E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MILVS Review

04-08-2018, 12:48 PM   #89
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xencer View Post
After I installed the MILVs and flashed the BPC tune I have been having reduced power at WOT. At about 40% throttle my car has great torque and it pulls hard, but if you push the accelerator pedal any further, the engine bogs down and revs slower and has less power. I have the same issue after resetting the throttle adaptation values. I can flash the back up DME file and the car runs fine, just a little disappointed that BPC will not look at the tune file again for me after $750 spent, and they'll charge me again to dyno the car to figure out what is wrong with the tune. I'm just gonna go with AA products from now on.
10/10 Bob will coordinate with you...
He takes some time to get back to me, but he usually does within 24 hours.
I agree with Hass, it is the weekend, give it some time.

They won't leave you out to dry.
Biginboca3761.50
Taskmaster2465.00
      04-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #90
Xencer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaster View Post
What codes are you getting?

Reset all the adaptations with INPA - including Valvetronic, then do the relearn procedure.
I have contacted BPC over the past couple weeks and they won't say anything except that I can schedule a dyno, which is 6 hours away.

I do not have any codes, I have reset the valvetronic limits with a Snapon scan tool and with the IG ON accel pedal depressed for 15 - 20sec. There is no change. I have reset engine operating values and there is no change. I forced my check engine light on and got a code for Thottle Body Adaptation values with the snapon scan tool and the car ran great with the CEL on. I reset the adaptation values and cleared the code and the engine bogs down and wont rev up past 5k.

Only thing I have noticed is that the eccentric shaft specified angle is 15% greater than the actual angle. So at WOT the specified is 255 and actual is around 220. But I have already replaced my eccentric shaft sensor and valve cover gasket as well as the sensor seal and valvetronic motor gasket.

What bothers me is that I can flash the back-up DME file and the car will run fine up until redline, I flash the tune back and it will not make it to redline.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #91
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
After I installed the MILVs and flashed the BPC tune I have been having reduced power at WOT. At about 40% throttle my car has great torque and it pulls hard, but if you push the accelerator pedal any further, the engine bogs down and revs slower and has less power. I have the same issue after resetting the throttle adaptation values. I can flash the back up DME file and the car runs fine, just a little disappointed that BPC will not look at the tune file again for me after $750 spent, and they'll charge me again to dyno the car to figure out what is wrong with the tune. I'm just gonna go with AA products from now on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Have you contacted BPC to see if they can resolve the issue? Its the weekend, so maybe they just haven't seen your message yet?
Quote:
This is important. And there is no AA equivalent of this tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
10/10 Bob will coordinate with you...
He takes some time to get back to me, but he usually does within 24 hours.
I agree with Hass, it is the weekend, give it some time.

They won't leave you out to dry.
This almost reads as if he reached out to them and bob responded. Maybe I’m reading too much into it.

IIRC, when I did mine, for about 20 miles there was a bit of bogging feeling (nothing major), but it went away with car adjusting to the tune. Never came back. With any tune there are some “side effects” that tend to go away (erratic idle, misfire, etc). In most cases it’s not the tune that made anything faulty, but the tune may have just revealed that something has failed or was about to fail (gas pedal sensor, throttle body, etc). It not the tune’s fault.

I would advise you to reset adaptations and do vanos motor reset (it’s a must). Check your eccentric sensor just in case it got fouled during the install.

Keep us posted.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      04-08-2018, 04:06 PM   #92
Xencer
Enlisted Member
Rep

No check engine lights come on and the vehicle stores no codes. If the tune caused something to fail, I would see a CEL.

I'm sorry, but this is just very frustrating because I am an automotive technician with 6/8 ASE certifications and I have been trying to find a fault with the operation of the engine and all of my preliminary checks do not reveal any malfunctioning components.

What else can I point to other than the tune that was flashed? What am I supposed to think? I fix people's cars for a living and I've never heard of a car that has full power at less than half throttle and half power at full throttle.

I did not come on here to say BPC is a bad company or anything, just that I am disappointed with the results for the cost. All I have done to the engine is install a 3 stage IM, AFE intake, MILVs, and an axle back exhaust.

My next assumption is to check the pedal position sensor and make sure the car knows I want it at WOT.

If I could do engine parameter recordings during a test drive it would make my life much easier but I do not have a scan tool for BMW capable of that.
Appreciate 1
Volasko703.50
      04-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #93
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
No check engine lights come on and the vehicle stores no codes. If the tune caused something to fail, I would see a CEL.

I'm sorry, but this is just very frustrating because I am an automotive technician with 6/8 ASE certifications and I have been trying to find a fault with the operation of the engine and all of my preliminary checks do not reveal any malfunctioning components.

What else can I point to other than the tune that was flashed? What am I supposed to think? I fix people's cars for a living and I've never heard of a car that has full power at less than half throttle and half power at full throttle.

I did not come on here to say BPC is a bad company or anything, just that I am disappointed with the results for the cost. All I have done to the engine is install a 3 stage IM, AFE intake, MILVs, and an axle back exhaust.

My next assumption is to check the pedal position sensor and make sure the car knows I want it at WOT.

If I could do engine parameter recordings during a test drive it would make my life much easier but I do not have a scan tool for BMW capable of that.
TestO will record engine parameters, no problem. Just search for it.

Only need a dcan cable and a laptop.

Eccentric. Cam angles seem off. Max target should be 175 or so and you will achieve 173ish. 175.4 is the physical limit.
Appreciate 1
Xencer10.50
      04-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #94
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
If you get Testo running, I can help with the custom job config file.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #95
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

I think he has an issue with the Valvetronic motor itself. Did you try running it without* the tune to see if the problem continues? @Xencer ?

