E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Changing battery on e93

05-30-2019, 08:36 AM   #1
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93, M sport, 269 alloys

Changing battery on e93

I bit the bullet and changed the battery. The car is 59 so the battery had lasted well. I was a little worried to start with but in the end it was much easier than I thought. A replacement AGM battery with 95AH and CCA 900 was £155.

Removing the trim was reasonably easy. The hardest bit was removing the hard plastic moulding on the hinges that open the boot backwards to let the roof drop in. There is a little hand turn screw and then the other fittings are x2 pop on/offs. It took a but of easing/prying but it came off.

Once you have access to the battery then you should look at on line videos. For the e93 this thread has the best video

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=981243

Now I am waiting to see if it fixes my seemingly random not starting for a while and then starting - see my other thread.
      05-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #2
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

As per my reply to your other thread don't forget to tell the car that you have fitted a new battery!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the reminder. Seeing a friend that has carly app next week and together we will use it to tell car there is a new battery
      05-31-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
Tr1ppy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330i M Sport

Good work OP, not always easy given the amount trims and fittings in the boot of an E93. I'm thinking about doing this myself.

Is it possible to get a smaller and lighter battery than stock?
Just thinking about the driver's side ride height issue that we have which is mainly due to battery location. If we can get a lightweight battery it may help the ride height issue to some extent.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 03:58 PM   #5
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Do it. It was not difficult. Took me about 2 hours but that included coming inside to find and watch videos on how to. If I did it again it would take about 40 minutes. ABout the battery.......
I got it from advanced batteries. It was a slightly higher spec than original and an AGM. There were much cheaper batteries to similar spec and I suspect they were lighter as they were not AGM. I presume BMW has allowed for the driver and battery on same side in UK cars. Whilst I have been enthusiastic in my car I have, fortunately, never been brave enough to exceed its ability to go round a corner. So for me the battery same side and weight is not an issue.