E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Moving House....How Stressful!

08-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Moving House....How Stressful!

Picked up the keys to our new house yesterday. Jesus Christ I had forgotten how stressful moving house actually is.....and it's not even started yet!

Have you ever asked yourself that question "WHY?"
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Well if you've picked up the keys, you home and dry (no pun intended), congrats on the new home.

Agree with you though, that's putting me and Mrs Creepy off from moving.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
ghosty
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 335d se

Garage List
2008 335d SE  [0.00]
yeah stressful for you, but i bet your missus is over the moon
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

You should try emigrating if you want complexity and stress.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
NightVisitant
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M-Sport 2011

We've called off a move several times due to the stresses involved. It's all about patience at the end of the day, if you keep cool and just let things unfold, it's much easier on the hair follicles!

Don't forget to notify necessary parties about your address change. Drivers licence, V5 etc etc
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I bought and sold four house in the last 8 years, more than enough for a while thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Plan to in the future
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Ive moved many times growing up. Lived over most of the UK and also in Italy. Wasn't stressful as a kid.

Moved out of home into my own, that was not to bad.
      08-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

I moved 7 doors down the street a couple of months ago and that was bad enough
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Well if you've picked up the keys, you home and dry (no pun intended), congrats on the new home.

Agree with you though, that's putting me and Mrs Creepy off from moving.
Thanks

I suppose we are lucky in the sense that we didn't have to sell our current house to move so we can move in over a few weeks, but trying to run a business at the same time means I am burning the midnight oil with Red Bull following round my veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
yeah stressful for you, but i bet your missus is over the moon
You got that right
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

We're moving to live in the south of France in 3 weeks. Starting to a panic a bit, but how badly can it go wrong.....? OK, quite badly, but nothing a credit card can't sort out is the way I look at it!

Which bit is most stressful? Our biggest worry is probably renting out our UK house - never done that before. "Men in trucks" are doing all the actual moving, thankfully.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
Which bit is most stressful? Our biggest worry is probably renting out our UK house - never done that before. "Men in trucks" are doing all the actual moving, thankfully.
All of it! For the wife none of it!

We are going to rent our old house also....bit nervous about that too as I have never let a property before. Its definitely a good bet at the moment as rental prices are pretty high due the massive deposits needed for a mortgage.

Good luck with the move
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post

Good luck with the move
Likewise!

I was surprised how much rent the agent is confidently promising us too. Nearly 50% more than our mortgage payments! Still, its not rented yet, so proof in pudding and all that.

Shame is just had new oak/slate kitchen & travertine bathroom put in. Assume our tenants will wreck those over next few years. Our 'new' house in France has no real kitchen yet so that'll be popular.....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Likewise!

I was surprised how much rent the agent is confidently promising us too. Nearly 50% more than our mortgage payments! Still, its not rented yet, so proof in pudding and all that.

Shame is just had new oak/slate kitchen & travertine bathroom put in. Assume our tenants will wreck those over next few years. Our 'new' house in France has no real kitchen yet so that'll be popular.....
Sounds like a double take, our agent also confidently bounded rental figures way above our mortgage and we also had a £30k kitchen fitted only last September and she then wanted to move
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #15
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sorry forgot to say, there are some great landlords insurance policies around. We found one that insures all breakages & damages for the kitchen etc...so its not all that bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #16
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry forgot to say, there are some great landlords insurance policies around. We found one that insures all breakages & damages for the kitchen etc...so its not all that bad.
Thanks for the tip - who are you with? I've only has a quick look at direct line so far - not really looked into it. It seemed fairly cheap - well under £200/year.

PS I DIYed the kitchen - started Jun 2010, finished 2 weeks ago! Only finished the bathroom 2 months ago . Ah well. You had your leccy and gas checks? We have an agent to do total management - patter is good, yet to see what the results are like! Part of me just doesn't want to know what happens to the house.....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #17
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Sounds like a collective 'good luck' needed guys

We moved 3 years ago one month before our little girl was born. That meant minimal stress (and effort ) for the missus not to bring anything on too early.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #18
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

Quote:
All of it! For the wife none of it!

We are going to rent our old house also....bit nervous about that too as I have never let a property before. Its definitely a good bet at the moment as rental prices are pretty high due the massive deposits needed for a mortgage.

Good luck with the move
I rented my old house out to, it went to the first people through the door. A professional couple who have just had a child, absolute A1 tenants. If you use an agent (I rented out myself via these guys http://www.urbansalesandlettings.co.uk/ and saved myself a packet) I would suggest you meet the tenants yourself as your gut feeling is better than any piece of paper.

