E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > -= 6NR ConnectedDrive Retrofit by Patrys =-

04-19-2011, 05:09 AM   #89
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

It is not subjective, it not a secret... it is a business.

If this is too hard to understand then the only purpose of "finding out the details" is to get this upgrade/retrofit for free while expecting the vendor to spit out the details...

My suggestion is to go to the coding thread, visit realoem.com and get your own 6NR/Combox retrofit by yourselves.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #90
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2k11 335is

My post was pro business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
It is not subjective, it not a secret... it is a business.

If this is too hard to understand then the only purpose of "finding out the details" is to get this upgrade/retrofit for free while expecting the vendor to spit out the details...

My suggestion is to go to the coding thread, visit realoem.com and get your own 6NR/Combox retrofit by yourselves.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #91
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
My post is not against you in any way, it is a general statement in a much "blunter" way.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #92
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

Patryk works very hard on these retrofits and doesn't need to give out any technical information. His work is precise and works 100%. And BMW will never offer a retrofit so you could wait from today till tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 02:45 AM   #93
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

The first car in California was retrofitted with our 100% OEM 6NR kit today!
All features including BMW Apps (Facebook, Twitter, Webradio, Pandora), BMW Plugin and Video playback work great.

Our OEM 6NR retrofit kit does not require the new base plate and new snap-in adapter - everything works over USB cable!!!

Enjoy the pictures

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #94
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Patryk. Can you do combox (6Vc/6nr) on NON I- drive cars yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 01:40 AM   #95
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Unfortunately you cannot retrofit the 6NR without the iDrive (CIC).
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 05:26 AM   #96
MEN@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW G11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
Unfortunately you cannot retrofit the 6NR without the iDrive (CIC).
first step - install CIC
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #97
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
A Combox in a non-iDrive car will only give you Bluetooth for the phone and the 6FL. No Bluetooth Audio or even Assist (yet), much less 6NR.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #98
caesarp
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive space gray/saddle

No iPhone yet . . .

I have a blackberry, no iPhone. If I get an iPhone 2 years from now, will I still be able to do this then (not sure I want to do this right away on a brand new car)?

(I have a March 2011 build 328xi -- with combox, nav/iDrive and 6FL). No smartphone integration or 6NR.

Last edited by caesarp; 05-04-2011 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 04:46 AM   #99
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

First post updated with a nice video demonstrating the ConnectedDrive features.

It should give you better idea how the 6NR works... Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #100
sfiermon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535xi

Is there any retrofit available yet for the F10?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #101
pentaxis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i

So what exactly is needed to upgrade a 2007 E92 with Logic 7 and Navigation to Connected Drive?

I want to be able to control my Pandora App from iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 08:36 AM   #102
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxis View Post
So what exactly is needed to upgrade a 2007 E92 with Logic 7 and Navigation to Connected Drive?

I want to be able to control my Pandora App from iDrive.

You need to retrofit the latest Navigation (CIC), Combox and then the ConnectedDrive can be enabled.
If you are interested please send us your VIN at info@bimmer-tech.net
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #103
flowmaster
Rep
Drives: e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfiermon View Post
Is there any retrofit available yet for the F10?
BMW will come up with a retrofit this summer...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #104
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowmaster View Post
Did you hear this from BMW? It would be huge news!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #105
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowmaster View Post
Did you hear this from BMW? It would be huge news!
Yes and No. These are the rumors from BMW insiders. Personally I think it makes complete sense for BMW to offer this retrofit but only time will tell if it will actually happen.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #106
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Quote:
A Combox in a non-iDrive car will only give you Bluetooth for the phone and the 6FL. No Bluetooth Audio or even Assist (yet), much less 6NR.
. I still would like this much...stupid that you cant do A2DP though
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #107
Irish_john
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Smile Patrys - please contact me..

I am getting an F10 soon and would like to chat about mods so I can use apps and video.Thanks,
John.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #108
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 JZB

Hello Patrys

I've been corresponding with you over email and I really like your solution for the combox and 6NR functionality. After reading this thread I do have a couple of questions which will likely pertain to everyone considering this so I think I'll ask them here.

I'm going to start with some general facts just to make sure I'm not mistaken on anything. It seems like your solution uses all OEM parts with no specific modifications to those parts. It would also seem that it uses these parts to do something that BMW hasn't yet figured out, or hasn't bothered to implement. From the posts so far I'm concluding that you do this by software coding in the CIC and the Combox and that the CIC needs to be removed or exposed to do this. Am I confused on anything thus far?

