlight bulb (or high beam. whatever)

Hopefully someone else can chime in as far as installation, since it may be different from my car to yours.

Hope that helps!
To OP, did you search... anywhere? Even the slightest bit of searching would have answered all of this, especially a question as simple as "what are angel eyes"... either in this forum, FS forum... anywhere.

Correct. The 4 rings are the Angel Eyes. If you have an i-drive, you can program the Angel Eyes as DRLs. But, the corner lights will be on. To get them strictly done as DRL, you have to get them coded to run with them on, with DRLs off, and corners off.

Mohab is right for the most part. The first picture is indeed angel eyes. The 2nd picture is an HID bulb. Used to replace low beams or high beams with xenon headlights.

As for installation, all dependent on the production date of your car. 06-beginning of 09, owners have to get into the fender area to get to the lights. Rest of 09-today, The headlight assembly is accessible through the engine bay.
      04-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

All true.
Searching does take a bit longer, unless someone offers to answer you right away, but you learn sooo much more by reading through all the different threads. And it doesn't seem like this was an emergency question (Such as "why is my engine making this click-clacking noise", or "what does this "Danger to Manifold" emergency flashing warning light on my dash mean"?)

As far as the second bulb, it is probably just a xenon replica kinda bulb. If you have true HID xenon, this bulb will not work as a replacement. But if you have halogens, this will work as a replacement and will give you a slightly more white/blue color (according to the temperature. 8500k is on the bluer side) similar to that of true HID's but it does this, in part, by running a little hotter so bulbs will burn out a little faster.

Like 335 alluded to, do your own research. This website is a gold mine of e90 knowledge. There's several different types of AE bulbs from different vendors, and lots of reviews on each. And probably several DIY guides for your exact model in the appropriate section.

Happy modding!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #6
BudVlad
Old Geezer
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 N53B30

Garage List
2008 E92 N53B30  [10.00]
The firs picture is for E90. You have E92 so you need H8 on the second picture. On all E92s the bulbs are accessible from the engine bay. Look in the DIY section how to replace the bulbs.
      04-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Those 1st Bulbs shown in OP are for E90 and E91 AE.

-------------------------------------------------------

These are E92 Bulbs:

As stated before, E92 AE Bulb access is from the Engine Compartment. A tight fit even for the average sized hand... Can be a bit of a challenge to get them in but patience rules!
      04-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
EuroE92
Second Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi Coupe

Thank you.....because I was not sure. I see things for Angel Eyes that look like the first picture.

The reason for my confusion was this post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39270

So i see this guy putting a H8 bulb in and im like WTF is it a H8 bulb or is it

So for any angel eye upgrade i need to do a H8 bulb correct? And it get installed under the hood, top of headlight cover?
      04-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

You want to get the LED bulbs, Not the halgens. H8 would be for your fog lights. There are numerous LED bulb sets out there. So check the Vendors and other on-line sites for a good price.

This is the set I used:

http://www.**********s.com/LED-Angel...92-E82-E89.htm
      04-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroE92 View Post
I have a 09 335xi coupe.

or this

I'm going to chime in because I've been through different angel eye solutions.

Because you have a coupe, your car came with xenons. Therefore, your car does have angel eyes. These are the four rings in the headlights that you refer to. These are known by BMW as "corona rings", but enthusiasts refer to them as "angel eyes".

Daytime running lights (DRL) is the name for the lighting configuration a car has while on during the day. For example, the 328i sedan (without xenon headlights) uses 2 halogen bulbs as DRL. On the coupes, the angel eyes are used as DRL. Your car may have come this way from the factory. But in some cases, it might not be set this way and you will need to do it yourself.

If you have iDrive, you can check this easily by looking through the settings. However, if you don't have iDrive, you can still set your angel eyes as your daytime running lights, using the BC stalk (read the owner's manual for more information on how to do this). The easiest way to check (visually) whether your car has angel eyes set to run during the daytime (that is, as your DRL), is to set your light switch to the off position (where the dial points vertically) and look at the car while it's on. If your headlights are not lit up in anyway, you do not have the angel eyes set as DRL. If you only see the 4 rings, then you have your angel eyes set as DRL.

