E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Replacig DISA valve #2 inner Valve, any shortcuts?

04-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330chino

Replacig DISA valve #2 inner Valve, any shortcuts?

Getting error 2AAC, meaning the inner disa valve in the air manifold.

Checked the outter one and seems to be working fine, so is deff the inner one.

Ive seen a few videos to remove the entire air manifold, and DISA #2 seems to be inside the manifold, and looks like i gotta remove it to get to it.

However, that seems like a headache, is there an easier way to get to it? possibly removing the alternator and doing it via there?

Looks like if i remove the alternator, airbox, and possibly the oil filter area, might do the trick (the oil filter is a llittle pain in the a# to remove, but i rather do that than the entire manifold.)

Anyone got a tip or way to replace that #2 DISA VALVE without removing the entire manifold?
Attached Images

Last edited by 330istocknot; 04-29-2018 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330istocknot View Post

Ive seen a few videos to remove the entire air manifold, and DISA #2 seems to be inside the manifold, and looks like i gotta remove it to get to it.

However, that seems like a headache, is there an easier way to get to it? possibly removing the alternator and doing it via there?

Looks like if i remove the alternator, airbox, and possibly the oil filter area, might do the trick (the oil filter is a llittle pain in the a# to remove, but i rather do that than the entire manifold.)

Anyone got a tip or way to replace that #2 DISA VALVE without removing the entire manifold?
No you have to remove the manifold
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6014.50
      04-30-2018, 05:47 PM   #3
Zajac1
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i MT

Quote:

To move manifold isn't as bad as you think : ) Pretty easy process. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 09:35 PM   #4
AWSB328iM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajac1 View Post
Quote:

To move manifold isn't as bad as you think : ) Pretty easy process. Good luck
Less than 2 hours to remove the manifold if you are doing it for the first time.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 01:09 AM   #5
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
I just installed my 3IM but found out I have to replace my DISA valves. I don't think there are any real shortcuts but you might be able to remove the small DISA without removing the intake manifold completely (just loosen it). You'll have to remove the large DISA and TB to access the screws for it and most likely disconnect the PCV hoses.

I followed the video below and my first time took ~4 hours at a slow pace. I expect to replace the DISA valves much quicker the second time around.

Appreciate 1
      05-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I just installed my 3IM but found out I have to replace my DISA valves. I don't think there are any real shortcuts but you might be able to remove the small DISA without removing the intake manifold completely (just loosen it). You'll have to remove the large DISA and TB to access the screws for it and most likely disconnect the PCV hoses.

I followed the video below and my first time took ~4 hours at a slow pace. I expect to replace the DISA valves much quicker the second time around.

Part seems to get here tomorrow.

Everything seems to be breaking on my car atm... Got a misfire while at a stop light, on cyl #6, so i try to swap coils with #3, as soon as i pull #3 coil, the coil broke in half... now i had to buy 2 coils instead of one... Long story short, it was the coil that went bad. So car is working fine again without misfire, with 2 new coils. Now waiting for DISA #2 to get here and tackle that down to have a good running e90... Unless something else breaks within the next 2 days...(e90 please dont! )
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 12:12 AM   #7
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

I might take my words back. I removed my single stage intake manifold as I was upgrading to 3 stage IM. I replaced the OFHG while there was no intake manifold in the engine. I think you should be able to reach inside if you have small hand and arm. The screws of the small DISA are located on the outside of the manifold. So that being said, you do not have to unscrew anything from the inside. To take apart the OFH only takes 20mins MAX, and if the OFHG has never been replaced or time to be replaced, this is the right time.

I am not sure if the small disa can fit through the small gap, but if you can get that black hose out of the way, im 80% sure at a certain angle the disa can come out.

See pic for reference

Last edited by Blueeyesredpanda; 05-02-2018 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #8
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update

Update:

Today i finally got around to replacing the DISA VALVE #2 in side the manifold.

It looks like it was stuck open.

Well.. as usual, i fix something and break something else..

When losening up the intake manifold, i move the breather hose and heard a crack, then moved it agian and there was another crack.. long story short, it needs to be replaced... spent 6 hours looking for the part, nobody carries it... Even my 3 dealers near by can't have it till Monday..

Mother's day tomorrow... and i cant take mother out for dinner... Be careful with this part when doing this job... I will update once the part is here to see if the error 2aac goes away after replacing the inner disa #2...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-12-2018, 08:45 PM   #9
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Check my 3 stage swap thread. I remade my own hoses. Those plastic hoses are shit, some people manage not to break them but they are in the minority.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2018, 09:12 PM   #10
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

They're a total pain in the ass to work with. I must be the luckiest owner, I've popped that hose off 4 times now doing repairs and it's still in tact.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #11
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
They're a total pain in the ass to work with. I must be the luckiest owner, I've popped that hose off 4 times now doing repairs and it's still in tact.
Same 😂😂 there is a trick to pop that off, you need a flat head screw driver and a strong finger
Appreciate 1
b1aze565.50
      05-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #12
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

The "trick" with mine was the factory wrapped the hoses around the $&%*€×@ starter wires. There is no way youre getting that off without breaking them - not only can you not see them, theres no way to reach them to pop them off the connectors (which is not the issue at all). I couldnt move the manifold more than 1/2".
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 10:48 PM   #13
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
The "trick" with mine was the factory wrapped the hoses around the $&%*€×@ starter wires. There is no way youre getting that off without breaking them - not only can you not see them, theres no way to reach them to pop them off the connectors (which is not the issue at all). I couldnt move the manifold more than 1/2".

