E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Cars for Sale > E91s For Sale

01-16-2021, 08:33 PM   #4731
toastie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendmewagons View Post
How did you pass it up at $14k??
Easy, I said "thanks but I will pass."
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 10:48 PM   #4732
Mcdempsey
Rep
Drives: 2000 Bmw 528it, 5 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendmewagons View Post
Killer car, Just not a huge fan of the overall spec
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 07:29 AM   #4733
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummr8 View Post
What do you guys who have a large collection of vehicles do as far as registration, taxes, and insurance? are you just eating those costs every year/month for a bunch of cars that mostly sit around?

Or is there some secret collector way of avoiding that wasted money? In SC, it's probably at least $700/yr to keep one of these around (~$200 taxes/reg, ~$500 insurance)

I used to have 5 cars for a long time, but that was back when we lived in NC where tax rates were dramatically lower and insurance was a bit lower also. Now that we moved to Greenville country SC in 2019, vehicle yearly property tax is insane. Here's the 2020 tax required to register them:

2019 M2C -- $927.73
2011 E90 M3 -- $417.20
2007 E91 328i -- $143.34

$1488.27/yr for just there 3 cars. SC is apparently the 48th worst state in terms of vehicle property taxes with the flip side being home property taxes are much lower than most other states.

In 2019 the M3 tax in NC was $233, 2007 E91 was $108, and the first year property tax for the M2C when it was new was $469.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 09:54 AM   #4734
K9Leader
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix E91, 2011 128i E82

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
What do you guys who have a large collection of vehicles do as far as registration, taxes, and insurance? are you just eating those costs every year/month for a bunch of cars that mostly sit around?

Or is there some secret collector way of avoiding that wasted money? In SC, it's probably at least $700/yr to keep one of these around (~$200 taxes/reg, ~$500 insurance)

"Large collection" is a relevant term. Large to me or you would be significantly more than to my wife. We have four vehicles, although there was a point where we were up to seven, although that was when both of my children were still "dependents" (one just out of college and one was still in college at the time) so both of their cars were included in the seven. Also, it was temporary as we were planning to sell two of them.

The four we have now are my daily driver '10 E91, my '99 Corvette, an '03 Subaru Baja (used mostly for utility work around our property), and wife's '13 Toyota Venza. I would like to add something I could take to track nights occasionally - my Corvette is a convertible and I want to keep it as a weekend fun cruiser so do not want to put a roll cage in it - so will have to start working on coaxing begrudging acquiescence from the wife. Thinking something like a Miata, GTI, Mini, BRZ/86, Mustang GT, E90 or 92 with an N52 with three-stage intake (which I have on my E91 xDrive) or even a RWD E91. Also a possibility that I will take on a Saturn Sky Redline (the turbo version, which is a beast, a real mini-Corvette) from my father when/if he does not want to or cannot drive it any longer - this might be the easiest lift with my wife (although I can't see how a roll bar/cage could be put in that car with such limited room).

There are no annual property taxes on vehicles in Delaware, so only costs there are annual or bi-annual registration. So, other than operation and maintenance costs, most significant cost is insurance, which is pretty reasonable as we are what insurance considers low-risk and the cars are all older. I have collector insurance on the Corvette, which is very reasonable, and major company on the other three (State Farm).

Also, as I mentioned, both of my children have been off the payroll for several years, I will retire sometime in the next year or so, wife will retire in two - four years, and we have planned/prepared pretty well financially for retirement. During the years we were raising children and paying mortgages and car payments and saving for college we could not afford a "fleet." I managed to work some sporty-ish cars in (a couple of Integras) but there were some years spent driving kid-hauling station wagons (Ford Taurus, Subaru Outback) or mini-vans (Toyota Sienna).

Also, I'm perfectly happy with older cars (my three cars average 17 years old and drops only to just under 15 if my wife's car is included) and do not have to have a driveway filled with brand new cars. We have not purchased a brand new vehicle since 1998 and probably never will again.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:17 AM   #4735
INDVDL///M
Truth seeker
Rep
Drives: German cars

Garage List
2012 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Leader View Post
Quote:

"Large collection" is a relevant term. Large to me or you would be significantly more than to my wife. We have four vehicles, although there was a point where we were up to seven, although that was when both of my children were still "dependents" (one just out of college and one was still in college at the time) so both of their cars were included in the seven. Also, it was temporary as we were planning to sell two of them.