Now to get to my questions

1. Since BMW isn't using this solution is it possible that future software updates could disable the 6NR over Ipod cable functionality?
2. Will anything special need to be done after future software updates? Will the CIC need to be removed/accessed after future software updates to allow this feature again? If this may need to be done how often is it likely to be needed?
3. Is it possible that future software updates may completely disable this such that it can't be re-established with a mere software update?
4. Do you have any kind of guarantee for future functionality? ie free updates or hardware changes if they become necessary in future?

I really like your solution and I'm hoping that none of these concerns are warranted. This solutions seems to offer the best functionality, but I'd like to ensure that it will function far into the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #109
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrigavitch View Post
Hello Patrys

I've been corresponding with you over email and I really like your solution for the combox and 6NR functionality. After reading this thread I do have a couple of questions which will likely pertain to everyone considering this so I think I'll ask them here.

I'm going to start with some general facts just to make sure I'm not mistaken on anything. It seems like your solution uses all OEM parts with no specific modifications to those parts. It would also seem that it uses these parts to do something that BMW hasn't yet figured out, or hasn't bothered to implement. From the posts so far I'm concluding that you do this by software coding in the CIC and the Combox and that the CIC needs to be removed or exposed to do this. Am I confused on anything thus far?

Now to get to my questions

1. Since BMW isn't using this solution is it possible that future software updates could disable the 6NR over Ipod cable functionality?
2. Will anything special need to be done after future software updates? Will the CIC need to be removed/accessed after future software updates to allow this feature again? If this may need to be done how often is it likely to be needed?
3. Is it possible that future software updates may completely disable this such that it can't be re-established with a mere software update?
4. Do you have any kind of guarantee for future functionality? ie free updates or hardware changes if they become necessary in future?

I really like your solution and I'm hoping that none of these concerns are warranted. This solutions seems to offer the best functionality, but I'd like to ensure that it will function far into the future.
BimmerTech 6NR implementation = 100% OEM parts + programming/coding

From the software perspective everything is exactly the same as in a factory installed 6NR.
From the hardware perspective we are using 100% OEM parts but in a different configuration than in a factory 6NR, so all features work over USB cable rather than through snap-in adapter.

And now some general fact (applies to most of the retrofits):
If a BMW car is built without option X (e.g. 6NR, 6FL or 609 or any other) and there is no official retrofit for option X, but you decide to retrofit option X then after the software update performed by a BMW dealership option X will be disabled.
If this happens option X has to be recoded to enable its functionality.
This is a general rule for most of the BMW retrofits.

In case of the 6NR after the future software update you only need to have it reactivated (no need to remove anything).

Exception:
For the 1- and 3-series cars produced in March 2011 or later without the 6NR, if the 6NR is retrofitted the future software updates will not erase it.
The same applies for the X5 and X6 produced from April 2011.

I hope it helps...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #110
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 JZB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
BimmerTech 6NR implementation = 100% OEM parts + programming/coding

From the software perspective everything is exactly the same as in a factory installed 6NR.
From the hardware perspective we are using 100% OEM parts but in a different configuration than in a factory 6NR, so all features work over USB cable rather than through snap-in adapter.

And now some general fact (applies to most of the retrofits):
If a BMW car is built without option X (e.g. 6NR, 6FL or 609 or any other) and there is no official retrofit for option X, but you decide to retrofit option X then after the software update performed by a BMW dealership option X will be disabled.
If this happens option X has to be recoded to enable its functionality.
This is a general rule for most of the BMW retrofits.

In case of the 6NR after the future software update you only need to have it reactivated (no need to remove anything).

Exception:
For the 1- and 3-series cars produced in March 2011 or later without the 6NR, if the 6NR is retrofitted the future software updates will not erase it.
The same applies for the X5 and X6 produced from April 2011.

I hope it helps...

That does definitely help. Thank you for your prompt reply.

It's reassuring to know that no parts will need to be changed or removed to do updates in future.

I'm new to BMW ownership so forgive me if these questions seem obvious to some of you.

What is normal for frequency of software updates? Do people get these done every year, every couple years, or rarely? Will coding for these options be provided free of charge after future software updates? If they are free is there a limit to frequency or number (ie once every 2 years or once or twice total) If they are not provided free will the price be the usual 200$/coding or will a discount be provided.

I hope this isn't taken in the wrong way Patrys. I'm not trying to hound you, but I do want to know what to expect in the future after I get these services activated and it's information I haven't seen clearly spelled out anywhere by any of the vendors providing these retrofits.

Last edited by gobrigavitch; 06-03-2011 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0