Last edited by Taskmaster; 04-09-2018 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #96
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
TestO will record engine parameters, no problem. Just search for it.

Only need a dcan cable and a laptop.

Eccentric. Cam angles seem off. Max target should be 175 or so and you will achieve 173ish. 175.4 is the physical limit.
Yeah, i was going to say - eccentic shaft angles greater that 180 degrees physically do not make sense.

I'm thinking there is likely a hardware issue, maybe why BPC is wanting you to bring the car to them - I'm sure they've sold dozzens of these tunes without issue, but sometimes things just do not work perfectly.

You can go back to AA but they can't tune for MILVS anyway..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 08:46 AM   #97
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Yeah, i was going to say - eccentic shaft angles greater that 180 degrees physically do not make sense.

I'm thinking there is likely a hardware issue, maybe why BPC is wanting you to bring the car to them - I'm sure they've sold dozzens of these tunes without issue, but sometimes things just do not work perfectly.

You can go back to AA but they can't tune for MILVS anyway..

Xencer
It looks like the car is indeed requesting the full life, but maybe try reinstalling the eccentric shaft motor?

You'll also need to run the car without the tune to see if it's tune related, but myself and a few others are running a variant version of this tune...
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      04-09-2018, 08:46 AM   #98
Bob@BPC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

A pm has been sent
Appreciate 2
Noir883.00
Taskmaster2465.00
      04-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #99
Xencer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well I did a few inspections of the valvetronic motor and eccentric shaft sensors and it seems as if those are working properly, I unplugged my DISA valves and test drive the car and it drove exactly the same, no mid range or top end power but plenty of torque. So I am going to condemn the disa valves since they came with my used 3 stage IM and order a new pair. I was just expecting a CEL if they were malfunctioning but the car didn't come with them so maybe that's why there are no codes. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to make it to BPC due to the distance and time but I am expecting new DISA valves will fix my problem.

Anyways, sorry to sidetrack the thread but the MILVs are a great power adder with the BPC tune and I highly recommend them both.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #100
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

you don't have any codes because the 328i tune doesn't account for them. If you have a BPC tune, I guess they didn't "turn on" the error codes needed for the flaps to trigger anything. I wouldn't base your diagnosis of failure on the lack of error codes alone, basically.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #101
Xencer
Enlisted Member
Rep

My diagnosis is from driving the car with the valves plugged in and then unplugging both and there is literally no change, not from a lack of a DTC? That was merely an observation.
Appreciate 1
Phyrexia502.50
      04-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #102
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
My diagnosis is from driving the car with the valves plugged in and then unplugging both and there is literally no change, not from a lack of a DTC? That was merely an observation.
Try testing them to see if they even work. Could be something simple like a fuse.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #103
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
This might sound crazy but obv. make sure you have the right tune from BPC (with the 3IM option so that the DME knows to use the DISAs). GL
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      04-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #104
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
This might sound crazy but obv. make sure you have the right tune from BPC (with the 3IM option so that the DME knows to use the DISAs). GL
^ Never hurts to reaffirm!
I had to when there was a typo in the tune I had gotten with burble in the past-
And evidently it ended up throwing a code afterwards lol.
Got it looked at, reconfigured, and sent back to me from Bob.
      04-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #105
Xencer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Replaced the DISA valves and it was needed but didnt fix my problem. Engine feels a bit more responsive though.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #106
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Replaced the DISA valves and it was needed but didnt fix my problem. Engine feels a bit more responsive though.
Have you tried running the car with the stock tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 10:27 AM   #107
Xencer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Have you tried running the car with the stock tune?
Hey bud, yeah I flashed the stock tune last night and it runs fine now. It was just embarrassing I would try to pass someone on the highway and my car bogs down and is slow as hell with all these mods, 3 stage intake, AFE intake, MILVs, and BPC tune. With the stock tune it runs fine up til redline and pulls strong.

I did pull a soft code from the DME for 29E0 fuel mixture control which does not set with the stock tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 10:35 AM   #108
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Hey bud, yeah I flashed the stock tune last night and it runs fine now. It was just embarrassing I would try to pass someone on the highway and my car bogs down and is slow as hell with all these mods, 3 stage intake, AFE intake, MILVs, and BPC tune. With the stock tune it runs fine up til redline and pulls strong.

I did pull a soft code from the DME for 29E0 fuel mixture control which does not set with the stock tune.
It sounds like a bad O2 sensor, and in that case the code will come back and so will the problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #109
Xencer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
It sounds like a bad O2 sensor, and in that case the code will come back and so will the problems.
I hate to say this but your assumptions are incorrect, this is the second time I have flashed the stock tune and there are no issues and when I flash the .MOD file all my problems reappear. Also this BMW uses A/F sensors not O2 sensors to control air fuel mixture. The A/F voltage readings do not indicate a rich or lean bias or a "stuck" condition.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:14 PM   #110
Bob@BPC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Quote:
I hate to say this but your assumptions are incorrect, this is the second time I have flashed the stock tune and there are no issues and when I flash the .MOD file all my problems reappear. Also this BMW uses A/F sensors not O2 sensors to control air fuel mixture. The A/F voltage readings do not indicate a rich or lean bias or a "stuck" condition.
It would be best if you can get me some logs using the methods people posted here in this threat, unfortunately snap ons PIDS are incorrect most of time when it comes to euro cars(we own an ethos with the euro pack).

If you can get me some logs or get it on a dyno I can adjust the tune at no cost to you. I just need more info to make changes if needed, but like others have stated this same tune is being ran on multiple cars without the issue you are having.
Appreciate 0