Keeping your property is the best thing you can do, if you are looking at the long game - someone will pay off your mortgage and your property will become a good investment.

Dont worry it will be fine
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 01:46 AM   #19
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the tip - who are you with? I've only has a quick look at direct line so far - not really looked into it. It seemed fairly cheap - well under £200/year.

PS I DIYed the kitchen - started Jun 2010, finished 2 weeks ago! Only finished the bathroom 2 months ago . Ah well. You had your leccy and gas checks? We have an agent to do total management - patter is good, yet to see what the results are like! Part of me just doesn't want to know what happens to the house.....
We are using a local agent. To be fair we have had our house on the market for 5 weeks now and already had 3 viewings but have only just offered it for let as well. Our agent has the details of the policies (I'll try and get them for you). As for the gas check then they include that in the fee and the electrics are all up to date anyway (but apparently they are not a check requirement, but still worth getting done I reckon).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
I rented my old house out to, it went to the first people through the door. A professional couple who have just had a child, absolute A1 tenants. If you use an agent (I rented out myself via these guys http://www.urbansalesandlettings.co.uk/ and saved myself a packet) I would suggest you meet the tenants yourself as your gut feeling is better than any piece of paper.

Keeping your property is the best thing you can do, if you are looking at the long game - someone will pay off your mortgage and your property will become a good investment.

Dont worry it will be fine
Thanks mate, hope we end up with decent tenants as quick as you did! I am doing the viewings myself so best key up on my interrogation techniques then
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 05:00 AM   #20
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
I really wanted to rent out my old house when we moved but needed all the equity to jump into our bigger property. Plus, didn't want to see the house I'd built-up (not literally) gradually getting trashed by occupants who didn't care like I did (gross stereotype there; they're not all like that). The mortgage on one property is big enough thank you very much .

You've just got to be very careful when the interest rates rise and so will your mortgage payments. Most people are enjoying great profit at present (low mortgage, usual rental) but when interest rates start climbing it won't be the same so the figures need to be carefully monitored to make sure it's still profitable (obviously the property price should always increase over time).

I was chatting to my mortgage chap yesterday and interest rate rises are coming, just not 100% sure when, or by what amount (probably 0.25% or 0.5% in 6/12months), but certainly coming. Most people have defaulted to SVR by now which is great but of course will increase unless you switch to a fixed rate (and pay a little extra initially until the interest rates exceed your fixed rate). I'll be timing my switch to perfection (hopefully ). A lot of people are going to be very caught out as they've enjoyed the low payments, spent the different (and got used to it), so when the payments go up it'll be a big shock. Me included to a degree might I add.

Just be careful of the figures. Otherwise a good investment (like them all there are pros & cons).
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 05:41 AM   #21
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
I really wanted to rent out my old house when we moved but needed all the equity to jump into our bigger property. Plus, didn't want to see the house I'd built-up (not literally) gradually getting trashed by occupants who didn't care like I did (gross stereotype there; they're not all like that). The mortgage on one property is big enough thank you very much .

You've just got to be very careful when the interest rates rise and so will your mortgage payments. Most people are enjoying great profit at present (low mortgage, usual rental) but when interest rates start climbing it won't be the same so the figures need to be carefully monitored to make sure it's still profitable (obviously the property price should always increase over time).

I was chatting to my mortgage chap yesterday and interest rate rises are coming, just not 100% sure when, or by what amount (probably 0.25% or 0.5% in 6/12months), but certainly coming. Most people have defaulted to SVR by now which is great but of course will increase unless you switch to a fixed rate (and pay a little extra initially until the interest rates exceed your fixed rate). I'll be timing my switch to perfection (hopefully ). A lot of people are going to be very caught out as they've enjoyed the low payments, spent the different (and got used to it), so when the payments go up it'll be a big shock. Me included to a degree might I add.

Just be careful of the figures. Otherwise a good investment (like them all there are pros & cons).
Wise words re interest rates Roger. If we can get the rental advertised (or near to it) then it would be 35% above the mortgage, so we would have a bit to play with. Sounds strange but I don't want to make any money from the rental (personal tax reasons etc) and don't even mind having to chip in a small amount extra on top of the rental to cover the mortgage (if it ever came down to it).

More making sure of the right tenant that is worrying. Even though the agent won't allow people to view if their annual income isn't three times the annual rent still doesn't mean that it won't get trashed. Obviously there is wear and tear and tenants rights etc.....I don't know maybe I am best shot of it and hang out for a sale
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 05:56 AM   #22
makammo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
THIS.

Have to do it all again in 6 months as well.
Appreciate 0