Just read your threat. How is the hose holding up? BTW what goes through this hose? it is like abunch of oil that can leak through there? etc.

Also, what size hose did you use, and what was the length, i feel like going to AUTOZONE right now and making my own. Found your thread here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1336790&page=4
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 06:00 AM   #14
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Here’s how I remade mine for my manifold swap. Pretty straightforward, auto parts store tubing and 2 hose clamps.

Appreciate 2
      05-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #15
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Same there is a trick to pop that off, you need a flat head screw driver and a strong finger
I first spray it down with Wurth silicone spray to moisten it, then used a pick to lever it off. Worked everytime. Still a bitch to release it sometimes.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #16
Zajac1
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i MT

I'm using small channellock always to play with these hoses and never broke any (for now).
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #17
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep

UPDATE: After replacing DISA VALVE

I just went and bought the hose for $70 at a dealer nearby...

It has been 200 miles since i replaced the inner disa valve...

A few good reports.

The car does not hesitate anymore when going uphill, nor RPMs bounce around when driving or when at a stop. The 2AAC code is gone!

Car runs so smooth, and the idle is just so steady, car feels like it is off! Thats how good it feels.

Now that that code is gone, here is my last and final code i need to figure out.

29F4
29F5

Which indicate something is wrong with Catalytic converter... \

Like i said, the car is running lawless, is there a MUST to fix this problem with the left over codes, or is it something that can be ignored.

When i first bought the car it had 6 codes, which are the following, and how i repair them all, except the 29F4 and 29F5...Those are pending.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-09-2019, 01:45 AM   #18
AlexKoast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 TiAg 335i 6MT

Just logging in to throw some appreciation down. I've removed my Intake Manifold once already to get that damn starter out and will be doing it again to swap out my two DISAs. I picked up the VAICO DISAs after seeing some primarily positive reviews on them.
      05-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #19
Jagtem
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i / 2004 F150 /2009 R1

Funny this just got bumped. I've got the 2AAC code, so I'm gonna go ahead and replace both DISA valves. Just doing some preliminary research to see how involved this job is going to be. Might be back in here with questions if I run in to problems.

Since I bought this car a few months ago, I've suspected that it's a little bit down on low-end torque. The power seems to really only come on above 4500RPM or so. Would it be reasonable to assume that I might gain back some of that low end performance with correctly operating DISA valves?

Last edited by Jagtem; 05-09-2019 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 05:29 AM   #20
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagtem View Post
Funny this just got bumped. I've got the 2AAC code, so I'm gonna go ahead and replace both DISA valves. Just doing some preliminary research to see how involved this job is going to be. Might be back in here with questions if I run in to problems.

Since I bought this car a few months ago, I've suspected that it's a little bit down on low-end torque. The power seems to really only come on above 4500RPM or so. Would it be reasonable to assume that I might gain back some of that low end performance with correctly operating DISA valves?
yes. Small DISA kicks in about 2300, and large somewhere after 4k. Haasmachine logged it here somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 05:42 AM   #21
johnmyster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 n52

I've swapped the small DISA without pulling the manifold. It can be done, especially if you're swapping the large DISA anyway.

Pulled airbox, intake hose, large DISA and throttle body. Dropped belt from alternator and undid alternator bolts. Left wires on alternator and set it into the area where the airbox was. Undid the small disa screws and used a long screwdriver to disconnect the wires and pull it out of the manifold. Then removed it from the front. OFH was not in the way.

Edit: To be clear, I did it without unbolting the manifold, which meant the engine cover didn't need to be removed, and the cowl stayed in place also.

Last edited by johnmyster; 05-11-2019 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #22
Jagtem
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i / 2004 F150 /2009 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmyster View Post
I've swapped the small DISA without pulling the manifold. It can be done, especially if you're swapping the large DISA anyway.

Pulled airbox, intake hose, large DISA and throttle body. Dropped belt from alternator and undid alternator bolts. Left wires on alternator and set it into the area where the airbox was. Undid the small disa screws and used a long screwdriver to disconnect the wires and pull it out of the manifold. Then removed it from the front. OFH was not in the way.
Good info. I think I'm going to do the OFHG while I'm in there. Parts should be in tomorrow.
Appreciate 0