E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My E91 - Project Sportification

08-14-2018, 05:36 AM   #45
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe127 View Post
Looks great! Love the 270Ms.

Is the sport wheel (without the wrap) a big upgrade over the non-sport wheel? I'm looking at getting a new wheel, but I can decide between an M3 wheel or a heated sport wheel. I've grown spoiled by the heat in my stock wheel, unfortunately. Seems like the only heated M-style wheel is the e89 M Sport wheel, but those are near impossible to find with heat and no paddles.
Thanks.

Yes, a Sport wheel does feel better than the non-Sport I have there and M3/M Sport wheel feels better still.

I actually bought an M Sport wheel too with paddle cutouts (the only version I could find then), but I too have decided that I want to keep the heated function.
So, I'm selling the M Sport wheel and decided to wrap the Sport wheel to come closer to the M wheel in feel.
M Sport wheel, however, is thicker in a more oval way rather than just being thicker round. Essentially, the rim is "deeper" from a face-on perspective, if that makes sense.
So, I know the wrap will not feel the same, but I'll give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #46
axe127
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 e91 328i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Thanks.

Yes, a Sport wheel does feel better than the non-Sport I have there and M3/M Sport wheel feels better still.

I actually bought an M Sport wheel too with paddle cutouts (the only version I could find then), but I too have decided that I want to keep the heated function.
So, I'm selling the M Sport wheel and decided to wrap the Sport wheel to come closer to the M wheel in feel.
M Sport wheel, however, is thicker in a more oval way rather than just being thicker round. Essentially, the rim is "deeper" from a face-on perspective, if that makes sense.
So, I know the wrap will not feel the same, but I'll give it a try.
Yup, makes sense. I've spent a bit of time driving an M2 recently, and the steering wheel in that made me realize how boring the non-sport wheel is.

Since airbags and buttons are interchangeable, maybe I'll just get a heated sport wheel for winter and an M3 wheel for summer
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #47
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Nice looking E91 and love the color combo. I went with a ZHP knob and think that it's about two inches shorter than stock.
Attached Images

08-14-2018, 10:36 AM   #48
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
Nice looking E91 and love the color combo. I went with a ZHP knob and think that it's about two inches shorter than stock.
Thanks for the photo. Yes, I like the feel of the ZHP. I've never tried the M Sport shifter to see how that square shape feels.
I think I'll go with ZHP since I can buy it new for a reasonable price, whereas the M shifter is expensive new and hard to find used in a clean shape.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #49
Barrique91
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi Touring 6MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
E91 6mt owner here as well. Great job getting sport seats they look a thousand times better. I too got the zhp shift knob and it feels great and if I recall correctly -$86 off of Amazon. It compliments the sport seats and wheel nicely. Looking forward to more updates!
Attached Images

12-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #50
BLUSMBL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 Xdrive

Just found this thread while searching for images of 400M wheels on an E91. Sweet car! Looks just like mine lol; just acquired last week. Except mine has a darker brown leather sport interior. Not sure what the darker brown is called... will find out shortly. (edit: mine is Cinnamon brown)

I'm also putting 400Ms on soon myself. I like those bumper trim pieces you added, but some of the later pics look like they're not on there anymore?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 03:44 AM   #51
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUSMBL View Post
Just found this thread while searching for images of 400M wheels on an E91. Sweet car! Looks just like mine lol; just acquired last week. Except mine has a darker brown leather sport interior. Not sure what the darker brown is called... will find out shortly. (edit: mine is Cinnamon brown)

I'm also putting 400Ms on soon myself. I like those bumper trim pieces you added, but some of the later pics look like they're not on there anymore?
Congrats on your E91!

Sorry, but I have 270M wheels, not 400M. Also, the bumper splitters in the thread are not on my car.
I decided against the splitters. I would love to get a genuine M Sport kit, so I'm holding out for it.

I'm just patiently hunting for the other mods on list.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #52
E93M3-08
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 6-MT

Quote:
Hmm, would that work? I think there is only one electrical connector for either type of pump, so I don't think I can connect two individual pumps.
See here:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=52_3184
I hope your build is going well.

Have you figured out the seat/pump(s) installation?

If you're still looking for wiring diagrams I just came across a great source:

https://www.newtis.info

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
325XiT 2006 TiAg, 6MT, Bilstein shocks, BMW P/E, P/I, Performance alu front strut brace, BMW Perf. front and rear bumpers + rocker panels, 50% tint, roof rail delete, CDV delete, C/F delete, BMW blacklines, BMW gloss black kidney grill, Style 189 staggered, 3 stage manifold, AA stage 2 ECU tune, M-Sport leather seats + interior, M-Sport steering wheel, M-Sport door sills, sport gearshift knob, LUX AE V6.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #53
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e9106 View Post
I hope your build is going well.

Have you figured out the seat/pump(s) installation?

If you're still looking for wiring diagrams I just came across a great source:

https://www.newtis.info

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Sorry for the very late reply. I haven't done much around Christmas time, so I haven't had a chance to research the pumps. I'll get to that eventually.
In the meantime, I did acquire some goodies. Let me upload some pics and give an update.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #54
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Alright, well, I manage to install some quick driving feel parts.

OEM Stainless Steel pedals:

And ZHP shift knob:

As others said, the knob makes a real difference in driving. I love it.

I was also going to wrap my spare Sport steering wheel, but the folks I bought it from sent me the wrong stich pattern. It's not too far off (dark blue instead of light blue), but I want factory OEM M pattern, so I have buy another set.

In the meantime, I manage to find one of these babies!