The four we have now are my daily driver '10 E91, my '99 Corvette, an '03 Subaru Baja (used mostly for utility work around our property), and wife's '13 Toyota Venza. I would like to add something I could take to track nights occasionally - my Corvette is a convertible and I want to keep it as a weekend fun cruiser so do not want to put a roll cage in it - so will have to start working on coaxing begrudging acquiescence from the wife. Thinking something like a Miata, GTI, Mini, BRZ/86, Mustang GT, E90 or 92 with an N52 with three-stage intake (which I have on my E91 xDrive) or even a RWD E91. Also a possibility that I will take on a Saturn Sky Redline (the turbo version, which is a beast, a real mini-Corvette) from my father when/if he does not want to or cannot drive it any longer - this might be the easiest lift with my wife (although I can't see how a roll bar/cage could be put in that car with such limited room).

There are no annual property taxes on vehicles in Delaware, so only costs there are annual or bi-annual registration. So, other than operation and maintenance costs, most significant cost is insurance, which is pretty reasonable as we are what insurance considers low-risk and the cars are all older. I have collector insurance on the Corvette, which is very reasonable, and major company on the other three (State Farm).

Also, as I mentioned, both of my children have been off the payroll for several years, I will retire sometime in the next year or so, wife will retire in two - four years, and we have planned/prepared pretty well financially for retirement. During the years we were raising children and paying mortgages and car payments and saving for college we could not afford a "fleet." I managed to work some sporty-ish cars in (a couple of Integras) but there were some years spent driving kid-hauling station wagons (Ford Taurus, Subaru Outback) or mini-vans (Toyota Sienna).

Also, I'm perfectly happy with older cars (my three cars average 17 years old and drops only to just under 15 if my wife's car is included) and do not have to have a driveway filled with brand new cars. We have not purchased a brand new vehicle since 1998 and probably never will again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Leader View Post
Quote:

Dumb question but what is the purpose of this property tax on cars you guys have south of the border? We have registration and insurance up here and sales tax at purchase but not this huge annual hit some of you seem to have.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:26 AM   #4736
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDVDL///M View Post
Dumb question but what is the purpose of this property tax on cars you guys have south of the border? We have registration and insurance up here and sales tax at purchase but not this huge annual hit some of you seem to have.
Revenue to pay for roads, we don't have road tax so we get what is referred to in my state as excise tax and it's based on the MSRP and goes down annually and stops at 10% in my state and remains there forever so they always have a source of $. It varies by state and some may not have it.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2021, 12:50 PM   #4737
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]

https://vermont.craigslist.org/for/d...252727015.html

NOT Mine but I am always looking.

Hello, I am selling my wife’s very well maintained e90 e91 BMW 328xit wagon. This is a awd sport wagon, fully loaded with cold weather, premium and sport package. Heated seats, power lumbar, ski compartment, paddle shifters, panoramic sunroof, xenon headlights and many other options. New all season tires just installed a few months ago, I also have a complete set of BMW sport wheels and brand new studded snow tires that are included. I am the second owner of the car. It took me a long time to find the car when we were searching and was always well maintained. It has always been garage kept. New front end bushings, ball joints, new struts and springs, new starter and constant oil changes. This is not my only BMW and I am very meticulous, it was always cleaned with salt-away at the end of each winter, it was under coated yearly, and the paint was sealed each fall before winter. No accidents, clean Carfax which I have a copy of. Please email or txt with any questions, thanks!
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2021, 09:10 PM   #4738
Wh400
Private
Rep
Drives: 2000 M Roadster, 2014 Abarth

What to do? I have found a very nice E91, RWD, 2012 with 47k miles, black with ivory. Well optioned but the issue is it is an automatic. I really want a manual RWD wagon but the prices have just gotten so high so quickly just priced them more than I can go right now. So, do I get this automatic wagon until I find my manual or just wait until I find my manual? I don't need the car, just really want an E91 wagon.