For the coupes, you can easily swap out your angel eyes because they are just H8 35 watt halogen bulbs. This is done simply by accessing the headlight under the hood; you do not need to remove your fender liners. Your owner's manual outlines this procedure (look under maintenance/replacing components). You can replace the factory bulb with plenty of other options, but in my opinion, these are the most popular ones:

1. A whiter H8 35 watt bulb, such as the second picture you posted. In my experience, the most popular bulb was the GP Thunder H8 35 watt bulb, in 7500k or 8500k. It usually costs $15. You can search the forum for pictures.

2. Special LED bulbs that will be whiter and brighter. A good option is LUX H8, found here. LED bulbs are more expensive, but well worth it.

3. You can go with an HID kit for your angel eyes. Search the forum for "alpine HID angel eyes" to learn more.

Note that with the way the headlight was designed, you may not be able to see the rings in daytime, under direct sunlight, depending on which solution you go with.

Here's a comparison I did of the GP Thunder bulbs vs. Lux H8. Hope this helps.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529579
      10-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
Grimes_MG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93

Garage List
^^ great job answering the OP's question and <i> really</i> answering his question. I've read many of the posts and DIY's re: DRL and found myself confused. Coming across this thread and your response helped.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 09:17 AM   #12
pupster
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

So, do I have the regular NON-halo DRL? If so, what's the part number? I'm trying to replace the circled bulb. It's out on the other side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisE92 View Post
I'm going to chime in because I've been through different angel eye solutions.

Because you have a coupe, your car came with xenons. Therefore, your car does have angel eyes. These are the four rings in the headlights that you refer to. These are known by BMW as "corona rings", but enthusiasts refer to them as "angel eyes".

Daytime running lights (DRL) is the name for the lighting configuration a car has while on during the day. For example, the 328i sedan (without xenon headlights) uses 2 halogen bulbs as DRL. On the coupes, the angel eyes are used as DRL. Your car may have come this way from the factory. But in some cases, it might not be set this way and you will need to do it yourself.

If you have iDrive, you can check this easily by looking through the settings. However, if you don't have iDrive, you can still set your angel eyes as your daytime running lights, using the BC stalk (read the owner's manual for more information on how to do this). The easiest way to check (visually) whether your car has angel eyes set to run during the daytime (that is, as your DRL), is to set your light switch to the off position (where the dial points vertically) and look at the car while it's on. If your headlights are not lit up in anyway, you do not have the angel eyes set as DRL. If you only see the 4 rings, then you have your angel eyes set as DRL.

For the coupes, you can easily swap out your angel eyes because they are just H8 35 watt halogen bulbs. This is done simply by accessing the headlight under the hood; you do not need to remove your fender liners. Your owner's manual outlines this procedure (look under maintenance/replacing components). You can replace the factory bulb with plenty of other options, but in my opinion, these are the most popular ones:

1. A whiter H8 35 watt bulb, such as the second picture you posted. In my experience, the most popular bulb was the GP Thunder H8 35 watt bulb, in 7500k or 8500k. It usually costs $15. You can search the forum for pictures.

2. Special LED bulbs that will be whiter and brighter. A good option is LUX H8, found here. LED bulbs are more expensive, but well worth it.

3. You can go with an HID kit for your angel eyes. Search the forum for "alpine HID angel eyes" to learn more.

Note that with the way the headlight was designed, you may not be able to see the rings in daytime, under direct sunlight, depending on which solution you go with.

Here's a comparison I did of the GP Thunder bulbs vs. Lux H8. Hope this helps.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529579
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 03:23 PM   #13
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pupster View Post
So, do I have the regular NON-halo DRL? If so, what's the part number? I'm trying to replace the circled bulb. It's out on the other side.
This is the pre-LCI parking light, and I would love to know the replacement bulb for this as well.

Last edited by smatanovic; 01-13-2021 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: Correction
Appreciate 0