E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Shaking under acceleration. Need advice.

10-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
Goofs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i MT

Shaking under acceleration. Need advice.

Hey how's it going guys. I purchased my 2009 BMW 328i xDrive in late spring with a hair under 50k on it. Car ran like a champ with absolutely no problems till about a month or two ago.

One night driving home the car started shaking like crazy under acceleration. This would happen to about 3k RPMs and would stop at any RPMs higher then that. It would also shake at idle. It popped up a SES light that night as well. Anyways, I turned the car on and off that night and the problem went away.

The next morning I went and scanned the car. This is the code that popped up.

P0201 - Injector Circuit/Open - Cylinder 1

I thought it might have been some kind of loose electrical connection since the problem disappeared till this week. Now this is occurring mostly during a drive of 30mins or more.

I was wondering if any of you have experienced this problem, or have any input on it. I talked to my mechanic briefly he thinks its an injector problem, he told me to switch the injector from Cylinder 1 to 3, and see if the problem reoccurs but just in the 3rd cylinder. This advice seems good, but I would like confirmation before I start taking things apart. Thanks in advance.

Also, problem fixes itself magically once car is turned off and on.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Goofs
Private
Rep

Bump. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Coil pack maybe?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
paulm3251
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofs View Post
Hey how's it going guys. I purchased my 2009 BMW 328i xDrive in late spring with a hair under 50k on it. Car ran like a champ with absolutely no problems till about a month or two ago.

One night driving home the car started shaking like crazy under acceleration. This would happen to about 3k RPMs and would stop at any RPMs higher then that. It would also shake at idle. It popped up a SES light that night as well. Anyways, I turned the car on and off that night and the problem went away.

The next morning I went and scanned the car. This is the code that popped up.

P0201 - Injector Circuit/Open - Cylinder 1

I thought it might have been some kind of loose electrical connection since the problem disappeared till this week. Now this is occurring mostly during a drive of 30mins or more.

I was wondering if any of you have experienced this problem, or have any input on it. I talked to my mechanic briefly he thinks its an injector problem, he told me to switch the injector from Cylinder 1 to 3, and see if the problem reoccurs but just in the 3rd cylinder. This advice seems good, but I would like confirmation before I start taking things apart. Thanks in advance.

Also, problem fixes itself magically once car is turned off and on.

My guess is bad injector..

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...r-problem-Help!

Last edited by paulm3251; 10-12-2014 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #5
Goofs
Private
Rep

UPDATE:

Alright so I ended up replacing all the plugs, and also the ignition coil in Cylinder 1 as stated before. The problem still persisted, and even got worse. I ended up going into my local BMW dealer and had a really bad customer service experience with them. Long story short, they replaced the injector which seemed like the last possible solution to the problem, but not without arguing and heachaches.

Fast forward a month later (last night), and the problem occurred AGAIN. I could not believe it. This morning I got the car scanned and I got these two codes.

P0201 & P0301

The P0301 code however never popped up before, just P0201. Both of these codes report a misfire in Cyl. 1. Just like before.

Anyways, BMW offers a one year, unlimited mileage repair warranty. So since the problem is still on the 1st Cyl I feel like the repair warranty should cover it.

My question is though, will the dealer try to shimmy their way out of this or try charging me for other BS, or can their be another cause to this problem?

They already screwed me the first time, honestly I would've done the injector myself if it did not require the comp. to get flashed once it was replaced.

Again, thank you for anyone's input. It's greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

P0201-Injector Circuit/Open 1
P0301-Cyl. 1 misfire

Take it back to the dealer. If they get crappy again just call BMW NA and explain the situation. Another option would be to use another BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 02:59 PM   #7
kongpowchicken
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93

how bad is the shaking? i recently felt that too during a steady acceleration on the freeway, but goes away after higher rpm. then now it got worse while stopped it shakes a little. i just ordered spark plugs and coils going to change it out hope it will solve the problem, and report back here.

my car just got over 100k miles, 08 328. hope just the sparks and coils
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #8
Goofs
Private
Rep

UPDATE:

So Tuesday afternoon I went into this dealership in order to see if my current misfire was still caused by a faulty injector in the 1st cylinder. After a decent wait the tech came back and told me what the supposed problem was. Apparently, there was a small loose electrical connection between the 1st cylinder and the injector. It was fixed, and I was off.

The ride home is through some long road sin the woods, so I beat on the car just a bit, and so far I have not had the problem reoccur. I'll keep this updated if anything else occurs.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 05:09 PM   #9
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Keep us posted! Hope she continues to behave!

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
ObiChen
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11'E90 / 18'F82

Garage List
2018 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Exactly same problem here! Crazy shaking and check engine light on under hard acceleration on highway!, Turned car off and on, problem gone.

I will get the car checked soon, please keep us updated!!! Thanks!!
Appreciate 0