I know, lots of vagueness in my question but any thoughts or ideas greatly welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 09:13 PM   #4739
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Get the automatic car and flash the 3.0si trans tune onto it it makes shifting noticeably better. Also a swap can be done fairly cheap if you price around
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 09:26 PM   #4740
sturgeongeneral
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh400 View Post
What to do? I have found a very nice E91, RWD, 2012 with 47k miles, black with ivory. Well optioned but the issue is it is an automatic. I really want a manual RWD wagon but the prices have just gotten so high so quickly just priced them more than I can go right now. So, do I get this automatic wagon until I find my manual or just wait until I find my manual? I don't need the car, just really want an E91 wagon.

I know, lots of vagueness in my question but any thoughts or ideas greatly welcomed.
Finding an E91 with the right packages and color combo is probably going to be harder than finding one with a manual transmission. That's why I bought an auto and did the swap.

But if you don't need the car I'd wait. The reason I didn't was because I got tired of waiting.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 02:34 AM   #4741
Mcdempsey
Rep
Drives: 2000 Bmw 528it, 5 speed

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...?lang=en&cc=gb

Price could be better for lack of options
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 10:53 AM   #4742
Fredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:

Is the car local (or close) to you ? If yes, I say go for a test drive and see what you think. In my case, MT is not a must.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 11:10 AM   #4743
Wh400
Private
Rep

It is sitting in my driveway right now on a 24 hour test drive from CarMax. This is the car

https://www.carmax.com/car/19335172?...EM_XferShipped

The good:
47,000 miles
RWD

Niceties:
Comfort Access
Xenon headlights
Adaptive Lighting

Not my favorite:
I am not good with black cars :-)
Oyster interior

What I am sad about:
Automatic

John G.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52721.00
      01-18-2021, 11:18 AM   #4744
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm with you on black and especially if it's "black sapphire metallic" as opposed to jet black. All the metal flake and such in bsm just looks awful to me...like the car is dirty/dusty all the time (as if any black car isn't always showing a dust covering, lol). So many BMWs are bsm in the past 10 years...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 11:23 AM   #4745
mad1stgen
Master Wagon Builder
Rep
Drives: 2015 F wagon S55/6MT

Quote:

Gorgeous car. It deserves to be swapped.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 11:45 AM   #4746
Wh400
Private
Rep

My son has a 2007 328i 6MT. It has 177,000 miles, he will be graduating from college and I think the car has served its purpose. So I potentially have a healthy transmission available to me!

It's his stupid car that made me fall in love with the E9X 6MT cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #4747
Wh400
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I'm with you on black and especially if it's "black sapphire metallic" as opposed to jet black. All the metal flake and such in bsm just looks awful to me...like the car is dirty/dusty all the time (as if any black car isn't always showing a dust covering, lol). So many BMWs are bsm in the past 10 years...
I love your old motorcycle and haven't even seen it. I ride dirt bikes with a friend and he rides a 1979 Honda XR185. That bike is so much fun to ride!
Appreciate 1
CSBM52721.00
      01-18-2021, 12:44 PM   #4748
Fredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
It is sitting in my driveway right now on a 24 hour test drive from CarMax.
That's very tempting, to have the car available for 24 hours. Funny fact: my first 2 BMWs were jet black. The 3rd one was BSM. I didn't notice the difference until the deal was closed.

GL with your decision, let us know the results.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 01:25 PM   #4749
rjaudi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E91, 09 911 C4S

Quote:
My son has a 2007 328i 6MT. It has 177,000 miles, he will be graduating from college and I think the car has served its purpose. So I potentially have a healthy transmission available to me!

It's his stupid car that made me fall in love with the E9X 6MT cars.
I would want to get a low mileage manual transmission if you go with that car they can be had very reasonably. A good part of the swap is buying new parts such as a clutch and flywheel that you would want new. That 2012 would be a great candidate for a swap since it has the low mileage and factory sport package.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 02:35 PM   #4750
turnipsun
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

Not sure if this has been posited yet-

2011 328i | RWD? | Manual | Black over Oyster
95,264 miles - $17.5k
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 02:43 PM   #4751
rjaudi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E91, 09 911 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnipsun View Post
Not sure if this has been posited yet-

2011 328i | RWD? | Manual | Black over Oyster
95,264 miles - $17.5k
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined
If anyone needs me to look at that car it's not far from me.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 02:55 PM   #4752
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I love your old motorcycle and haven't even seen it. I ride dirt bikes with a friend and he rides a 1979 Honda XR185. That bike is so much fun to ride!
Here it is (pic taken in 2019)! 100% stock as delivered in June 1975.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Wh40040.50