I'm just waiting for a Euro intake to show up and then I can't wait to install them and get a tune!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:50 PM   #55
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
I love that ZHP shift knob. I put one on my wagon while it was still sitting on the turntable at BMW Welt. Got quite a look from the car presenter person!That has to be a record for shortest time to first mod.

I ordered mine from LeatherZ.com without the ///M, just a regular six-speed pattern.

I need to get my butt in gear and do the intake manifold - I've had the parts for a couple of years.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #56
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
I love that ZHP shift knob. I put one on my wagon while it was still sitting on the turntable at BMW Welt. Got quite a look from the car presenter person!That has to be a record for shortest time to first mod.

I ordered mine from LeatherZ.com without the ///M, just a regular six-speed pattern.

I need to get my butt in gear and do the intake manifold - I've had the parts for a couple of years.
Haha, that's hilarious. I bet ze Germans were shocked to see someone messing with their new machine already.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 12:28 PM   #57
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Euro air box arrived!
So, now I need to clean up that manifold and test the DISA valves.
Any tips on cleaning the manifold? This one looks pretty clean, but I'd like to clean it up completely. It has just a slight oil film on the inside. I've used Simple Green on other manifolds, but never a plastic one. Would Simple Green work followed by rinse and air dry?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #58
bergerking
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 M3

Turning out very nice. Have you found the sport seats give a noticable improvement? I've got the saddle brown interior as well but no sport seats.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 03:19 PM   #59
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerking View Post
Turning out very nice. Have you found the sport seats give a noticable improvement? I've got the saddle brown interior as well but no sport seats.
Sport seats one of the biggest improvements for me, but my back couldn’t take the stock seats.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2019, 02:23 AM   #60
Jurciks
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325i

Hi, went through the whole thread - SUPER! Love the sports seats and especially the trim (y)

BTW Mine is also Monaco blue

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #61
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerking View Post
Yes, sports seats make a big difference!

Outside of enthusiast crowd, most folks think that "sport" seat must be for race cars and, therefore, they never check the option box, but in my experience, sport seats in any car are much much more comfortable due to the support they offer.

For me, factory sport seats are usually the best first upgrade if a car didn't come with them.

So, yes, get them!

The E90 versions are quite nice. IMO, they are better than E46M3 seats.
The best seats I've had so far, are in my Audi Avant: B6 S4 Recaro with Alcantara inserts. They are fantastic and I will miss them.

p.s. Nice E91! What suspension do you have?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 08:14 AM   #62
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurciks View Post
Hi, went through the whole thread - SUPER! Love the sports seats and especially the trim (y)

BTW Mine is also Monaco blue

[img]https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...22&oe=5D98C6DF[/img]
[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...55&oe=5D616B8D[/img]
Very nice Touring and with M package wheels! I love the cloth sport seats. I wish we had them in North America.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 07:21 AM   #63
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Not much of a progress update.
I did manage to score a set of 350M wheels recently. I'm kind of liking them more than my 270M and they have a more favourable ET30 offset vs ET20 for the 270M. I was looking for a 17" winter set, but might keep these and hunt for 18" winter tires. Not ideal, but we don't get crazy snow around here, only one or two snowstorms. Now that I said that, this next winter will surely be a record snowmaker! haha

I attempted to update my CIC maps and got the FSC code only to discover that my nav is the oddball 2009 model year that is not updatable until the firmware is updated. I'll check the pricing with the dealer, but I might also read up on doing a complete upgrade to a Combox and get full apps etc. instead of spending that money on an update. I have to read up on that, so if someone has a link directly to the answer, I'd appreciate it.

Next up is an engine bay wash when I find a moment.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 06:51 PM   #64
E86Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3.0si

Quote:
Sorry for the very late reply. I haven't done much around Christmas time, so I haven't had a chance to research the pumps. I'll get to that eventually.
In the meantime, I did acquire some goodies. Let me upload some pics and give an update.

Guys I installed sport seats in my e91, this thread is what i followed and i added some info to make it easier. It shouldn't take more than an hour to get the lumbar and the bolsters to work.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701126
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 09:00 PM   #65
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Not much of a progress update.
I did manage to score a set of 350M wheels recently. I'm kind of liking them more than my 270M and they have a more favourable ET30 offset vs ET20 for the 270M. I was looking for a 17" winter set, but might keep these and hunt for 18" winter tires. Not ideal, but we don't get crazy snow around here, only one or two snowstorms. Now that I said that, this next winter will surely be a record snowmaker! haha

I attempted to update my CIC maps and got the FSC code only to discover that my nav is the oddball 2009 model year that is not updatable until the firmware is updated. I'll check the pricing with the dealer, but I might also read up on doing a complete upgrade to a Combox and get full apps etc. instead of spending that money on an update. I have to read up on that, so if someone has a link directly to the answer, I'd appreciate it.

Next up is an engine bay wash when I find a moment.
My 2009 is also the oddball build date that needs a firmware update. Kept me from completing the rearview camera install :-/

Get that 3 stage installed yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 09:13 AM   #66
eljay
Colonel
Rep

I haven't had much time to keep up with the updates here. Sorry guys.
I will post up some pics as I gather them from the past few months.
I did not yet get chance to install the 3IM and intake.
Currently, I am in the process of doing 335i brake upgrade as my driver side rear caliper starting seizing and the pads were done in the rear anyways.

I am, of course, having trouble with undoing the rear brake hose/line. I am just rounding it out despite using the brake line wrench. I was planning to replace those with new lines, but may have to leave them alone and just screw the rebuilt 335i calipers to the existing line.
Appreciate 0